Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up P3D+ in two weeks and it's suppose to snow, what should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to make sure, have the 18s you are looking at been tested for clearance on the 3P+? Stock Tesla 18's won't work, but some aftermarket ones reportedly do.

Wow, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S page from tire rack says you can't roll them (or even have them on a car) when they have been/ are below 20F (need 24 hours above 40F) ... I suppose the means you can use them above freezing?

When is delivery?

On the 14th

I would ask Tesla to have it home delivered TBH.

That is one option, but I don't wanna have to pay in advance as I've heard it happened to many people before that once Tesla has your money they'll usually delay it, that's not all cases but if I know If I can pickup my precious, I'm going to lol. I saw on bestwheelsonline that they have A/S 3+ ready to ship within a couple days so I think I might do that..

I’m floored. It is early November! There are 2 months til risk of substantial, sustained snow! You are getting an AWD car with traction control. In event of early snow, just drive carefully! People are recommending garaging?!?!? It is not on ice skates. It is a heavy, well balanced AWD car. Not optimal without all weather tires, but far from the worst car on the road. I drove my P85 S on 21s all winter the first year I had it.

How the h*ll did you get by with summer tires?? Lol

I know we can't 100% depend on the weather forecast but this is what it's going to look like. I'm picking up on the 14th.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 4.25.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 4.25.00 PM.png
    275.2 KB · Views: 79
I'm picking up my P3D+ in Ohio and driving 4 hours home

- 20" A/S 3+ (all seasons) won't be available til 1/04/19

- 18" wheels from evwheeldirect and tsportline is backordered

- 20" Alpin PA 4 N-SPEC (winter tires) is the only one available within a week

I was planning on going 18" for winter but I won't get it in time and will need an all season or winter tire in the meantime. I was shooting for all seasons but it looks like winter tires on the 20" are my only option as of now.

Anyone have any other ideas on what I should do? If I drive slow will that suffice?

edit: forgot to mention I'm driving 4 hours home
DWS 06s!

Reactions: bandwagon
The warning is for 20F or below. Those temps in the forecast are all above that (if they go below 20, they need to be warmed up to 40F).
So biggest issue (assuming temps hold) looks like performance (of tires) in snow...

I'm going to call the SC tomorrow and see if I can have them swap for me. Someone recommended bestwheelsonline.com and they have A/S3+ ready to ship and delivered within a couple days. Not sure how legit it is though

Reactions: mongo
That's good to know. A month ago A/S 3+ was available but not in 235 35 20. The Model 3 was not in their computer.

You are correct. The Model 3 is still not in their system, but if you ask them to look up by size (or just use the item number I provided) they will be able to pull them up. Due to the fact it's not in their system, I'm taking my own jackpads just in case and have all the relevant information (torque specs, etc.).

The nice thing about Costco is now I'll have free rotations, which is the bulk of the maintenance on this car. :)

I'll hold on to the PS4S until I get a second set of rims or when these wear out.

I’m floored. It is early November! There are 2 months til risk of substantial, sustained snow! You are getting an AWD car with traction control. In event of early snow, just drive carefully! People are recommending garaging?!?!? It is not on ice skates. It is a heavy, well balanced AWD car. Not optimal without all weather tires, but far from the worst car on the road. I drove my P85 S on 21s all winter the first year I had it.
Yah, the OP is from MI and doesn’t know how to drive in the snow?????? Plllllllluuuuuuueeeeeeessssseeeessssssss..............Ok, just pick up the car and drive to San Diego and stay there.

• Disagree
Reactions: JPUConn
I have been driving in winter weather for 30 years. First five years in northern New England and last 25 years in Colorado.

I still had major pucker factor when I foolishly thought it would be no big deal to drive an Audi I bought 14 years ago with the stock performance Z rated rubber.

At 20 mph on a very slight downhill grade with a very light dusting of snow the car ended up sideways and I almost took out a fire hydrant. It's a miracle I didn't hit anything.

