Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my Tesla in early December, worst car I've ever owned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your disagreement. :D

Or at least think the term "mainstream" might be a little nebulous. I'd suggest there's a large number of people that use a vehicle for pretty common, daily type things, like school drop off, groceries, a work commute - in the 30-50 miles a day range. That's typical use, that's the people that could easily switch to an EV.

There's several, I'm using both Tessie (iOS app) and TeslaScope (web), there's a free tier as well as a paid for both.

Here's a short trip we took yesterday:

View attachment 780961
View attachment 780960

It was like 75/25 mixed highway/city, ~55-58°, 3 passengers, driving pretty freely, i.e., accelerating when it was fun, cruising casually other times, a typical mix. Home to Ikea, Ikea to a close restaurant we decided to bail on, that place to where we did eat (which was awesome :D) and from there back home (that's the 4 lines of "driving activity" on each chart). It also includes data such as air temp, speed, etc.

Tessie also allows integration with automations, so I have Apple Watch voice activated trunk, mirrors, lock, it's pretty slick.
Those figures can’t be right.....three people and an IKEA flatpack in a Model3🤷‍♂️.....can’t be done

You didn’t stay for the Swedish Meatballs??

Hahaha, no, they're excellent, but we don't really dig on sitting in "cafe" like that, we occasionally just get them to go. We have a friend that makes Swedish style and uses this thick, sweet-ish type sauce - they're like a wake up at 1am, heat 'em up and go nuts kind of good :D

"Are you eating those meatballs?"

"OMG, yeah, they're so good!"

"Oh, wow, go grab a bottle of wine and another plate ..."

:p

The place we ate was amazing, highly recommended to Jax/SJC folks:

Those figures can’t be right.....three people and an IKEA flatpack in a Model3🤷‍♂️.....can’t be done

Yeah, we could've easily taken the desk, two shelves, in addition to the the stuff we did get (lamps, pegboards ... it was for the daughter's birthday). We decided just to get those items delivered with the much larger items (same price for everything).

I'm constantly astounded by the space in a Model 3. Not only the passenger area that feels so incredibly open, but the trunk, etc. When the three of us travel, 3 rollers, 2 backpacks, a huge cooler/wheels, extra pillows, usually a plushie or two, and that barely puts a dent in the available space.

That's kind of how I wound up with the M3P, we swapped a DD/RT for a Wrangler 4xe, pretty roomy, handy for smaller hauls, and super fun with the roof removed - I had a GT convertible, so having two "topless" vehicles didn't make sense and it was __super__ cramped for even 3 people, so I wanted more room while retaining the performance, and the M3P was perfect (it would suck the headlights out my tuned GT from 0-<reasonable> :D)

I kind of ignored the exaggeration after he said he was hitting 1300 wh/mi peak. That's what I hit when doing a 1/2 mile run on the air strip and being full throttle for 18 seconds straight and not letting up.

I'm just coming back to this thread. You thought that was an exaggeration? I haven't lied about a single number. I have no reason to. I have at least one more over 1100 if you want more.

IMG_0093.jpg

Complains about having low range in a Tesla, immediately after complaining about a different car that won't start up in temps below 50 degrees...

Oh it'll start, but I feel bad for the poor tires I'm scrubbing.

I got what I needed to know, that 130 mile range in winter conditions is to be expected. And being surprised that it's that bad is lol-worthy.

• Funny
Reactions: Hank42
I got what I needed to know, that 130 mile range in winter conditions is to be expected. And being surprised that it's that bad is lol-worthy.
Im glad you agree with me in the thinking that the thread has run its course. At this point there isnt anything else to be gained from it.

Edit: I had locked this thread as I felt both that it had run its course, and was being bumped just to be bumped, however after thinking about this a bit more I have re considered and unlocked it again.

My position hasnt changed (I still feel the thread has run its course), but rather than locking the thread, I decided to address things I feel are thread bumps separately.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
I'm just coming back to this thread. You thought that was an exaggeration? I haven't lied about a single number. I have no reason to. I have at least one more over 1100 if you want more.

View attachment 789867
Looks like the shorter the drive, the higher the Watt Hours per mile. Probably most of it is just from getting things warmed up sufficiently. You could try driving about 10 miles, stopping and then immediately starting a new trip. I bet the new trip will give you a much more reasonable rate.

Energy consumption aside, I've been thinking really hard about what cars I would have to have owned in my life for a M3P to be the worst one.

Perhaps if I exclusively drove concept cars, or no cars for less then $200k? Nah, I still just don't see it.

Even if my M3LR had half the battery, it still wouldn't be the worst car I've owned.

The cars in the OPs signature are halo type cars, and if thats their taste (and budget) for cars, then its not that fantastical to image it.

It seems like you don’t drive it very often and don’t have a plug in your garage. Letting it sit for several days in cold weather means the battery is absolutely dead cold and won’t be efficient at all. And if you only take very short trips it doesn’t have any chance to warm up.

An EV is simply not ideal for your use case and there have been many reports online about how winter range can seriously suffer for all EVs, not just Tesla. If you actually drove it daily for more than a couple miles a time, it would be more efficient because the battery wouldn’t get COLD cold. Or if you could plug in at home it can precondition the battery to keep it warm when not in use and maximize efficiency.

Maybe buy a Subaru or Audi something for your winter beater? 🤷🏻‍♂️

My car's range is easily impacted by tire pressure, 45 cold is what I use. Stealth Performance (ie 19" wheels+tires). Also for me, 70 is about top speed IFF I care about best range, it drops pretty quick after that (and gets stellar range at 50-60 but can't do that around here)

You'll likely also notice a big difference when it warms up and if you can avoid heating the cabin (as much) vs using heated seats.

