Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on OEM 19s...anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have those (on third-party 19” wheels) and have no complaints.
Went with 245/40 as it was the closest to stock size available (~1% off on circumference/speedo).
This is on an 8 inch wheel width (OEM is 8.5) which kept wheel weight lower and gave me some curb rash protection.
B77FB7E0-EF44-42CE-A6F0-EE3F3F76835B.jpeg

255 might be similar on your 8.5, width-wise as 0.5 inches is 12.5 mm.

• Informative
Reactions: Needsdecaf
I have those (on third-party 19” wheels) and have no complaints.
Went with 245/40 as it was the closest to stock size available (~1% off on circumference/speedo).
This is on an 8 inch wheel width (OEM is 8.5) which kept wheel weight lower and gave me some curb rash protection.
View attachment 481275

255 might be similar on your 8.5, width-wise as 0.5 inches is 12.5 mm.
Any shots from the front or rear?

I've ran the Michelin AS 3+ and Pirelli Pzero AS+ in 245/40 on my 3 series and they have both been fantastic all year long in CO front range. The Pirelli is significantly narrower (looks stretched on an 8" wheel), a bit quieter, a little bit smoother, better rolling resistance, and has a slightly better feel to it. The Michelin can be purchased from Costco though which allows you to avoid the crummy tire shops (that always give me crap for buying off tire rack). Also, it might have slightly more grip, stiffer sidewalls, and better breakaway at the limit.

For size, 245/40 will be fine, and is probably a little cheaper.

As for noise, the Michelin is a little noisier than the Pirelli, which is similar to a standard all season. It didn't make a difference at all on the 3 series but might on the Model 3 (only when compared to a stock tire with a foam liner tho)

One thing to consider that struck me by surprise and one reason I won't be buying A/S 3+. They're heavy. 27lbs in a 245/40. Check the tire weight on tirerack as you're researching options.

@e-FTW : could you include a sideshot? This isn't against you but theres way too many wheel pics on here without actually doing everyone the favor of a full shot of the car, clearly displaying the wheels.

One thing to consider that struck me by surprise and one reason I won't be buying A/S 3+. They're heavy. 27lbs in a 245/40. Check the tire weight on tirerack as you're researching options.

@e-FTW : could you include a sideshot? This isn't against you but theres way too many wheel pics on here without actually doing everyone the favor of a full shot of the car, clearly displaying the wheels.
Closest I have on hand:
F722EA14-3163-43BA-A5E8-1AABBF359AAB.jpeg

I am about to go Conti DWS06 255/40/19 19x85 +35 24lb rims on LR AWD.

What is your range loss/change, if any, from stock 235s to 255s?

I may get DW06 245 if range loss is significantly better than 255s.
Thanks for your insight.

I have been debating between the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 in 255/40 19. I did a comparison on Tire Rack which I have attached. The Michelins are made in the USA, are 3 pounds heavier, and cost $136 more for 4 tires. I am leaning towards the Michelins, but am wondering how much the extra 3 pounds will affect range. I have 30K on the stock Contis and 6/32 tread left, so I figure I have about 10K left which for me is about 6 months. I seem to have gotten much more life out of my tires than most on these forums.

AS3+ vs DWS06 255 40 19.png

• Informative
Reactions: follow.johnny
There was a guy that did an acceleration test on his p3d with the stock 20s vs aero 18s and it was less than 0.1s of difference. I know acceleration does not equal range, but I wouldn't worry about a 3lbs difference per corner. Go with the better ride quality, treadlife, traction, or whatever else is important to you.

Reactions: OUengineer
I have been debating between the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 in 255/40 19. I did a comparison on Tire Rack which I have attached. The Michelins are made in the USA, are 3 pounds heavier, and cost $136 more for 4 tires. I am leaning towards the Michelins, but am wondering how much the extra 3 pounds will affect range. I have 30K on the stock Contis and 6/32 tread left, so I figure I have about 10K left which for me is about 6 months. I seem to have gotten much more life out of my tires than most on these forums.

View attachment 493661

Go with Pirelli Pzero AS+ if you don't want to pay more for the Michelins. They are just as good and cost about the same as the Conti, which makes them the best value IMO.

I wouldn't worry too much about a few pounds.

Reactions: follow.johnny

View attachment 493661

3 lbs won't impact range measurably. The fact the Michelins are stickier tires will. But then you'll also have better handling and shorter stopping distances too.

Reactions: OUengineer