Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics: Model S w/ Lightweight Aftermarket Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I have a dumb question to ask ... and I am going to sound as naive as h3ll.

I thought when can owners changed "wheels" for the Winter, they changed their tires, not "wheels"?

For a different tread pattern? Something more able to handle snow and / or ice?

But what you tell us here, Nikoli, is that you're changing your wheels for winter? How does that help?

Are there certain tyres that'll only go on certain wheels? Aside from the obvious measurements?

And while we're on the subject I read here that 19" are better for winter than 21". I've always taken this at face value. Why?

Thread was about wheels, different tires were implied. These have the same Pirelli winter tires that Tesla provides on their 19" winter package. The stock 21" will go back on in spring.

Regarding handling the stress of the torque. O.Z. are quality wheels so they should be fine, but I'll be going easy on them. No stoplight drag races or hard cornering. The winter tires aren't meant for performance anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

I plan to buy a set of 19's (Rim & Tires) for the winter season and store them in my basement. I'm thinking about buying a 3.5T jack and install them myself.

Changing them out is very easy. The lift points are clearly marked and a 3.5 ton will be plenty. I use a 2.5 ton and it has no trouble lifting each corner. Make sure you have a good torque wrench.

I thought when can owners changed "wheels" for the Winter, they changed their tires, not "wheels"?

Ideally you have a set of winter wheels with winter tires mounted and a set of summer wheels with summer tires mounted. The reasons for the two sets of wheels is that, even if the winter tires are the same size as the summer tires each time you mount and demount a tire you risk damaging it. Also it's much more convenient because it's far quicker to just mount a set of wheels than it is to change the tires on a wheel and rebalance them.

For a different tread pattern? Something more able to handle snow and / or ice?

Besides the tread pattern, summer tires don't work well in cold conditions because the tread compound hardens. Winter tires have a tread compound that remains flexible in cold weather.

Are there certain tyres that'll only go on certain wheels? Aside from the obvious measurements?

No.

And while we're on the subject I read here that 19" are better for winter than 21". I've always taken this at face value. Why?

The 19" tires have a higher sidewall that allows them to conform to the road surface better. In addition, assuming a Model S here, the tread width is narrower on the 19" tire than it is on the 21" tire (the nominal section width of both tires are the same but the tread width is not). This makes for a longer narrower contact patch. In winter conditions you want long and narrow rather than short and wide.

19" O.Z. Superturismo LM from Tirerack. Running these for winter.

Sweet! I've got Grey coming, and those grey wheels look good!

I have Superleggeras on my S6, which is a similar design. The problem is scrubbing... all... those... spokes...

- - - Updated - - -

Ideally you have a set of winter wheels with winter tires mounted and a set of summer wheels with summer tires mounted. The reasons for the two sets of wheels is that, even if the winter tires are the same size as the summer tires each time you mount and demount a tire you risk damaging it. Also it's much more convenient because it's far quicker to just mount a set of wheels than it is to change the tires on a wheel and rebalance them.

Not only that, but that's 2 trips a year to Discount Tire, with dirty tires tires in your back seat, because 4 of them are not going to fit in the trunk. They don't mount and balance tires for free, either. So it's $30-40 each time, plus the 90 min+ while you wait there. And if they don't scratch one of your wheels this time, they will next time. It's hard to get them on and off.

Was doing some research this morning into lightweight 19" wheels. I'm thinking about a set of Forgestar CF5v for my summer wheels (19x8.5 in matte black) if I can sell my grey 21's. (Don't have the car yet, but I'll likely make a post my 21's in the for sale section after I have it).

Forgestar CF5v: Forgestar CF5V Wheels BMW 19"

They are 19.8 lbs, in the 19x8.5 size! These are some of the lightest wheels I have seen that don't have a crazy price tag. (~$400 each)

Here is my white S with black 19" Enkei Raijin's. Thanks to nrcooled for paving the way!

attachment.php?attachmentid=16605&d=1361044769.jpg

Wow, thanks for the pics mnx, I've just fallen in love with those wheels. I'm seriously considering swapping the stock 19" wheels with those when I get my car in a few weeks.

I've never had my wheels changed before, so I have no idea how I would go about this. Can I just buy those wheels and then bring them along with the car to some car shop to have them installed using my existing stock tires? Would they set up the TPMS sensors and all that stuff for me? I'm wondering if there are any gotchas for an aftermarket newbie like me.

I've never had my wheels changed before, so I have no idea how I would go about this. Can I just buy those wheels and then bring them along with the car to some car shop to have them installed using my existing stock tires? Would they set up the TPMS sensors and all that stuff for me? I'm wondering if there are any gotchas for an aftermarket newbie like me.

Basically yes that's how it works. If you order from a place like Tirerack they can even drop ship the wheels directly to a shop for you. I'd recommend finding a good local tire shop since you have TPMS and a good sized wheel to deal with. A shop with a Hunter Road Force Balancer is a good place to start.