Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ reservation holders: what is Tesla telling you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
Now that Elon announced on Twitter earlier today that Plaid+ is cancelled. No need, as Plaid is just so good, I am curious what choices reservation holders now have and what Tesla is telling us.

The way I see it, we would be able to either:

1. Cancel the reservation altogether and get our $1,000 refund back, or
2. Convert the reservation to another model (most definitely Plaid, not sure about others such as LR or other vehicles altogether)

But since some of us made our reservations before some option prices went up, such as FSD from $8,000 to $10,000 (and some other options such as colors), I’m very curious what Tesla is honoring at this point.

So please post your experiences here, thanks!

Now that Elon announced on Twitter earlier today that Plaid+ is cancelled. No need, as Plaid is just so good, I am curious what choices reservation holders now have

1. Cancel the reservation altogether and get our $1,000 refund back, or
2. Convert the reservation to another model (most definitely Plaid, not sure about others such as LR or other vehicles altogether)
If I have money, I would buy the Plaid+ due to its range 520 miles.

I suspect that Tesla wants to concentrate on the present and not the future so it cancels the Plaid+ to encourage buying what available now.

I have no proof but I think once things are settled down and the new cell 4680 will be in production, the Plaid+ will be back.

But since some of us made our reservations before some option prices went up, such as FSD from $8,000 to $10,000 (and some other options such as colors), I’m very curious what Tesla is honoring at this point.

So please post your experiences here, thanks!

Unless there's a specific clause saying that you are locked for $8,000 FSD, the price can change at any time.

The $100 that you paid does not lock in any price. Once you will pay additionally for a Final Configuration with an updated price, you'll get your Final Price Sheet. That's when I would start to count on the locked price on that sheet.

Reactions: croman
Unless there's a specific clause saying that you are locked for $8,000 FSD, the price can change at any time.

The $100 that you paid does not lock in any price. Once you will pay additionally for a Final Configuration with an updated price, you'll get your Final Price Sheet. That's when I would start to count on the locked price on that sheet.

Incorrect. People who order before the price hikes are honored the pricing per their order agreement. I’ve personally confirmed this with Tesla many times, have had that experience myself, and other owners have also had the same experience.

The only time prices change is if the person who placed the order makes any changes to their order. The language in the order agreement specifically calls pricing changes in this section only:

If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date.

Anyway, this thread is meant to share our experiences on Plaid+ orders: what is Tesla’s official stance on what our options are?
i am taking my M3P into service this week, so I will ask the sales team what the deal is. Would love to hear how other Plaid+ reserva holders’ experience goes.

My Tesla guy said the Plaid+ is not officially cancelled and is still on the website... and that the "best" way to convert is to cancel reservation on Plaid+ and start a new order for a Plaid with non-refundable $100

My Tesla guy said the Plaid+ is not officially cancelled and is still on the website... and that the "best" way to convert is to cancel reservation on Plaid+ and start a new order for a Plaid with non-refundable $100
I wonder who’s info I’d trust more, the low level employee at the service center or the CEO

When it comes to Tesla ... neither.

The call I got was looking for me to turn my + order into a June Plaid order.
The mechanism for that was for me to place an order for the Plaid and then the sales rep canceled my + order and secured my delivery place in line.

Now what happens remains to be seen.

As for the idea that pricing on the + was locked in, I've never been a big fan of this given how much could and likely would change between when I placed the order and when Tesla ever did deliver. I expected some bumps in the road from previous experience.

I spoke to a very nice Tesla sales rep at the SF store today. The first thing she said when I mentioned I have a Plaid+ reservation was “uh-oh…”

She seemed rightly frustrated by Elon’s tweet as the sales team had no idea the Plaid+ was going to be cancelled. It sounds like they’re still trying to figure out what our options are, but essentially:

1. I could definitely cancel my order and get a full refund of the $1,000 deposit

2. I could then place an order for the Plaid or any other model if I wanted to, but it would be at current pricing

However, she actually recommended I keep my reservation while they figure things out. She implied that if I wanted a Plaid and wanted to keep the same options, the pricing of those options would be honored (in my case, this would include FSD at $8,000) as long as I didn’t change which options I want. Which is fine with me, since I still like the multicoat red and 19” wheels (even better now that the aero covers are darker).

She also mentioned I could put reservation “on hold” instead of switching to Plaid for a June or July delivery. I told her I’d like to wait until September or October to (a) test drive it myself to make sure I like “normal” Plaid and all the new gadgets, incl. the yoke wheel, and (b) get to a stabilized production that has all the kinks of “early models” worked out.

So it looks like good news overall, despite my disappointment with the Plaid+ cancellation. I am going to the Plaid event tomorrow to see what’s up, maybe I get to sit in one and get a feel for it.

It seems Tesla is pushing Plaid into the space originally occupied by the + (from a pricing standpoint).

Now that I think about it, this explains the calls to + reservation holders to make the switch (before the price increase). Having the + reservation saved us $10K on the Plaid.

Now that I think about it, this explains the calls to + reservation holders to make the switch (before the price increase). Having the + reservation saved us $10K on the Plaid.
The call I got was "Do you want to wait a year for what you ordered, or would you rather have this now", and assured me that my place in line for the P+
would be earlier on in the deliveries, and they would contact me around May/June 2022 to get things rolling again.

Obviously things have changed, as now it's "Do you want something now, or do you want a refund". I've been waiting for the call again in order to secure FSD for the $8k price I ordered it at, but in the mean time the price of the car itself has gone up $10k. I'm going to give them a call shortly to discuss this, and I'll report back.

Reactions: bhzmark and cryptyk
It seems Tesla is pushing Plaid into the space originally occupied by the + (from a pricing standpoint).

At the time the calls were made to “downgrade“ Plaid+ reservation holders to Plaid, if they also told us the Plaid+ was going to be cancelled and the Plaid was going to be $10k more, I would think a lot more of us would have done the switch.

But from my in-person conversation with the Tesla rep at the SF store yesterday, it was clear that very few people at Tesla (read: Elon and perhaps a few of his minions) knew the Plaid+ was going to be cancelled, and that the Plaid was going up in price.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still annoyed at Tesla (mostly just at Elon) for not being transparent, but I don‘t think the calls were made to save us $10k. Much more likely, the calls were made to secure sales by the end of the quarter. Classic Tesla..

If I’ve learned anything from my experience with dealing with Tesla and buying two of their top-of-the-line models, is that it’s best to wait until the dust settles and the excitement fizzled. Better car production fit & finish, more stable prices. I’m willing to bet that in a few months the Plaid will drop again in price to adjust for decline in demand.

Any updates on this? I placed my Plaid+ order on Sept 22, the second he said it was available to order, and now I'm floating in the ether...

I'm bummed because I went to the event last night and saw all the other first 25 guys picking up their Plaids and getting tequila bottles for free. At the time of my reservation there was no Plaid and Plaid+, it automatically converted to a Plaid+ and I'm punished for not converting it back down to a Plaid?