Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up P3D+ in two weeks and it's suppose to snow, what should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking up my P3D+ in Ohio and driving 4 hours home

- 20" A/S 3+ (all seasons) won't be available til 1/04/19

- 18" wheels from evwheeldirect and tsportline is backordered

- 20" Alpin PA 4 N-SPEC (winter tires) is the only one available within a week

I was planning on going 18" for winter but I won't get it in time and will need an all season or winter tire in the meantime. I was shooting for all seasons but it looks like winter tires on the 20" are my only option as of now.

Anyone have any other ideas on what I should do? If I drive slow will that suffice?

edit: forgot to mention I'm driving 4 hours home

Last edited:
I'm picking up my P3D+ in Ohio and driving 4 hours home

- 20" A/S 3+ (all seasons) won't be available til 1/04/19

- 18" wheels from evwheeldirect and tsportline is backordered

- 20" Alpin PA 4 N-SPEC (winter tires) is the only one available within a week

I was planning on going 18" for winter but I won't get it in time and will need an all season or winter tire in the meantime. I was shooting for all seasons but it looks like winter tires on the 20" are my only option as of now.

Anyone have any other ideas on what I should do? If I drive slow will that suffice?

edit: forgot to mention I'm driving 4 hours home

Just to make sure, have the 18s you are looking at been tested for clearance on the 3P+? Stock Tesla 18's won't work, but some aftermarket ones reportedly do.

Wow, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S page from tire rack says you can't roll them (or even have them on a car) when they have been/ are below 20F (need 24 hours above 40F) ... I suppose the means you can use them above freezing?

When is delivery?

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Designed in California. :)

Actually, our California mountains average 400 to 500 inches of snow per year.

As someone who regularly drives in them, I opted for P3D-, shod in lower-performance but winter-friendlier all-seasons.

Despite being “designed in California,” Teslas, especially AWD models, are terrific, even in massive snows. Shod in all-seasons, or better yet, the winter tires which Midwest/East Coast conditions allow, they should do just fine in the less-extreme snow and ice back there.

@skrtskrt you're probably better off:
1. Delaying the delivery of your car until temperature is above 40 deg. F due to the summer tires failing to operate at low temperatures.
2. Taking delivery of your car and have it towed.

Just to make sure, have the 18s you are looking at been tested for clearance on the 3P+? Stock Tesla 18's won't work, but some aftermarket ones reportedly do.

Tsportline claims that their 18" ones work with the Performance with Performance Upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPUConn
@skrtskrt you're probably better off:
1. Delaying the delivery of your car until temperature is above 40 deg. F due to the summer tires failing to operate at low temperatures.
2. Taking delivery of your car and have it towed.

Tsportline claims that their 18" ones work with the Performance with Performance Upgrade.

Regarding option 2: Technically, vehicles with mounted Pilot Sports shouldn't be shipped to (or even through) regions where the temp is below 20F.

Yah, tsportline says they have fitting 18s, but without a link to the actual rim OP was looking at, no guarantee it was a fitting one.

Enjoy the ride home with the stock tires.
It’s a great car, just be a little careful with your new baby. You shouldn’t have any problems.

Terrible advice for a prospective Tesla Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade owner to drive in snow with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

See Tire Rack's description:

Max Performance Summer
You want an unsurpassed blend of dry and wet street traction and handling and only the finest will do.

Not intended to be driven in snow or on ice, these technologically advanced ultra low profile, high speed tires combine computer developed designs, and unique materials with precision manufacturing techniques to provide an unsurpassed blend of dry and wet traction and handling.

The stock tires are all season, so they should be sufficient for driving in snow.

I'm gonna have to call bull$hit in a respectful way on this comment right here... Either you don't own a Tesla Model 3 Performance (with Performance Upgrade) or you if you do, you don't know what you're talking about the stock tires you own on a Tesla Model 3 Performance (with Performance Upgrade)...

upload_2018-11-4_3-6-6.png

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires are not all season tires. They're rate as max performance summer tires.

Yup, you totally got me there. I was absolutely going off the wrong specs. My bad!

The other point though, still stands: I suggest tire chains (you'll probably need them anyway) and stay safe. If it doesn't look like it's going to be safe to drive in, don't do it.

Few options, but I’d avoid driving the car in cold temps for any distance let alone 4 hour drive home unless you plan on throwing out the stock tires and enjoy driving on hockey pucks.

1. Have it towed to your home.

2. Delay delivery until weather above 40.

3. Call Chris @EVTuning to see if he can help you source winters quicker.

Reactions: RiverBrick