Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photo of X with cameras for side mirrors.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of the photos on Tesla's homepage were updated several months ago to show it with cameras only. Presumably Elon either expects the federal laws on mirrors to be changed by the time it reaches production, or Tesla to be granted an exception.
Walter

So is the X going to have more cargo space than an S? What are the expected benefits?
AWD, 3rd row step in seating to name the major ones.

Link: Model X | Tesla Motors

AG4uRyX.png

All of the photos on Tesla's homepage were updated several months ago to show it with cameras only. Presumably Elon either expects the federal laws on mirrors to be changed by the time it reaches production, or Tesla to be granted an exception.

Yes I realize that Tesla changed how they portray the X on their website but those images don't like like real life photos. The image I linked to in my OP is the first real life photo of an X without side mirrors.

That is very cool, but at this point no side view mirrors aren't legal. I hope Tesla is not being overly optimistic. I assume Tesla is confident they will be allowed to use side cameras instead of mirrors.

Regardless of what pictures are shown now, Elon reiterated today that the production Model X looks different than anything we've seen thus far. The pictures on the website are the concept, and the production model is supposed to look even better. You can bet that it'll be designed with cameras in mind, but until that's approved it will have mirrors.

Any speculation as to where the images from the rear view mirror cameras will be displayed? The obvious assumption is that they will be given permanent real estate on the main screen. I'm not sure I'm a fan of that though. If I select the back up camera view while I'm driving my Model S, I find it very disorienting and kind of gives me motion sickness. I don't know why that image of backward motion within the cabin has that effect and motion in the regular outside rearview mirrors does not. Maybe it's because the motion in the outside mirrors is surrounded by other motion (because it's outside the window) and my brain expects the environment inside the cabin to be still. Anyone else have this experience?

Any speculation as to where the images from the rear view mirror cameras will be displayed? The obvious assumption is that they will be given permanent real estate on the main screen. I'm not sure I'm a fan of that though. If I select the back up camera view while I'm driving my Model S, I find it very disorienting and kind of gives me motion sickness. I don't know why that image of backward motion within the cabin has that effect and motion in the regular outside rearview mirrors does not. Maybe it's because the motion in the outside mirrors is surrounded by other motion (because it's outside the window) and my brain expects the environment inside the cabin to be still. Anyone else have this experience?
The only data point we have is the drawing on the Model X page. It shows the camera images displayed on the dash screen, where the nav and media info is displayed on the S. However, that's a 2 year old artists representation. They could have a totally different system now.

Any speculation as to where the images from the rear view mirror cameras will be displayed? The obvious assumption is that they will be given permanent real estate on the main screen. I'm not sure I'm a fan of that though.

Would be nice if the turn signal stalk had 3 positions. 1st position would show you (on the dash) the camera view of the side your pressing. 2nd, turn signal while you're hold it (with camera). 3rd, turn signal stays in that position (with camera).

Of course regulations may dictate that they are on all the time.