Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ reservation holders: what is Tesla telling you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I feel like we should tweet Elon for this unfair treatment to their loyal customers/reservation holders.

Also let's not forget the so called Plaid+ was called Plaid S at the time of Reservation with much better range / performance and all other good stuff.

Now its the same name aka model, but not all those features.. :) How is this not Bait and switch.
A bait and switch would be offering us the Plaid for the same price as our Plaid+ reservation, but they don't even want our money (at the moment) it seems. The current message from Tesla is "We'll refund you and if you want a Plaid, order it from the website at current price, and get at the back of the line", which is honestly better described as a "dick move", haha.

First experience with buying a Tesla and been the worst car buying experience I've ever had, with a complete lack of communication and constant issues. I ordered a Model S plaid plus in February, at dealership, in Charlotte, NC. The salesperson told me I would receive the car in the middle of this year. I found out through the internet that it was delayed to the end of the year. Then again I found out on the internet it's delayed until middle of next year. Zero communication from anyone at Tesla. Had to send several emails for both delays to get a response from someone in order to confirm if the delays I saw online were true or just rumors.

Saturday before last I received a call from someone named Shannon at Tesla asking if I want to take delivery of a Model s plaid base sooner. She communicated that my plaid plus reservation is still good and I will definitely receive the car next year. I told her I'll do some due diligence online regarding the base plaid, then get back to her on Monday. I go online the next day (Sunday) and find out that a nonchalant (even condescending) tweet is made that the car which was promised to me is now canceled. When I spoke to Shannon on the phone the day before, she did not tell me this! On Monday, I called her to confirm If I will or won't receive the car as she promised two days prior. She tells me it's cancelled. So I tell her that I'll do research and get back to her shortly regarding the base plaid. I call her on Wednesday with some questions. She answers my basic questions and promises I will receive better communication, given the complete lack of communication previously. We also discussed the price and timing of plaid. On Thursday I go online to order the plaid and find out that the price is increased from what she and I discussed by $10,000. She never told me this was happening! I emailed her Friday morning to let her know about this increase that I saw, fully expecting to be grandfathered into the price, that we had discussed. She tells me she can't do that.

I feel completely misled throughout this car buying experience and feel taken advantage of. It certainly feels like Tesla held my deposit for several months, with no intent to deliver what was promised. Interest free loan. Furthermore, given the circumstances and the situation, I would expect at minimum the price discussed with Shannon and at the time of plus cancellation would be honored for the base car.

I've tried to escalate, sent email to customer service, and office of Elon Musk. No response from customer service or office of CEO. Escalated to two levels above Shannon and just receive a canned response that they can't do anything. Unbelievable!

Great to see so many other owners thinking on the same lines. This would have been my 3rd car, now genuinely considering a merc

This would have been my 3rd Tesla as well (and I told their rep as much), after a 2010 Roadster Sport and a 2016 MX90D.

I agree with others here that a model having same/similar specs as the MS Plaid+ is nearly inevitable.
It's not a matter of if.
It's a matter of when.
And I'm frankly willing to wait.

Plaid- on telemarketing day at 119k was a maybe as a consolation prize. I'll echo others that the main reason to get the Plaid+ was the 520 mi range. Plaid- at 129k is a slap in the face unless the Plaid- specs have improved. Tesla should do the right thing and honor the original pricing for those of us who loaned them deposit money on a now defunct product.

Reactions: cassiri
So My wife really wanted the plaid+, We have a plaid + reservation as well since Battery day. Spoke to Tesla sales they said only thing they can do is honor the 8k Price for FSD if we convert the order.

They wont even Promise a delivery before August or keep the que line as its a different product. So at this time I have kept my plaid + reservation as is.

However since Wife really love the car and really want the Plaid S, we have today ordered the Plaid S as new order for August delivery. If anything changes between now and august we will loose $100 and convert or will hold on to the plaid + reservation as long as I can.

If after Few year plaid + really happens we will just trade the plaid s then. But still pissed at tesla for how they are treating us.

Reactions: DukeofURL
I received an email from a local Tesla SA with regards to the MYLR I have a reservation for my wife. I answered his question, then described the Plaid+ scenario we've been chatting about here... I expect to get the same response, but the more people who know that it was a screwup, the better. All I can do is hope in the next week or so they come to their senses.

Hi Quick question on the Plaid S, According to some article online "Tesla says peak horsepower happens at 80 mph and holds steady all the way to 200 mph (provided you've dropped $4,500 on the optional 21-inch wheels and your car has a yet-to-be-released software update; in its current state the Plaid is limited to 163 mph)."

Does that mean if, we get the 19 inch wheel option we wont hit the peak horsepower ? Is that something tied to the wheel package or can we always add the wheels later and still get the peak horsepower. I am a bit confused.

