Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my Tesla in early December, worst car I've ever owned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange result. Plugging your data into ABRP, which uses real-world data for its predictions, shows your car, a 2021 Performance with 20" tires, would do that trip at 284Wh/mile. Yes, ABRP is using the 27F temps, 67F interior, and speeds the OP specified, 68mph max, etc. 34min trip, 31 miles, 13% SOC used, 9.1kWh, 284Wh/mile.

Are your brakes dragging? And, what app are you using?
View attachment 771053
My wife's 5mi commute usually takes 25-35minutes with traffic. thats a lot of heating the battery and cabin for such little mileage. hence horrific commute efficiency. I bet OPs commute is similar. As far as long trips with the Mach-e it has been much much more efficient.

• Informative
Reactions: jkeyser14 and KenC
Just eyeballing it - doesn't look like much regenerative braking. Do you have the car set for one-pedal driving (slow down by putting energy back in the pack vs dumping it out the brakes)?

I don't have your cold weather, but my larger heavier Model Y on 20" wheels easily attains 250 to 270 WH/mile

Regen is on and I rarely have to brake. I can go entire trips in the city without touching it once.
Excellent approach, true engineering style solution. If necessary, drive same distance (without hypermiling each other) at approximately same speeds at the approximately same time. Preferably start with same overnight cold situation.

FWIW when I had a loaner (my car came with non functional AP and cruise control) I was pleasantly surprised at how good the range was. Not a 1:1, but I’d never seen a result as low as the 275 Wh/mi I got going home.
Could this be a summer tire issue?

The car is unchanged since I bought it. I’d be fine with that answer if someone else with a similar setup experiences similar range. That’d at least show it isn’t just me.

So far it’s been “your car is messed up bro” to “you have a performance edition, expect max range of 140-150 miles.”

My wife's 5mi commute usually takes 25-35minutes with traffic. thats a lot of heating the battery and cabin for such little mileage. hence horrific commute efficiency. I bet OPs commute is similar. As far as long trips with the Mach-e it has been much much more efficient.
Are the newer 3’s actively heating the battery without a supercharger selected as a destination?

Could this be a summer tire issue?
Would not be a summer tire issue.

Summer tires should not be used in cold temps because the compound that is used, stiffens and can crack in cold temps. Summer tire can actually lose traction in the winter due to this. No affect on milage.
These problems can start occurring with summers tires at temps below 40F.

P cars with summers tires in cold temps can be a problem. Always has been.

P cars do fine with energy usage unless you're hammering it all the time. My 18 M3P has lifetime average of 256wh/mi with 32K. Stealth with 18" and no summer tires. Great driving car.

Last edited:
Folks that buy a performance car and then complain about range are missing something, though your range does seem to be low. But it sounds like you've tried to solve the issues.

I wonder if you could trade cars with a near Tesla owner and see if the range drops when he drives your car, or if HIS car returns the same range that yours is giving. That would at least narrow the problem. If both cars give poor range with you driving them, and he gets good range from both cars, there's something wrong with the driver. If your car gives poor range with him driving your car, there's something wrong with the car.

Then again, it looks like you're in Chicago. COLD. Affects. Range. Wind also affects range.
The point isn't that it's a performance car and is getting poor efficiency...the point is it's a performance car that's getting poor efficiency relative to the rest of the M3 Performance fleet by multiple times. This is a relative comparison to same model cars.

The best way to solve this issue is to compare it directly to other identical models on the same routes and see what happens. If they all perform the same, then case solved. If they do not, then there is something specifically different to the OP's car.

After a drive, take an infrared temperature gun and take readings off the brake discs. They should be ice cold since you almost never use them with 1 pedal driving. But if one of them is hotter than the others, there could be a stuck caliper or rear emergency brakes that aren't releasing all the way.

I'd imagine if it's a motor/electrical issues you'd see error messages pop up. If there's anything wrong with the car it's likely to be a physical issue IMO.

Reactions: BeeGood and KenC
After a drive, take an infrared temperature gun and take readings off the brake discs. They should be ice cold since you almost never use them with 1 pedal driving. But if one of them is hotter than the others, there could be a stuck caliper or rear emergency brakes that aren't releasing all the way.

I'd imagine if it's a motor/electrical issues you'd see error messages pop up. If there's anything wrong with the car it's likely to be a physical issue IMO.
Tbh I've had a sticky calliper before, you can touch a working calliper and it's cool. You'll know if it's sticky as you'll feel the heat from a foot away.

Edit just got my mistake too, apparently in 2069 fsd is still in beta🤣. I meant 2019 69 model 3 to compare to the op.

To the OP
1. you have all the data from many users on range
2. Print the important parts
3. Go to the Tesla service center with this.
4. If they still say you should only get 100 miles a charge ask them to put in writing.
5. Try a different service center
6. Get a lawyer/ sell the car
7. We all feel the car is broken

8. Call it a day, let's all go get a beer

The car is unchanged since I bought it. I’d be fine with that answer if someone else with a similar setup experiences similar range. That’d at least show it isn’t just me.

So far it’s been “your car is messed up bro” to “you have a performance edition, expect max range of 140-150 miles.”

and noone has , so what does that tell you?

Man, that sucks. Sorry to read that. I have a Performance as well, and I can tell you I don't see anywhere near the kind of efficiency that some folks here with non-P's are posting. Lifetime for me is 309w-hr/mi, and that is with 87,000 miles. It is a good 20% worse in the cold, and Knoxville doesn't have cold like Chicago. I don't precondition mine because I don't always leave at the same time (and it doesn't get cold enough to give me that snowflake icon thing to do a single use pre-condition). But mine doesn't have the heat pump, so yours shouldn't see as big of a hit. Hills and rain are also range killers. In the Summer, on road trips going a bit under 80, I can average 260w-hr/mi maybe? Yesterday I was closer to 330. Will try to see what today is (another ~250 mile round trip - in the summer, I can do it on a single charge, but not in the winter, especially since I didn't change my wheels and tires out to my longer range ones).

I'm not sure how much of a factor vampire drain is, but since you can't charge at home, that is surely a factor. As one poster stated above, if you can't charge at home or work, an EV is a tough vehicle to deal with, at least in the winter. A bit ironic, but in the Summer months, you'll probably find the 3 is a great fit, but those are also the months you'll probably want to take the 458 out, or 911 if that is replacing it. You wouldn't have any ability to have 220V service run to the garage, would you? Kind of surprised upscale condo's don't have provisions, I have seen them an AirBnB in Nashville I've been to.

I work in IT support, and we get calls about poor performance often. It’s a config issue 99% of the time, but we work the call anyway to catch that 1% where it really is our fault.

I’m guessing the SC’s similarly get range complaints, and 99% are self-inflicted (or within spec). I think this is one of the rare cases where the poor efficiency is actually a symptom, and you just need to find a SC that knows how to troubleshoot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.