Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking the right color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roger,
I'm not a scientist. However I've owned many cars in my life, the last two of which have been Teslas. They attract dust like no other car I've owned (which have been mostly black cars). It's that simple. Please other Tesla owners who are clean car freaks, you don't notice your Tesla attracts more dust than your other cars? Mine do. Scientific proof or not. Mine do. The silver one is easy to keep looking clean than the white one.
While I'm not a clean car freak — it would be absurd since I live on a dirt road in snow country — my own anecdotal report is that I seem to get less dust on my Tesla than my previous two cars. My rear window tends to be dirtier, lots of water/dirt spots from rain sprinkles, but that's because it doesn't have a wiper like previous cars did.

We're in love with midnight silver metallic. We've had white and black cars too - definitely not doing black again because of what it attracts. White was better, but we'd probably either do silver or stick with dark gray because something in the middle hides things well, at least up here in the Northwest. Had a professional hand wash and wax about a month after delivery (mainly to get the wax on there for some protection...at least against birds and insects) and it stays super clean with a little Meguiar's QD every now and then.

IMG_1306.jpg

XAV-
I can speak very clearly about the answer to your question. I have owned a pearl white Model S, and now I own a silver Model S. So I've lived with both, and I'm clean car freak. The actual reason we went with Silver Metallic on our second Tesla was specifically because the pearl white was a bit hard to keep clean. Something that no one has addressed here in their replies is the fact that because the Tesla has electric motors, it is quite literally a dust magnet. Think of how your old tv would attract dust. Any particles out there that are negatively charged will actually attach themselves to your car. Wash your car, go out for the day, come back and your Tesla has a layer of dust that is has 'magnetically' attracted to itself.The white car really showed this dust. All Teslas will do this, but we found the silver metallic to be good at hiding it. Sorry for the long explanation, but the answer to your question, from first hand experience is :Silver is a lot easier to keep clean than white.....on a Tesla.
Now if only Tesla would offer Carbon Ceramic Brakes like on our 911 Turbo. NO BRAKE DUST EVER! I'd pay anything for carbon ceramic brakes from Tesla. I hope the next roadster has them. They're lighter too, so why not?

I've not owned a white Tesla, but the one white car I did own didn't look dirty - until I cleaned it. I found that if I cleaned it, I would need a pair of sunglasses under bright sunshine as I found dirt streaks on many occasions (it drove me nuts). The joke was it didn't show so clearly until the water evaporated.

My $.02, is go with a lighter color. This car has the worst paint I've ever had on any vehicle. it scratches and swirls if you look at it wrong. This shows very easily on darker colors. I have a blue loaner right now and it is COVERED in swirls and microscratches... I had my black car clear bra wrapped all over except the trunk because it was showing way too much wear even just months old

XAV-
I can speak very clearly about the answer to your question. I have owned a pearl white Model S, and now I own a silver Model S. So I've lived with both, and I'm clean car freak. The actual reason we went with Silver Metallic on our second Tesla was specifically because the pearl white was a bit hard to keep clean. Something that no one has addressed here in their replies is the fact that because the Tesla has electric motors, it is quite literally a dust magnet. Think of how your old tv would attract dust. Any particles out there that are negatively charged will actually attach themselves to your car. Wash your car, go out for the day, come back and your Tesla has a layer of dust that is has 'magnetically' attracted to itself.The white car really showed this dust. All Teslas will do this, but we found the silver metallic to be good at hiding it. Sorry for the long explanation, but the answer to your question, from first hand experience is :Silver is a lot easier to keep clean than white.....on a Tesla.
Now if only Tesla would offer Carbon Ceramic Brakes like on our 911 Turbo. NO BRAKE DUST EVER! I'd pay anything for carbon ceramic brakes from Tesla. I hope the next roadster has them. They're lighter too, so why not?

I have had several black and several white cars. You think white shows dust? If you think white shows dust DO NOT ever buy a black car. Nothing shows dust like black.

If not wanting to wash it very often is your main requirement I'd go with silver.

I'm currently driving a loaner White Model S P90DL, while my Obsidian Metallic Black Model X is at the SC.

The white Tesla is definitely the ugliest colour I've ever seen in a Tesla. It's embarrassing to be seen in it. :oops:

Any colour is better than white! But on the plus side, it doesn't look dirty at all. It's just plain and ugly.

I'm currently driving a loaner White Model S P90DL, while my Obsidian Metallic Black Model X is at the SC.

The white Tesla is definitely the ugliest colour I've ever seen in a Tesla. It's embarrassing to be seen in it. :oops:

Any colour is better than white! But on the plus side, it doesn't look dirty at all. It's just plain and ugly.
IDK about that Id vote the brown as the ugliest color I dread getting a BROWN loaner lol

Yikes, you just dissed thousands of Tesla owners. I personally think both the regular and MC whites are beautiful.

• Love
Reactions: NikeWings