Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then I drive my 3 back to back with my Plaid and I know why I spent the money on the Plaid. I've spoken to a lot of Plaid owners in my area and really the main gripe has been rear tire wear. Virtually none of them have been aware of the easy fix for it as almost none of them have been on this forum or FB.

I'd sell my 3 in a heartbeat and keep the Plaid. The 3 is a good car but the Plaid is an amazing one that I never tire of driving except maybe in super dense city traffic. That is only because of it slightly larger size but it is a lot more fun at stoplights. :cool:

3, Y... were never ever even in the equation for me and will never be. Color me vain, but truthfully, I don't want to be seen in them except Uber. They're as ubiquitous as Bird scooters in West LA. Zzzz.

MSP is my first Tesla, first ev. Yea, I spent extra dough on adjustable camber arms, yea I have the 35mph first go vibration, yea I needed to get Track Pack brakes, yea depreciation sucks, yet the end result is I remain one happy camper.

Power is world class. Software is top shelf. Charging network unmatched. Next to the Taycan wagon, the latest MSP build is still the best looking four door ev on the market.

Now will I buy another Tesla after this one? Probably not, especially if the other makes catch up in the next 2-3 years.

Yeah, I regret selling my performance 3 for my plaid. Too many issues, too many trips to the service center. 11 visits so far and still broken.
What issues are you having? Sorry, you have them. Eleven visits sounds like a lot for any car.

My 2022 MS LR was flawless after resolving the delivery panel alignment issues. My 2022 MSP (on 19's) has much better panel alignment and other than the extra minor 38-42 mph vibe (now gone) it has been rock solid. Obviously, I had an issue with the 21" wheels and accelerated rear tire wear but Macsboost took care of that inexpensively.

What issues are you having? Sorry, you have them. Eleven visits sounds like a lot for any car.

My 2022 MS LR was flawless after resolving the delivery panel alignment issues. My 2022 MSP (on 19's) has much better panel alignment and other than the extra minor 38-42 mph vibe (now gone) it has been rock solid. Obviously, I had an issue with the 21" wheels and accelerated rear tire wear but Macsboost took care of that inexpensively.
I have two problems left, the rest were fixed. I have the 40-50 mph vibration and a loud squeaking in the front suspension.

How did you get rid of your vibration?

I have two problems left, the rest were fixed. I have the 40-50 mph vibration and a loud squeaking in the front suspension.

How did you get rid of your vibration?
It's probably the most expensive fix possible for the vibration. When I got the track pack brakes, it all went away. The car was smoother at all speeds and the 38-42 vibration seems to be totally gone. Another forum member reported the same thing.

The smoother aspect all around is noticeable. Brakes feel smoother, acceleration feels smoother and just rolling down the road feels smoother. Which would normally be a great thing but I couldn't find any acoustic PS4S tiress for my 20" wheels when I ordered. The noise at certain speeds from them is driving me crazy. It is worse from 20-50 mph than once I am at 70-80 mph.

I can't believe this never happens to anything other than the 21" Michelin tires! Here's another example...err wait, that's greentheonly's model x with either Pirelli or Conti's (can't tell) from a post yesterday.

F7JwSZ7XYAAxWRx.jpeg

Crap. Michelin won't do anything on my tires unless I bring it to Tesla. Haven't other people had this taken care of at Discount Tire and others? I don't want to go to the service center if I have to.
Utter BS.

Any Discount Tire should be able to file a warranty claim.

Visit Michelin's website for details and to start the process there if needed. AFAIK, Tesla won't assist with a tire warranty claim, but others may have more insight on this?

So far I have complained to Michelin via 2 separate stores and Michelin directly. They are not interested in helping at this time. They say it is a "wear issue". I am trying one more store, but this is tiresome. I had tesla perform alignment and was told my rear alignment was fine. Not really sure what to do at this point. I may just have to get some 19"s. Not reasonable to spend this kind of money every 5-7k miles. Especially when my tires otherwise do not look that worn...
IMG_2179.jpg

So far I have complained to Michelin via 2 separate stores and Michelin directly. They are not interested in helping at this time. They say it is a "wear issue". I am trying one more store, but this is tiresome. I had tesla perform alignment and was told my rear alignment was fine. Not really sure what to do at this point. I may just have to get some 19"s. Not reasonable to spend this kind of money every 5-7k miles. Especially when my tires otherwise do not look that worn...View attachment 979161
Did you try a Discount Tire location? Emphasize that this is NOT a treadwear issue, but a tire DEFECT with warranty replacement request.

If no luck there, file a tire DEFECT warranty claim here:

(AGAIN: Emphasize that this is NOT a treadwear issue, but a "TIRE DEFECT with tread delamination at the inner sidewall, with air pressure loss, and with safety implications." Request the tires be replaced ASAP. Also, advise that you have NO alignment issues, as confirmed by our service center.)

Lastly, file a NHTSA complaint here--there needs to be a recall on these tires before someone gets hurt:

Please keep us posted.

p.s. Keep the old tires for the warranty claim as Michelin may want them for inspection.

So far I have complained to Michelin via 2 separate stores and Michelin directly. They are not interested in helping at this time. They say it is a "wear issue". I am trying one more store, but this is tiresome. I had tesla perform alignment and was told my rear alignment was fine. Not really sure what to do at this point. I may just have to get some 19"s. Not reasonable to spend this kind of money every 5-7k miles. Especially when my tires otherwise do not look that worn...View attachment 979161

Have a race shop do the alignment. The 'within spec' that Tesla does is not good.

Put on a set of N2itive rear adjustable arms or Macboost or shims, etc. It will fix the tread separation issue and you can enjoy your 21’s.
Yup having mine installed today. Pretty despicable that owners have to do this themselves. I've seen a lot of people file frivolous class action suits against Tesla. This is actually one I would support.

Reactions: emailforbrett