Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's caused by very slight warped rotors then how how would switching to RWD make it go away?

Although if it was slightly out of round wheels, then it might make a difference powering on the rear wheels... hmmm.
Because the floating rotors would theoretically soak up any minor imbalance. Say the front motor is has some weird gear back lash or something causing okay, floating rots may mask that.

Not saying it’s definitively the issue. Maybe it’s just a reduced rotating mass thing. But I don’t know for sure to make any statement confidently.

Nobody has ever proven that it’s axle geometry, by the way. it has already been established that if you set the power to the rear vibration is completely gone. I think the issue is with the front motor and resonance at different frequencies. Now, the angle of the front motor seems to play a part because lowering the car does make a difference, but that is not the root cause of the issue as far as anyone has been able to tell.
I'm probably speaking of my racing thoughts as I set my pinion angle myself on my race car. To me that makes total sense to me when lowering a vehicle. Either way, lowering it worked perfectly.

Not that it happens on "hard" acceleration but normal driving.

Attachments

• Model S service.PNG
    Model S service.PNG
    40.7 KB · Views: 24
If you like the look, lower it.
I'm either going to lower or spacers. Very thin spacers on my P90D made a huge difference in looks. I'm uncertain of spares on the Plaid though. There HAS to be a tremendous amount of torque in the hubs and the spacer would have to mega strong. The spacers I had on the P90D didn't give me a lot of confidence.

Are you lowered on factory 21" wheels/tires? Do they rub at all?

I'm either going to lower or spacers. Very thin spacers on my P90D made a huge difference in looks. I'm uncertain of spares on the Plaid though. There HAS to be a tremendous amount of torque in the hubs and the spacer would have to mega strong. The spacers I had on the P90D didn't give me a lot of confidence.

Are you lowered on factory 21" wheels/tires? Do they rub at all?
Nope, didn't rub at all. You will need an alignment after because it will move your toe out. I went to the auto store and get the Dorman 965-013D washers, used 2 on each bolt. If you do this, let me know and I can provide help on how. I figured out a way to get it done in about 30 min and that includes taking and installing the wheels. It was super easy. As matter of fact, I had installed another washer with it but it caused my aftermarket wheels to stick out a bit with the aggressive offset and I took a washer out. Took no time at all.