First experience with buying a Tesla and been the worst car buying experience I've ever had, with a complete lack of communication and constant issues. I ordered a Model S plaid plus in February, at dealership, in Charlotte, NC. The salesperson told me I would receive the car in the middle of this year. I found out through the internet that it was delayed to the end of the year. Then again I found out on the internet it's delayed until middle of next year. Zero communication from anyone at Tesla. Had to send several emails for both delays to get a response from someone in order to confirm if the delays I saw online were true or just rumors.

Saturday before last I received a call from someone named Shannon at Tesla asking if I want to take delivery of a Model s plaid base sooner. She communicated that my plaid plus reservation is still good and I will definitely receive the car next year. I told her I'll do some due diligence online regarding the base plaid, then get back to her on Monday. I go online the next day (Sunday) and find out that a nonchalant (even condescending) tweet is made that the car which was promised to me is now canceled. When I spoke to Shannon on the phone the day before, she did not tell me this! On Monday, I called her to confirm If I will or won't receive the car as she promised two days prior. She tells me it's cancelled. So I tell her that I'll do research and get back to her shortly regarding the base plaid. I call her on Wednesday with some questions. She answers my basic questions and promises I will receive better communication, given the complete lack of communication previously. We also discussed the price and timing of plaid. On Thursday I go online to order the plaid and find out that the price is increased from what she and I discussed by $10,000. She never told me this was happening! I emailed her Friday morning to let her know about this increase that I saw, fully expecting to be grandfathered into the price, that we had discussed. She tells me she can't do that.

I feel completely misled throughout this car buying experience and feel taken advantage of. It certainly feels like Tesla held my deposit for several months, with no intent to deliver what was promised. Interest free loan. Furthermore, given the circumstances and the situation, I would expect at minimum the price discussed with Shannon and at the time of plus cancellation would be honored for the base car.

I've tried to escalate, sent email to customer service, and office of Elon Musk. No response from customer service or office of CEO. Escalated to two levels above Shannon and just receive a canned response that they can't do anything. Unbelievable!
No offense, but they don't know any faster than you do. Alot of stuff like this happens industry wide. I had this happen on a former Raptor I bought.

I know a good number of SA's. Alot of these calls are 8 layers above their head and occasionally no on knows besides Elon until it hits Twitter (this goes for pricing or plans for future makes, or current planned ones cancelled).

No one can anticipate what parts you can and can't get right now. Posts like these aren't helpful.

Try buying any other car right now that is in a order/reservation system and see how it goes for you.

Reactions: bhzmark
I just spoke to my Delivery Advisor.I have two Plaid S order one which is plaid + and one which is plaid s @ 130k price. So he said he cannot convert the order until they get a corporate confirmation email.

So Waiting on this. If this follow thru then I will cancel the plaid s order and convert the plaid+ order :)

Good news indeed, but I’ll save the champagne until I see an updated MVOA in my account that shows the $119k base price for Plaid.

I have yet to hear back from the management team that was supposed to call me back after I stopped by the Tesla store in SF last Wednesday, which was before the price hike.

Reactions: rhuber
Good news indeed, but I’ll save the champagne until I see an updated MVOA in my account that shows the $119k base price for Plaid.

I have yet to hear back from the management team that was supposed to call me back after I stopped by the Tesla store in SF last Wednesday, which was before the price hike.
This is my #1 don't hold your breath tweet callback. I continued to hope this would happen for a while, because I don't like carrying a fob, but didn't realize he meant I'd have to buy a new vehicle for the feature, and it would be three years later. :)

This is my #1 don't hold your breath tweet callback. I continued to hope this would happen for a while, because I don't like carrying a fob, but didn't realize he meant I'd have to buy a new vehicle for the feature, and it would be three years later. :)

But if you like your fob, you can keep your fob..I'm wrapping mine in plaid...

UPDATE - My order is now showing the price as $10K less than today's price, with my order updated to Plaid instead of Plaid+ and the Yoke steering added. So looks like they are allowing the price from 2 weeks ago (i.e. 10K lower), but still have the FSD at 10k instead of 8k.

UPDATE - My order is now showing the price as $10K less than today's price, with my order updated to Plaid instead of Plaid+ and the Yoke steering added. So looks like they are allowing the price from 2 weeks ago (i.e. 10K lower), but still have the FSD at 10k instead of 8k.
My order is now showing the same...converted to plaid without a call or notice of any kind from Tesla. I am happy to see the 10k lower price though! It also now asked for additional info on delivery address, plate registration/transfer, drivers license info and payment options including a finance loan application if I wanted that. It shows a July delivery estimate even though I ordered carbon fiber. Interesting that all this happens without a call or notice from Tesla. LOL. I think I'm going to move forward with it and I'm happy they appear to be honoring the price it was when I first ordered. We shall see.

Reactions: bhzmark and MP3Mike