Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I counter:

Show us a single instance of excess inner tire wear . . . with ANYONE with the 19" OEM Pirelli tires. No pressure loss, no delaminations, nothing in comparison to what is apparently consistent and chronic failure of the tread/tire carcass of the Michelin 21" OEM tires.

Zip.

IF all the alignment posts were accurate, by all rights we'd be seeing similar failure rates with the 19" Pirellis, yet we seemingly have none thus far?

But for some it's The Alignment Hill that they're willing to die on because they're all armchair suspension engineers (some of whom are selling some kit on the internet perhaps?).

Geesh.

Some times correlation means points at something folks--it can be one heck of a clue.

I used to have the inner edge wear problem with NON OEM Michelins in both 21" & 20" sizes but that stopped happening when I had the adjustable camber and toe arms installed.

Let me guess, are they all Michelin? Just kidding.

I'm sure they are not without even looking at the thread. Big, heavy, powerful EVs can be tough on tires. Add in suspension settings to help them make the "numbers" that a lot of people want to see (lateral grip, slalom, etc.) and tire wear can suffer as a result.

I'll go read the Lucid thread and see what their issues are.

Reactions: cmarshack
Let me guess, are they all Michelin? Just kidding.

I'm sure they are not without even looking at the thread. Big, heavy, powerful EVs can be tough on tires. Add in suspension settings to help them make the "numbers" that a lot of people want to see (lateral grip, slalom, etc.) and tire wear can suffer as a result.

I'll go read the Lucid thread and see what their issues are.

They are OEM 21” Pirelli tires causing their premature destruction. Ironically, one poster points out that Michelin is coming out with a PS4 tire for their Lucid and they can’t wait to see if it lasts longer than their Pirellies! 😂

It‘s an interesting read. I went on the Lucid forum because I’m contemplating getting rid of my Tesla and moving on. I wanted to see what issues the Lucid was experiencing. Turns out all the cars are the same. None are without faults and many of the faults are the same across different brands. They have the same premature tire failures (not present in the 19” size), same software glitches, same rattles, same suspension issues where they swear the car isn’t adjusting in various modes, etc. It‘s like reading TMC over there.

They are OEM 21” Pirelli tires causing their premature destruction. Ironically, one poster points out that Michelin is coming out with a PS4 tire for their Lucid and they can’t wait to see if it lasts longer than their Pirellies! 😂

It‘s an interesting read. I went on the Lucid forum because I’m contemplating getting rid of my Tesla and moving on. I wanted to see what issues the Lucid was experiencing. Turns out all the cars are the same. None are without faults and many of the faults are the same across different brands. They have the same premature tire failures (not present in the 19” size), same software glitches, same rattles, same suspension issues where they swear the car isn’t adjusting in various modes, etc. It‘s like reading TMC over there.
Well, not spending $250k for that for a while then... Also, the nearest lucid service center is 8 hours away. I'm annoyed about all my Tesla service visits and they are only 20 minutes away.

Reactions: emailforbrett
Yeah, I looked at that, as well. I’m in Orlando and the closest service is in Palm Beach….about 4 hours away. Not to mention the lack of supercharging for road trips. I get frustrated with my Tesla, but there really is no comparable replacement when you take a holistic view at all that goes into owning an EV.

Rivian owners too. No one seems to understand it’s not ‘conserve mode’ that ends front tires on a riv… it’s the toe curve being absolutely insane at the extremes of ride height.

Much like a model 3’s tendency to toe out under compression. Mitigate your issues as if you were a race team trying not to blow the budget on consumables.

Reactions: Sam1
It's this right here ^
Michelin has nothing to do with it, just happen to be the OE suppler of the 21" tires. I have had 3 Model S's all with 22' wheels, all ran Continental ExtremeContact DWS and all failed at the inner edge long beofre there was any real wear on the rest of the tire. On my 2013 I installed camber arms and it fixed the "issue". My 2020 i just bought new rear tires every 10K miles and my 2022 I have been swapping the tires left to right in a rotation to get 24K miles out of my last pair, which failed on the inner edge before the tire hit the wear bars (left me stranded in Bishop CA for two days).

The issue is a combination of low-profile tires (21" or 22"), weight (heavy ass car), torque and camber. If you don't want to run tiny wheels, then only one of those you can adjust is the camber.
Or just buy toe links and handle your problem the right way? Or set the car in the ‘adjust speed’ button to ‘never’ rather than ‘always’, align the car at medium and properly set rear toe.

Easy way to show y’all that this is an issue, set your front toe to the same as the rear, watch you wipe frony tires on par with the rears. 🤷🏿‍♂️

We don't really get a choice. It drops to low on the highway no matter what setting you put it in.

