Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid doesn't seem to hold its resale value very well. Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can get a 2021 model s plaid with 15,000 miles in good shape (with full self driving) for about $106k or order a band new similar one for around $157k. The other tesla models have not dropped such a large percentage in just one year? Nor other oem cars. Is it the yoke vs steering wheel?

You can get a 2021 model s plaid with 15,000 miles in good shape (with full self driving) for about $106k or order a band new similar one for around $157k. The other tesla models have not dropped such a large percentage in just one year? Nor other oem cars. Is it the yoke vs steering wheel?
Performance version usually does drop the most.

If it’s the yoke, people can simply get a 3rd party regular steering wheel.

Prices on all used Tesla models are dropping like a rock. There is currently a big disconnect on used vs new pricing where buying new will face more than usual depreciation. In general higher trims/options will drop faster than base models and it doesn't help that most Tesla models are overpriced. Hopefully MSRP will come down in 2023 but we'll see.

While there will always be outliers and exceptions, it seems to me that the resale values of 2021 MS Long Range models are fairly similar to that of comparable (mileage, equipment) 2021 MS Plaid models. Obviously, the Plaids lose more in dollar value since they were more expensive new but percentages look to be pretty similar.

I will also add that FSD doesn't have a particular good resale which can bring down the overall resale value percentage when compared to new.

Last edited:

I'm not sure I agree and this is why.

I'm going to use CarMax as my used car source... Right now they have 10 Plaid's for sale. All 2021 models. Removing the outlier @ $128,000. That puts the other 9 for sale @ an average of $116,000. Right now (dec 2022), you can buy a new 2023 Plaid from, Tesla @ $136,000. So with that said, only loosing 17.24% of MSRP after two (model) years of ownership is pretty good resale value, imo...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 9.56.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 9.56.59 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 145
I just did the same search but included all Model S from 21-23. It pulled up 10 Plaids and only 3 S. Does anyone know if production was skewed toward the Plaid? Or, is it a case of "The Thrill is Gone" earlier for the Plaid. Maybe the Plaid didn't work out so well for the Flippers.

I just did the same search but included all Model S from 21-23. It pulled up 10 Plaids and only 3 S. Does anyone know if production was skewed toward the Plaid? Or, is it a case of "The Thrill is Gone" earlier for the Plaid. Maybe the Plaid didn't work out so well for the Flippers.

The time to flip or break even was August or earlier in SoCal.

Carfax showing 78k for a 6 month old LR, less than 1 k miles.

Maybe I'll miss my old car less when I load Steam...

Plaid was virtually the only thing being delivered initially. Tesla makes the expensive version with the most profit with LONG delivery times for anything else.

Reactions: Team Geezer
I'm not sure I agree and this is why.

I'm going to use CarMax as my used car source... Right now they have 10 Plaid's for sale. All 2021 models. Removing the outlier @ $128,000. That puts the other 9 for sale @ an average of $116,000. Right now (dec 2022), you can buy a new 2023 Plaid from, Tesla @ $136,000. So with that said, only loosing 17.24% of MSRP after two (model) years of ownership is pretty good resale value, imo...

Many available today for under $100k! I paid $104k for mine with FSD, 14k miles, new tires , great shape a month ago. Love the car except for the yoke and no turn signal stalk.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Reactions: voxel and Bigsakius