Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody have a of their alignment sheet?? Would be good to see what your toe & camber look like.
Mine. I have the adjustable MPP rear suspension links

Attachments

• 805ECFA2-7CF7-445E-AA5E-7F554600E741.jpeg
    805ECFA2-7CF7-445E-AA5E-7F554600E741.jpeg
    778.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Reactions: canasion35
They have adjustable rear trailing arms. I have them, just know that they can only take about 0.3 degrees of camber out, but they stop the rear from toe-ing out on compression apparently. Will need camber arms if you want to take out a couple degrees of camber.
@lbowroom - MPP now also has the rear lower control arms for the new S. That combined with their rear trailing arms took my camber down from 2.2 to 1.2 easy peazy .

Reactions: lbowroom
fk510 super load on road. Causes noise headache, best avoid it, I returned them and went with stock 19 inch setup on my plaid, 21 wheels sitting in garage.
Hmmm.

As a wild-eyed optimist that hopes Tesla and Michelin will/may/might/hopefully will work this out in the years ahead, I might buy those wheels from you next time I'm in AZ (later this month).

PM me if interested as they'll just be taking up space in your garage for years otherwise . . . .

Thanks!

Reactions: dk79
100% correct. they told me to F-off with regards to any discount or freebee. Tesla is far beyond the days that few of us remember. There is nobody to complain to or reason with. To another posters point, I drive mixed highway/city 10k miles a year mostly commuting and driving kids around.

Funny thing is back in 2013 when my rears were worn out (P85+) after like 3k miles in the inner rim they replaced the tires free of charge and re-aligned (made it a little bit better, able to get 5-6k miles per pair).

So for the last 10 years the party line has been "heavy performance car goes really fast instant torque not our problem". Whats shocking to me is that there are not 20 people chiming in on this thread saying "ME TOO".

guess I'm just unlucky on this!
I am having the same problem with 2021 Model S Plaid. Got replace both rear tires after less than 10K miles out of pocket. Paid for alignment and now the rear passenger tire is doing the same.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
FWIW, yesterday I sent a long, descriptive email to Michelin, with links to this thread (among others), clearly laying out a scenario where people will likely be injured or killed if Michelin and Tesla don't get on this STAT.

It's a ticking time bomb of: 1. a very hard to see tire failure; 2. cars capable of more than 150 mph . . . .

Still awaiting a response.

I have a stupid question, I have a set of 19“ wheels with pirellis (from another plaid) coming my way, do I need to change the TPMS to the one I have on my Michelins or will the car just synch to the new TPMS?
I read somewhere that it should be automatic, just want to make sure.

Adding my pics to this thread even if it's a bit late. I had this issue today and stumbled upon this thread when researching this issue. I made an appointment at the local SC for alignment for what it's worth.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpeg
    IMG_0664.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0665.jpeg
    IMG_0665.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 123