Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key has become flaky?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sbtz

Jan 18, 2016
CA
I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro Max on iOS 13 and 3.10.2 of the Tesla app -- for the entire life of my car, the phone key has been rock solid, maybe failing 2-3 times over the past year. Lately though, and this does not coincide with any iOS or car updates, it hasn't been working well. It requires waking (but not unlocking) the phone to unlock the car. There was a relatively recent Tesla app update, but I can't seem to pinpoint when it stopped working. I've rebooted both the car and the phone to no avail.

Has anyone else recently developed phone-key issues?

I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro Max on iOS 13 and 3.10.2 of the Tesla app -- for the entire life of my car, the phone key has been rock solid, maybe failing 2-3 times over the past year. Lately though, and this does not coincide with any iOS or car updates, it hasn't been working well. It requires waking (but not unlocking) the phone to unlock the car. There was a relatively recent Tesla app update, but I can't seem to pinpoint when it stopped working. I've rebooted both the car and the phone to no avail.

yep. Same here. I’m tempted to blame iOS 13 - everything else in it is buggy; why would I expect the Bluetooth stack to be any better?

On your phone, in Settings, scroll to the Tesla app (way down the list .. its alphabetical) and check you have "Location" set to "Always", "Bluetooth" enabled, and "Background App Refresh" enabled.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz
On your phone, in Settings, scroll to the Tesla app (way down the list .. its alphabetical) and check you have "Location" set to "Always", "Bluetooth" enabled, and "Background App Refresh" enabled.
I posted my experience with this on another thread. I checked these settings you describe. Still have issues. For some reason, my trunk always seems to open with no issue when I press the trunk release on the car, but then I close the trunk and walk to the driver door, won't unlock. The car must see the phone because the trunk opens. I'm confused.

I am on iOS 12.4.1

I posted my experience with this on another thread. I checked these settings you describe. Still have issues. For some reason, my trunk always seems to open with no issue when I press the trunk release on the car, but then I close the trunk and walk to the driver door, won't unlock. The car must see the phone because the trunk opens. I'm confused.

I am on iOS 12.4.1

Do you have access to another phone you can try (a friends temporarily?) .. that way you can at least determine if its the car or the phone that is the problem. Also, does Bluetooth work fine on your phone for other devices?

You might also try removing your phone as a key and re-adding it .. I'm sure someone has already suggested this, and in theory it shouldn't make any difference, but its possible the car BT stack got wedged and this might clear that.

Do you have access to another phone you can try (a friends temporarily?) .. that way you can at least determine if its the car or the phone that is the problem. Also, does Bluetooth work fine on your phone for other devices?

You might also try removing your phone as a key and re-adding it .. I'm sure someone has already suggested this, and in theory it shouldn't make any difference, but its possible the car BT stack got wedged and this might clear that.
I will try my wife's phone, she has a profile and key setup. Will report back.

Reactions: drtimhill

I've been having the same issues with my iPhone 7 Plus for the last few months, previously it worked fine. The above settings didn't help.

Last edited:
I've been having the same issues with my iPhone 7 Plus for the last few months, previously it worked fine. The above settings didn't help.

Same with me. Things have been great for a year, and then a couple weeks ago this started happening. Seems to be only on the driver's side of the car (front and rear doors). If I take my phone out of my pocket, that will invariably work, even though rubbing up provocatively near the door handle with my phone in my pocket does not. ;) It is quite strange. I tried restarting my phone, I checked the settings above, etc. iOS 13.1.3...I guess I should update to iOS 13.2.3. iPhone X

Last edited:
Same experience here. iPhone XS Max (iOS 13 with all updates and 2019.36.2.3) and has been working flawlessly since I got the car 2 months ago. About 2 weeks ago, it became very flaky. Tried deleting the app and the phone from the car but still no luck....

Reactions: BourneM3
I see a lot of iPhone users here. Just wanted to add that I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 that was great from delivery in September until a couple weeks ago. Now I almost always need to use the key card if I don't want to fumble with my phone. Strangely, I have also noticed the trunk will still open.

Reactions: strykeroz
I don't remember precisely when this started happening - it could have been less than 2 weeks ago. There was an iOS Tesla App update version 3.10.2 about 1 week ago, and maybe it is related? Anyone here know for sure they had this problem come up, just before updating to that version of the app (it's the one that shows the miles/% on the slider)? I can't imagine how it could be related since it seems to be tied to one side of the car in particular...but still...

I see a lot of iPhone users here. Just wanted to add that I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 that was great from delivery in September until a couple weeks ago. Now I almost always need to use the key card if I don't want to fumble with my phone. Strangely, I have also noticed the trunk will still open.
Same. But to throw in another variant, Nokia 8 (which runs vanilla android). Only in the past couple of weeks, but find myself toggling airplane mode to get into the car. Or grabbing the keycard when I'm in too much of a hurry.

I feel similar like the rest of your folks, lately my iphone 11 pro with latest iOS 13.2 does not always work. For me, often after update i need to log back in. Does seem to be random, have not been able to pinpoint what causes it. I guess having a dedicating FOB is the answer, as it only has one role and one role only. Thats why i have keycard with me for those times when phone wont open at all or crashes, runs out of battery etc. I dont mind this as i dont have to carry key and or fob

I guess having a dedicating FOB is the answer, as it only has one role and one role only. Thats why i have keycard with me for those times when phone wont open at all or crashes, runs out of battery etc.

The issue is it's not working as Tesla said it's supposed to be, with our phones. We should not have to buy Tesla's $150 FOB, a device that is insanely overpriced. And yes, we should always have the keycard with us as a backup, which is something Tesla has recommended from the start. But I honestly wish the Model 3 didn't have the keycard and instead had a FOB. The keycard is inconvenient when you're trying to just get into the passenger door or trunk.

Reactions: sbtz