No clue how you could possibly be getting these numbers at all. Here's a road trip I did this winter. Same general temps, I drive it mostly like it's stolen. Snowy mountain passes included. Rarely parked while plugged in (sentry running entire trip as well).

There is something comically wrong with your car or you are driving the wheels off of it at all times.

Also from some of your replies - you should stop getting advice from whoever is telling you bs like you'll only get 100 miles in the winter in city driving. You could use friction brakes only and do nothing but floor it and should get comfortably more than that.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
No clue how you could possibly be getting these numbers at all. Here's a road trip I did this winter. Same general temps, I drive it mostly like it's stolen. Snowy mountain passes included. Rarely parked while plugged in (sentry running entire trip as well).

There is something comically wrong with your car or you are driving the wheels off of it at all times.

Also from some of your replies - you should stop getting advice from whoever is telling you bs like you'll only get 100 miles in the winter in city driving. You could use friction brakes only and do nothing but floor it and should get comfortably more than that.
Your pics not working for me.

I picked a new Model 3 Performance in December. I wanted a car for normal city driving and the occasional road trip a few hours away. My other car is a sportscar that is deathly allergic to any temperature below 50 degrees so I thought this would be the perfect addition. I live in a high rise with a garage that while not being heated, typically only goes down to about 40 degrees at the coldest.

I live in the Midwest where it can get down to the teens so I expected some range loss in cold weather, but the real world range I'm seeing is nowhere near reasonable. And this cold weather the following data is in was 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

For example, a 80 minute drive on the highway, never exceeding 80 mph used up about 51 kWh, for a Wh/mi of 518.
I then charged for an hour and preconditioned, only to make it 120 miles, averaging 68 mph, with a Wh/mi of nearly 460.

When I complained I was told "this is a city car, not a roadtrip car", so now I rent cars for my drives anywhere outside of 120 miles and drive it around the city. I still have never seen a full charge make it 130 miles without scrambling for a supercharger.

My usage while baby'ing the throttle with it in chill mode still ranges between 393 at the lowest and 1352 Wh/mi at the highest, with the only times it's under 600 Wh/mi is when it's preconditioned. I've also stopped using the seat and steering wheel warmers and keep the climate below 67 degrees on low to try and save energy.

I'm also not saving on gas, not even accounting for the wasted time it takes to charge vs filling up a tank. I charged 22 kWh yesterday (on a supercharger), which took 20 minutes. That's 27% of my range and based on historical data that should go about 40 miles. It cost $9, which is the equivalent to about 2.3 gallons of unleaded and I can tell you 17 mpg is below average for me in my other car.

Everyone I've talked to says that a total range of about 150 miles is the absolute best I can expect when it's below 45 degrees, and when I've called Tesla for support they've stated the same. And they said driving it a few times a week around the city I should expect around 75 miles from a full charge because the battery needs to get to operating temp. lol. Imagine an ICE car saying the best range you can expect is 75 miles.

So now I have a new Tesla that is useless for road trips and useless around the city.
Okay rambling rant over. Anyone want to buy this amazing car?
I picked a new Model 3 Performance in December. I wanted a car for normal city driving and the occasional road trip a few hours away. My other car is a sportscar that is deathly allergic to any temperature below 50 degrees so I thought this would be the perfect addition. I live in a high rise with a garage that while not being heated, typically only goes down to about 40 degrees at the coldest.

I live in the Midwest where it can get down to the teens so I expected some range loss in cold weather, but the real world range I'm seeing is nowhere near reasonable. And this cold weather the following data is in was 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

For example, a 80 minute drive on the highway, never exceeding 80 mph used up about 51 kWh, for a Wh/mi of 518.
I then charged for an hour and preconditioned, only to make it 120 miles, averaging 68 mph, with a Wh/mi of nearly 460.

When I complained I was told "this is a city car, not a roadtrip car", so now I rent cars for my drives anywhere outside of 120 miles and drive it around the city. I still have never seen a full charge make it 130 miles without scrambling for a supercharger.

My usage while baby'ing the throttle with it in chill mode still ranges between 393 at the lowest and 1352 Wh/mi at the highest, with the only times it's under 600 Wh/mi is when it's preconditioned. I've also stopped using the seat and steering wheel warmers and keep the climate below 67 degrees on low to try and save energy.

I'm also not saving on gas, not even accounting for the wasted time it takes to charge vs filling up a tank. I charged 22 kWh yesterday (on a supercharger), which took 20 minutes. That's 27% of my range and based on historical data that should go about 40 miles. It cost $9, which is the equivalent to about 2.3 gallons of unleaded and I can tell you 17 mpg is below average for me in my other car.

Everyone I've talked to says that a total range of about 150 miles is the absolute best I can expect when it's below 45 degrees, and when I've called Tesla for support they've stated the same. And they said driving it a few times a week around the city I should expect around 75 miles from a full charge because the battery needs to get to operating temp. lol. Imagine an ICE car saying the best range you can expect is 75 miles.

So now I have a new Tesla that is useless for road trips and useless around the city.
Okay rambling rant over. Anyone want to buy this amazing car?
I’d be bummed if I had a M3P w/poor battery- Im dealing w/poor battery small battery too in my car - its already degraded 2% in 6.5 months, the wh/ml is >1000 initially on side streets , lowers on freeway, they should give discounts or battery replacement if you got a a old (2020) 75 Kwh battery in you car thats suppose to have the BT42 -per configuration -I going to trade my car in too -

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Status
Not open for further replies.