Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, it’s worse in my 2021 Plaid as well. Reported this on day one, after the supposed “fix” - when everyone else was drinking “placebo Koolaid.”

View attachment 1021005
No just to be clear, what I'm saying is post fix the Plaid is pretty much imperceptible (I say pretty much because very rarely I do feel something that is reminiscent of the vibration, but I can't reliably trigger it). LR is also improved, but not to the same degree as the Plaid, so as it stands it is now worse than the Plaid. Both are improved compared to prior to the 2023.44 update.

What you experience with your car on the latest software is not my experience at all.

My MXP had the cold start grind that lasted for a minute and then abruptly stops. I always assumed it was some sort of startup calibration. It was glass smooth at any speed and any acceleration including the speed range that is the topic of this thread.

Is it possible that it is simply some warm-up mode where the motors generate excess heat for the heat pump? Does it depend on the weather?

Seems to happen in all weather. I always figured it's some sort of warmup mode to warmup the motor or battery or something. But the 2021s and LRs not doing it is odd.

Funny anecddote, I used to think my M3LR vibrates when I first start moving, but it turned out to be my kids boots rubbing against the back of my driver seat. The shoe rubber against the seatback just happened to generate a frequency that resonated with the whole car and it felt like even the steering wheel vibrated.

“Can’t be bothered” because I know it would be a waste of time; time that I would never get back!

Yes, “annoying af”! My solution is to walk past the PoS as I hop into a problem-free Rivian R1T. If my $145k PoS were not only worth $53k (per Tesla), I would unload it, post haste. That’s also “annoying af”!! 🤣
Turns out, I did unload it. Gone! AMF!

Reactions: aerodyne
How did you unload it?
Paid $145k, w/FSDj. Tesla offered $53k, yeah, $53k! Carvana offered $61k. Using KBB “Instant cash” the offer was just under $61k, but one of their program Nissan Stealerships offered $67k, no questions asked. Dropped it off, picked up check and was in/out in 15 minutes.

AMF, vibrating Plaid, AMF!

Vibration comes from the axle geometry. I had the exact issue till I lowered my Plaid. Went away. Few months later after I put a set of 20s on, the front right lowering link had an issue. So while they were going to send me new ones, I put the stock links back on. What do you know, the vibration returned. Just 2 days later, new links came in, installed them and the vibration is gone again.

Vibration comes from the axle geometry. I had the exact issue till I lowered my Plaid. Went away. Few months later after I put a set of 20s on, the front right lowering link had an issue. So while they were going to send me new ones, I put the stock links back on. What do you know, the vibration returned. Just 2 days later, new links came in, installed them and the vibration is gone again.
Did you mean the vibration between 35mph-42mph or over 80mph on the highway?

Nobody has ever proven that it’s axle geometry, by the way. it has already been established that if you set the power to the rear vibration is completely gone. I think the issue is with the front motor and resonance at different frequencies. Now, the angle of the front motor seems to play a part because lowering the car does make a difference, but that is not the root cause of the issue as far as anyone has been able to tell.

Nobody has ever proven that it’s axle geometry, by the way. it has already been established that if you set the power to the rear vibration is completely gone. I think the issue is with the front motor and resonance at different frequencies. Now, the angle of the front motor seems to play a part because lowering the car does make a difference, but that is not the root cause of the issue as far as anyone has been able to tell.
I think others have noted retrofitting track pack also fixes it. Assuming that’s not due to a track pack software change, I wonder if the floating rotors are able to soak up some play from the front motor or something along those lines.

I think others have noted retrofitting track pack also fixes it. Assuming that’s not due to a track pack software change, I wonder if the floating rotors are able to soak up some play from the front motor or something along those lines.
I'm not reading too much into those reports, if I'm honest. The TSB from December did do some things to the vibration. Shifted it around, changed the speeds it happens at etc. It's all a bit more murky now, with a few mile EPA drop for... more mystery.

But just the 80 mph vibration right? And the lower speed one I haven't seen track pack fix that but moving power to the rear makes it vanish. Clearly two different problems.