TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Photographers: How do I get the lights to stay on for photos?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by carrerascott, Mar 14, 2013.

1. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

2. Bearman

Bearman Member

Dont own the car but I have heard that the car would stay on if you put the car in park via touchscreen and not the stalk.
    Might be worth a try and hope it is correct and sorry if not.

3. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

First, make sure that there are no chances for someone (kids most likely) to enter the car and manipulate anything. This is very important for obvious safety reasons.

Then, place a 20 - 30 lb (or roughly 10 - 14 kg) weight on the driver's seat. Press the brake pedal and see if the car turns on. If not, add a little more weight. I have used my 3-day survival pack which weighs roughly 25 lbs. Once you do, you can set the lights to whatever you desire, including fogs.

Take beautiful pictures.

Post on TMC.

Sit back and enjoy as everyone admires your photographic prowess.:biggrin:

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You usually only want the lights on for a short time(especially for a long exposure) so can use the iPhone or Andeoid app to flash lights. I'll have to check later but that may flash more than DRLs so may not help you. Can't wait to see the photos.

5. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Hmmm. Guess I'll have to bring a sandbag along with me next time. Too bad there's not a way around that! Might try it this evening during dusk... now what do I have around the house that weighs 30lbs and won't damage the seat...

6. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

There's an option to leave the lights on after you exit the car but I think it only lasts for 2 minutes and you'd have to repeat for each (2 minute) series of shots but it should work.

7. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Fogs won't stay on though...

8. dsm363

Looks like headlights come on too with the flash lights on mobile app.

9. JoshG

JoshG Member

Bring a kid or a small (or flexible) adult that can sit on the seat, hold the brake pedal, and duck down.

10. Dr.Ling

Dr.Ling Member

I don't understand why the car is set up this way. What if I'd need to stop on a stretch of road in the dark and get out of the car. I'd definitely want the lights to stay on so other cars coming from behind could see my car.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

What happens if you put the 4-way flashers on? Does it change the behaviour--haven't tried this on mine.

12. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

When I was at the Great Plains store in NY I noticed the lights on the display car
    were always on. I asked one of the Tesla guys about it and he said they had the option set on for that. However, I forgot to ask him if that option is accessible only to tesla reps.

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

You can have the headlights stay on when you get out for 2 mins or so, but those are all the lights -- would prefer just the DRL lights sometimes. I guess for now, you need dead or live weight in the driver's seat to do it.

14. dsm363

Can you cover up the sensor (wherever it is) to make the car think it is dark outside without ruining the picture?

15. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

It will still shut the lights off even if it's dark, if there's no weight on the driver's seat.

16. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Ask your service center how to set the option to leave the DRL lights on when not in the car.

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The lights shut off because it's an electric car. It would be like leaving an ICE car running out of gasoline It would be reeeeealy bad.

That said, maybe for roadside safety the make it a very difficult several screen process with lots of pop up warnings to turn them on while parked. Or maybe they only stay on when the emergency flashers are on.

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

4-way flashers are a better solution for that. I had a friend who was nearly killed in his car at the side of the road with just his normal lights on. The other guy saw the tail lights and thought he was under way and smashed right into the back of him. It's lucky he wasn't standing outside near the car!

19. Dr.Ling

Dr.Ling Member

Emergency- / hazardlights / 4 way flashers would also cause other cars to stop to check if I'm ok :)
    What if I need to use the cars lights as a light source, for instance to help another driver change wheels by the road in the dark?

20. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I've already encountered a real-world situation where I needed this. I was dropping off envelopes in the mailboxes of my tenants at night (a moonless night), and there were no street lights. Every time I pulled up to a mailbox and got out of the car, the lights went out and it became difficult to see the mailbox and the envelopes. Solution was of course to turn on walk-away lights.