Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worse, original are 30K, the EV are 20K
Wow, that's a killer for Sport EV then because Michelin automatically reduces their mileage warranty by 50% for ALL staggered tire fitments (rears different than the fronts), which is now standard across the board for the Palladium Model S, even with the 19" base wheels, IIRC.

Thus, while the original tires ostensibly would have a 15k mileage warranty, the new Michelin Sport EV tires would have--wait for it--an amazing 10k mileage warranty!

Perhaps they'll be a better value and cost half as much;-)

I know y’all are all up in arms with Michelin/ Tesla for this issue. Y’all probably don’t even want to hear this from me.

I’ll say it anyway! You may even win against either of these guilty parties but is it worth the stress and the aggravation?

Instead why not just fix your issue with solutions that exist?

Every solution that exists short of Tesla fixing the problem has significant downsides.

Putting aftermarket suspension parts on your car carries the risk of getting a warranty claim denied, regardless of whether or not the part had anything to do with the problem. Tesla has done this before. Yes, you have recourse - sue them. But they can do whatever they want with you and your broken car.

Putting on 19" wheels - what if I'm happy with my 21s or don't want to buy another set of wheels? I happen to like the look of the 21s and don't mind the weight/ride penalty, especially since I already have them. Ultimately though, this is the fix I went with - I compromised and switched to 20s which was not cheap. And what's aggravating about it is that it's an expense I incurred only because Tesla is ignoring this problem.

I know y’all are all up in arms with Michelin/ Tesla for this issue. Y’all probably don’t even want to hear this from me.

I’ll say it anyway! You may even win against either of these guilty parties but is it worth the stress and the aggravation?

Instead why not just fix your issue with solutions that exist?
Even more important is the massive risk this problem presents.

The VAST majority of Plaid owners don't lurk here and will not know of this issue until it may be too late.

Someone is going to have a major accident from this problem because it's so well hidden (inside sidewall of the rear tires), and only occasionally manifests as a slow air loss before complete tire failure.

We shouldn't have to be a part of the Beta Test Team for the Palladium Model S, especially at this price point . . . .

That Michelin and Tesla appear to be doing nothing is beyond belief. I guess they just decided that the cost of a potential legal claim is cheaper than a tire and/or suspension recall?

Dumb question but does anyone know where they can currently get a set of rear S Plaid Michelin Pilot Sport 4S T2 Tesla, Acoustic Tech XL, 295/30ZR-21 ?
I'm looking........:mad:
It may not show for you as I believe it changes based on shipping zip / local warehouse but I got them from TireBuyer.com

1664295532081.png

I also see them in stock at Walmart....

Walmart.com

I wish all websites were as detailed as Tire Rack, its really confusing with so many versions of the same model...

Have to be careful, when I first went to TireBuyer they had a different version showing (lower price and different part #). When I checked this morning is when I saw the 60239 for the first time and ordered.

So with that, I cant say 100% sure it has the foam as I haven't received them yet. I am optimistic....

Got my new rear T2s installed by Tesla today. Wow their service is rough at times... you wouldn't believe the amount of tire grease strung all over my perfectly clean wheels. It was beyond absurd..worst I've seen and it made it look like they curbed and scratched the wheels to *sugar*. At least it is easy to clean off but you would think they would do that before giving the car back to the customer, especially after spending 1200ish with labor.

Anyway, here is a pic of the T1 rear tire I kept as a spare (the other one was repaired/patched so I didn't keep it). It has 8600+ miles on it and no signs of the inner edge wearing more than outer edge. Very even wear pattern. Not sure why some cars are seeing this so early and others aren't. Again I do lots of drag racing, spirited driving and launches. Always ride on low suspension by default. Maybe my factory alignment is not as aggressive?

Attachments

• 20220927_171337.jpg
    20220927_171337.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 84