Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pixel 3 on order - Special settings needed to work as Phone Key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Pixel 3 XL on order as my Moto G4 works poorly as a Phone Key, plus it can't be updated beyond ver 8 Oreo. I tried every suggestion I could find to make it work reliably with no luck.

Pixel 3 owners don't seem to be reporting issues with Model 3.

Do I need to change any of the stock settings on the Pixel 3 to optimize it as a Phone Key?

I have a Pixel 3 XL. Best phone I've ever owned.

I also have issues with my Model 3 when trying to unlock the car. It's apparently due to the way Android implements BlueTooth (per Elon).

What I've found is everything works great most of the time, but when it doesn't:

1. Unlock the phone
  2. Try again
  3. If it still doesn't work, open the Tesla app.
  4. Try Again
Very rarely have I had to use my card.

Hope this helps.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrDabbles
You should not have any issues as long as you see the Tesla notification on your phone. The only time it's failed for me was when I updated my password and when the app updated. In both of those cases I had to open the app once and then it worked fine afterwards.

I'm using my Pixel 3 over my iPhone Max S because it works EVERY time. (There was nothing I had to do. Just install the app and set it up against my car.) My iPhone works most of the time, but Pixel is outstanding. It even works better for Summon than the iPhone.