Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the aeros, and what's underneath... Is there some big secret or reasoning behind why Tesla doesn't just make this known to the public or at least to the people who have money down with intent to spend $35k-$60k? I'm fully expecting a "welcome to Tesla" reply for this question but I had to ask.

Removing the Aero covers is an EPA defeat device. Tesla is likely better off not promoting that behavior. The way they rolled out those beautiful wheels on the release candidates with no covers as first impression (as they were still working on the covers) is a really good way to communicate.

I think Tesla's communication is excellent.

Clever Tesla, and clever you.
Note, I was just paraphrase parroting some other forum member (maybe you?), who said they had to ship over half? the cars configured the way the EPA tested it to put the range on the label. So they need to sell a lot of cars with the aero covers...

Tesla really is pretty smart about how they do (some) things.

There is also a diverse set of knowledge on this board, if you are willing to look around a bit. Too much granularity can kill a forum as it divides below critical mass for discussion. (I've seen that happen). Too little granularity and people can't sort things out. The folks that run this do a nice job. I know I learn stuff.

Reactions: tracksyde
Removing the Aero covers is an EPA defeat device. Tesla is likely better off not promoting that behavior. The way they rolled out those beautiful wheels on the release candidates with no covers as first impression (as they were still working on the covers) is a really good way to communicate.

I think Tesla's communication is excellent.
Do we know what wheel size they tested with? I forgot if it was on that EPA doc or not.

Regarding the aeros, and what's underneath... Is there some big secret or reasoning behind why Tesla doesn't just make this known to the public or at least to the people who have money down with intent to spend $35k-$60k?
Yeah, there seems to be some easy details that aren't being shared like this one and others. Can't figure out why some basic information is so scare. I'm guessing Tesla just wants to lay as low as possible on M3 details for another month or so to help not rock the S/X boat.
I submit the reason is that TESLA is still experimenting with what they want to do with the 18" rims and WCs. They haven't made a final decision. Certainly the positive reaction to the recently pictured 18" rims will help them make that decision. I think what we are seeing is what we will be getting.

I submit the reason is that TESLA is still experimenting with what they want to do with the 18" rims and WCs. They haven't made a final decision. Certainly the positive reaction to the recently pictured 18" rims will help them make that decision. I think what we are seeing is what we will be getting.

Or they'll say, "Oh, crap! People like the gunmetal 18s too much when we want them to spring for the 19s!"
In October the unpainted steel 18s under the covers will finally be revealed to customers...... :eek:;)

(For the record, I'm cautiously optimistic it is already finalized and we're just finally seeing the 18s sans covers. I wonder if the covers are needed for the base model to hit the 220 miles?)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
While that may be true for some decision, I don't think it applies to the aeros and here's why.....the bright shiny edge of the rim has always been visible since the aeros first appeared. Those unfinished base rims have always had the 5 pads around the edge of the rim specifically for mounting covers. Only recently have we seen that shiny edge disappear (to many's relief!) and the reason it's gone now, IMO, is the RC base rims are simply being replaced with production coated rims. I can't believe for one second that Tesla ever had any intention of selling the M3 with the bright rim edge showing. I think they just haven't said anything about it.

Last edited:
Or they'll say, "Oh, crap! People like the gunmetal 18s too much when we want them to spring for the 19s!"
In October the unpainted steel 18s under the covers will finally be revealed to customers...... :eek:;)
I read on the Internet (so it must be true) that all wheels are going to be an extra cost option on the Model 3!
t0125.gif

(For the record, I'm cautiously optimistic it is already finalized and we're just finally seeing the 18s sans covers. I wonder if the covers are needed for the base model to hit the 220 miles?)
IMO, the aero wheel covers were used on 18" rims to achieve both 220 and 310 miles estimates. It will be interesting to see what the EPA has to say.

I don't think it applies to the aeros and here's why.....the bright shiny edge of the rim has always been visible since the aeros first appeared. Those unfinished base rims have always had the 5 pads around the edge of the rim specifically for mounting covers. Only recently have we seen that shiny edge disappear (to many's relief!) and the reason it's gone now, IMO, is the RC base rims are simply being replaced with production coated rims. I can't believe for one second that Tesla ever had any intention of selling the M3 with the bright rim edge showing. I think they just haven't said anything about it.
Yes, I agree, that's what I was trying to say in my post. Thanks for clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.