Don't screw with this stuff.

Tesla is under no obligation to eat the cost of doing a home delivery but if they will do it for you, that's great... I would do it even if I had to pay for it rather than risking your 'precious' winding up in a ditch with body damage... which would be a sucky way to start your new car relationship.

BMW/Merc/Audi dealers deliver AWD cars with performance tires in the dead of winter all the time and usually they will have a plan to do this for the customer whether it is a complimentary home delivery of the car, loan of a set of all season wheels/tires.... etc.

Whatever you do DON'T drive it in the snow, especially for four hours.

Someone commented on increasing your following distance. I invite that person to drive on an icy road with performance rubber and discover that they have literally zero traction below 20-30F and become ice skates. You can give yourself all the room in the world to stop and still not stop.

Designed in California. :)
Most people are think that California is all sun and beach and are ignorant of the fact that there is a significant mountain range which runs the length of the state (including Mt. Whitney, the tallest peak in the lower 48 states at 14,505 feet). To get to the Gigafactory from Fremont, you have to drive over Donner Summit (7,026 ft.) and many Tesla employees routinely drive into the Sierras to ski. We regularly get 20+ feet of snow during the winter.
So, yes, the cars are designed for and regularly driven in cold and snow.
My S85D is absolutely the best snow car I have ever owned (better than the Audis, Land Rover, Subarus, Jeeps). It's like driving on rails. I've found it difficult to get the car to slip even by intentionally flooring it or slamming on the brakes on ice and snow.

Most people are think that California is all sun and beach and are ignorant of the fact that there is a significant mountain range which runs the length of the state (including Mt. Whitney, the tallest peak in the lower 48 states at 14,505 feet). To get to the Gigafactory from Fremont, you have to drive over Donner Summit (7,026 ft.) and many Tesla employees routinely drive into the Sierras to ski. We regularly get 20+ feet of snow during the winter.
So, yes, the cars are designed for and regularly driven in cold and snow.
My S85D is absolutely the best snow car I have ever owned (better than the Audis, Land Rover, Subarus, Jeeps). It's like driving on rails. I've found it difficult to get the car to slip even by intentionally flooring it or slamming on the brakes on ice and snow.

Sure, but I'm not most people so I assume you weren't calling me ignorant.

Wife grew up there. We were there 2 weeks ago. Drove from LAX to pismo. I get that there are beaches and snow in CA. It's an amazing state.

Doesn't change the fact that year round you could pick up a P3D in CA and most likely not be FORCED to drive through conditions that your tires weren't fit for. Whereas say in MI like the OP, it would be difficult to pickup a car from late Nov-Mar and NOT be forced into that situation.

California doesn't get extremely cold for the most part (yes there are crazy extremes outside the population centers). The HVAC in my model S was crap for defrost and foot heat. It drove fine in the snow, but it wasn't some insane revelation over the AWD systems from subaru, audi and acuras that we've had.

EDIT: I noticed your comment about getting the car to slip. I could easily get my P90D to slip in the snow and ice on michelin xice3 tires. Haven't had the snow yet to try in the model 3.

Last edited:
Doesn't change the fact that year round you could pick up a P3D in CA and most likely not be FORCED to drive through conditions that your tires weren't fit for. Whereas say in MI like the OP, it would be difficult to pickup a car from late Nov-Mar and NOT be forced into that situation.

Except I live in Reno and was "forced" to pick up the car in Rocklin CA so I had to drive over the Sierra to get the car home.

Yah, the OP is from MI and doesn’t know how to drive in the snow?????? Plllllllluuuuuuueeeeeeessssseeeessssssss..............Ok, just pick up the car and drive to San Diego and stay there.

So many knee jerk replies without reading the post. It’s mentioned in the OP and many follow ups the issue isn’t driving in the snow.

It’s the dedicated summer tires that come on the model 3 20” wheels risk of being destroyed by operating in cold temperatures per the manufacturer warnings that the tread compound can permanently crack in low temps.

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51