TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pink fluid leaking

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by qqragoon, Nov 11, 2015.

1. qqragoon

qqragoon Member

Just picked up a brand new 90D yesterday. Found pink fluid leaking (fresh) in the garage after I parked for 20 minutes today after driving back. It is from the center of the car near rear motor/wheels. I can see liquid dripping mark underneath the black bottom panel. Has anyone experienced this or know what this might be?

1.png 2.png

2. StaceyS

StaceyS Member

My guess is its gear oil from the differential, possibly through a bad shaft seal. Call your Service Center. Its easy to verify, the bottom panels come off pretty easy and the drive shafts are all visible.

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

I just had a diff leak fixed but the gear oli was golden like regular gear or engine oil.

It looks like trans fluid but that can't be since you don't have any such fluid in the car. My sneaking suspicion is battery coolant.

The location you describe though is where you'd have a diff leak. Maybe the gear oil is different in thew newer Ds.

4. qqragoon

qqragoon Member

There is more leaked from rear left side now. My guess is the battery coolant as well. I will call service tomorrow. Thanks guys.

5. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Wk057 drained the coolant from the battery pack he disassembled. IIRC, it was a deeper blue/turquoise color. Plus, the spring loaded coolant disconnects are closer to the front than the rear of the car.

6. qqragoon

qqragoon Member

Thanks for the info. Then, I am wondering what will this be.

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Some past posts report that the differential fluid is in fact transmission fluid. I wonder if the fact my diff fluid is not pink but light golden is related to my MS being a P85D. Perhaps the extra torque requires a heavier fluid.

8. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Does it have a sulfury smell? Then it's probably gear oil.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

10. hpjtv

hpjtv Member

I broke my radiator that stores the battery coolant at the beginning of the year. The fluid was green. If the coolant is low, you will get a coolant warning on the dash. It ended up leaking completely empty by the time I was a few km from the service center. The car went into reduced power and limited the battery output eventually stopping the car dead. You do get a few seconds warning to pull over before it dies. Once things cooled for a few minutes, I was able to move again for short distances until it heated up again. Was able to make it to the SC.

11. qqragoon

qqragoon Member

It does not have any sulfury smell or any other smell. Maybe the car is too new to have any smell?

Then, it definitely not the battery coolant. I didn't get any warning on the dash board.

12. tstafford

tstafford Member

Just a guess - but I'm betting power steering fluid.

Edit: Actually no - I think gear oil is right.

13. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

They use standard ATF in the drive unit. Contact tesla service ASAP.

14. qqragoon

qqragoon Member

Issue UPDATE:

Came in to the service center and they took a look at the leaking. I was told the leaking was from the seal between the right-side axle and the gear unit. The fluid was the gear oil which is red color and becomes pinkish on the ground.

They are taking the entire rear drive unit out to inspect since this is a very rare issue happens on a brand new delivery. I was kinda surprised a seal broken on a 24 hours new Tesla... :crying:

15. sorka

sorka Active Member

It's not rare. It happened to me just last month. They replaced both seals without removing the DU. The tech theorized that the DU had been overfilled at the factory.

If you they remove your DU, make sure to have them show you the wheel alignment sheet afterwards.

20150930_111304.jpg
    20150930_111118.jpg
    20150930_110737.jpg

16. qqragoon

qqragoon Member

They did. Mine was not as heavy drained as yours...
    So, you have the same seals broken on both side?

17. sorka

sorka Active Member

Yes, both seals were leaking although the drivers side was worse than the passenger side.

The thing is, with the way the cover fits underneath the DU, you could have a very slow leak forever and never see a single drop on the ground. The raised half hexagons can catch a lot of fluid before they ever leak out through those seep holes. I only noticed it because I removed the cover out of curiosity to look around.

18. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I was almost certain it was going to be Pepto Bismol, but decided to keep it to myself for fear of embarrassment. Now I'm glad I did.

19. StaceyS

StaceyS Member

Sometimes I think I should quit my job as an architect and go become a professional troubleshooter!

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Some people have to be the troublemakers.