Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my Tesla in early December, worst car I've ever owned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's slightly more subtle: iC cars are already so inefficient with their use of fuel that they are somewhat oblivious to the losses from heating, high speeds, etc.

Electric cars carry the equivalent of a 2 gallon tank of gas, and are -super- frugal with it. If an IC car burns a whole gallon of each of it's tanks to heat the car and slog thru the rain, it's not big deal against the 18 gallon tank. That same exact added load against the 2-gallon-equivalent battery is much more noticeable.

Agreed a lot of it is "perception". I can't imagine on a BMW or F-150 forum owners being as picky and whinny as Tesla owners. Almost makes me embarrassed to own one.

So far it’s been “your car is messed up bro” to “you have a performance edition, expect max range of 140-150 miles.”

I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance and I've complained since day 1 about it's range not coming anywhere close to the 310miles. It was absolutely positively a lie because they used smaller wheels instead of the 20" ones that come standard with the car.

In any case my expectation was to be be able to go on a 200 mile from from a 90% charge, and arrive at above 10% while averaging around 75mph. I can really only do that if I charge to 100% or close to it during the summer.

The actual real world road trip range is closer to 150miles, but that's 150 miles with 20% buffer (10% at the low and only starting with 90%), and this is in the cold (well cold for the PNW).

So I think something is different with your wheel/tire setup or something is wrong with your car.

Personally if I was in your financial position I'd have a Taycan.

A Taycan is what you want so I'm not sure why you're slumming it in a Model 3. The Taycan is setup to exceed or meet its rated range especially at 75+mph.

You must have missed the fit and finish stuff a few years back.
This is a place to say how unhappy you are not how happy you are.
That is important information as is folks pointing out flaws, there
is only so much we can talk about tires and rims. never mind
happy hour

I paid attention "back then" and probably why I only finally pulled the trigger on our first in Sept and picked up second yesterday. But I have no illusions that a couple years from now they will even be better. I guess I have more realistic expectations than some...I also remember what BMW's were like in the 80's and 90's and never owned one. LOL

For me life is too short to whine...its no way to live IMHO.

Last edited:
The best problems are first-world problems

I don't even have the first-world problems. My Tesla is silent, no rattles, no gaps - the worst thing I can say about it is the rear view mirror is slightly dimmer than I'd prefer (but the backup camera is outstanding and has a better view anyway). I don't think I can carry that complaint as a major cross to bear as I laugh past the IC cars idling away at the $6 gasoline line

I don't even have the first-world problems. My Tesla is silent, no rattles, no gaps - the worst thing I can say about it is the rear view mirror is slightly dimmer than I'd prefer (but the backup camera is outstanding and has a better view anyway). I don't think I can carry that complaint as a major cross to bear as I laugh past the IC cars idling away at the $6 gasoline line
What's funny is that in the UK that's about our normal fuel price. There's some places on motorways already charging £2 a litre which would be almost $10. Our none invasion price is about £1.30 a litre so about what you are paying now. What I'm saying is you guys have it so cheap normally:p.

What's funny is that in the UK that's about our normal fuel price. There's some places on motorways already charging £2 a litre which would be almost $10. Our none invasion price is about £1.30 a litre so about what you are paying now. What I'm saying is you guys have it so cheap normally:p.

That's interesting. I wonder how that relates to an average salary though. Perhaps the income to fuel price ratio is similar in both countries.

What's funny is that in the UK that's about our normal fuel price.

The petrol price is mostly tax, which is why we had a revolution against the crown in the first place.

In all seriousness tho, America is built that so one must drive literally everywhere. Public transport is for the poor, and walking is for the homeless.

Our entire economy is built on cheap individual transportation, which is why Tesla’s mission is so important.

The petrol price is mostly tax, which is why we had a revolution against the crown in the first place.

In all seriousness tho, America is built that so one must drive literally everywhere. Public transport is for the poor, and walking is for the homeless.

Our entire economy is built on cheap individual transportation, which is why Tesla’s mission is so important.

The electric bicycles are also starting to find a niche, which is great

Reactions: WhiteWi
I picked a new Model 3 Performance in December. I wanted a car for normal city driving and the occasional road trip a few hours away. My other car is a sportscar that is deathly allergic to any temperature below 50 degrees so I thought this would be the perfect addition. I live in a high rise with a garage that while not being heated, typically only goes down to about 40 degrees at the coldest.

I live in the Midwest where it can get down to the teens so I expected some range loss in cold weather, but the real world range I'm seeing is nowhere near reasonable. And this cold weather the following data is in was 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

For example, a 80 minute drive on the highway, never exceeding 80 mph used up about 51 kWh, for a Wh/mi of 518.
I then charged for an hour and preconditioned, only to make it 120 miles, averaging 68 mph, with a Wh/mi of nearly 460.

When I complained I was told "this is a city car, not a roadtrip car", so now I rent cars for my drives anywhere outside of 120 miles and drive it around the city. I still have never seen a full charge make it 130 miles without scrambling for a supercharger.

My usage while baby'ing the throttle with it in chill mode still ranges between 393 at the lowest and 1352 Wh/mi at the highest, with the only times it's under 600 Wh/mi is when it's preconditioned. I've also stopped using the seat and steering wheel warmers and keep the climate below 67 degrees on low to try and save energy.

I'm also not saving on gas, not even accounting for the wasted time it takes to charge vs filling up a tank. I charged 22 kWh yesterday (on a supercharger), which took 20 minutes. That's 27% of my range and based on historical data that should go about 40 miles. It cost $9, which is the equivalent to about 2.3 gallons of unleaded and I can tell you 17 mpg is below average for me in my other car.

Everyone I've talked to says that a total range of about 150 miles is the absolute best I can expect when it's below 45 degrees, and when I've called Tesla for support they've stated the same. And they said driving it a few times a week around the city I should expect around 75 miles from a full charge because the battery needs to get to operating temp. lol. Imagine an ICE car saying the best range you can expect is 75 miles.

So now I have a new Tesla that is useless for road trips and useless around the city.
Okay rambling rant over. Anyone want to buy this amazing car?
Would you send it to Switzerland? We are a small country 😊 no need for a huge range!
In your case I would recommend you to buy a Lucid and forget about Tesla 😉
I’m very satisfied with my boosted M3 LR bought last September. Nothing to complain.
i must be a lucky guy or an exception?

Others have probably already mentioned it, but if you are parking outside or somewhere cold, not preconditioning, and only driving a short ways (10 miles or less) the car is probably spending a lot of energy trying to get the battery temp up.

I had a similar issue with my model s. If I parked it outside during the winter and forgot to plug it in, it would be freezing in the morning (below 32F), and During my 6 mile drive to work I’d average 500wh per mile.

It would be interesting to see if you get similar results now that it is getting warmer.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Status
Not open for further replies.