But, interesting point about the toe. Here are my most recent alignment settings. I kind of think the Tesla alignment system might be a random number generator, because the "before" doesn't match the "after" from my alignment just a month earlier. Or the one a month before that. I'm pretty sure they didn't do anything that would have moved the alignment between the last two.

But, looks like I have sufficient positive toe, which seems to be pointing in, hopefully to avoid rear tire problems.

View attachment 964037

View attachment 964038
View attachment 964039
You do have a choice. Click on suspension menu, see the ‘adjust speed’ button? Click, set to never. Boom, car will stay at height you set. Align there. Ditch toe out , go sliiiiiiightly IN(.1 or .19) or zero. —matching left to right.
match your neg rear camber to the same as well, side to side, per axle.

Your problems will disappear. You will hit 6-10k miles more and think you didn’t drive the car by looking at the lack of visible wear.

This isn’t magic. This is very much common knowledge. As evident by the first link in a google search.

As far as toe before and after not matching. Toe will go out of spec from garbage roads/curb feeling/parking brick bumping and generally daily driving. However, there isn’t a ‘keyed’ place for the alignment heads to be installed on. You can only compare the before to after per alignment job.

Last edited:
You have your positive and negative backwards. Toe out (tires pointing outwards) is negative toe. Toe in (tires pointing inwards) is positive toe. You want a little positive toe because upon acceleration the tires will toe out a bit (rubber suspension bushings).

Rear Tow out (negative toe) is what really destroys the sidewall to tread edge on the rear 21” tires.
You right at my flip flop of pos/neg. Fail while at the track for the last few days.

Excessive Toe out or in will wipe tires.

Zero toe on these cars will have little to no effect when daily driving them. You’re not drag racing, as long as thrust angle is 0 you’ll be fine

Attachments

• IMG_3020.jpeg
    IMG_3020.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 89
You do have a choice. Click on suspension menu, see the ‘adjust speed’ button? Click, set to never. Boom, car will stay at height you set. Align there. Ditch toe out , go sliiiiiiightly IN(.1 or .19) or zero. —matching left to right.

Your problems will disappear. You will hit 6-10k miles more and think you didn’t drive the car by looking at the lack of visible wear.

This isn’t magic. This is very much common knowledge. As evident by the first link in a google search.

As far as toe before and after not matching. Toe will go out of spec from garbage roads/curb feeling/parking brick bumping and generally daily driving. However, there isn’t a ‘keyed’ place for the alignment heads to be installed on. You can only compare the before to after per alignment job.
I'll check it out. How much rear camber are you running in medium?

I think you may have manually selected medium while you were driving the car and that's where your confusion is coming from. The car defaults to low automatically when it reaches 70mph, on every new drive, unless you physically click the button each time.

If your car is currently in medium, don't touch the button and pull the suspension screen up on the display, then go drive the car. It will go into low automatically, unless you physically have pressed medium during that specific drive.

This is not some anomaly, it's baked into everyone's computer. Yours also does not have the anomaly of being able to override it.

I looked and I don't have that option. Maybe because I'm on the FSD beta.

I think you may have manually selected medium while you were driving the car and that's where your confusion is coming from. The car defaults to low automatically when it reaches 70mph, on every new drive, unless you physically click the button each time.

If your car is currently in medium, don't touch the button and pull the suspension screen up on the display, then go drive the car. It will go into low automatically, unless you physically have pressed medium during that specific drive.

This is not some anomaly, it's baked into everyone's computer. Yours also does not have the anomaly of being able to override it.

I double-checked this on my drive today. Mine drops to low at 55 or 60 mph. As soon as I got on the highway. I don't have any setting to prevent it. I'm on 2023.7.20.

The only option I have is to default to low all the time. I am 2023.26.8.

As a result, I just set my alignment while in low. Not to mention, based on what I've read here, being in the higher settings tends to exacerbate the problem with the halfshafts. So damned if you do, damned if you don't, unless you take care of the rear camber and alignment. Then riding in low doesn't wear out the tires and you minimize halfshaft wear.

While English may not be my first and/or primary language… reading it isn’t difficult.

I suppose mine, on FSD Beta, must be some magical vehicle that does things that tesla vehicles do? 🤷🏿‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_3130.jpeg
    IMG_3130.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3129.jpeg
    IMG_3129.jpeg
    430.8 KB · Views: 52
While English may not be my first and/or primary language… reading it isn’t difficult.

I suppose mine, on FSD Beta, must be some magical vehicle that does things that tesla vehicles do? 🤷🏿‍♂️
I'm not sure what year you have, but here is the manual for mine (2021+). Those options aren't listed and don't show up on my screen.