Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to make light of the issue, but I’m not sure I’ll ever accelerate gingerly enough to take seconds to get from 40-45.
Its not that, its when you are driving 40MPH zones following someone, its a constant reminder that something is off. None of us are accelerating that slow to 45 in a plaid! Its the constant driving at these speeds thats an issue. I was just pointing out how to make it happen.

Reactions: iustin and lbowroom
Guys I have had my axels replaced and motor adjusted to no avail. Engineering is aware of the issue and I am in touch with them daily. This is not a safety issue and might very well end up being firmware. I have been told they are designing new shafts and that will likely be the fix. The more people go in to their SC the better. I have chased this down for weeks. They are hyper sensitive to my car as it was a launch vehicle.

On a side note they have a 1000 or so X Plaids built and have to replace all the shafts in those before delivery and SC centers already have bulletins re: X Plaid vibration. They are on it.
As long as Tesla has a solution, I'm good with that. Could get a little pricey for them in terms of retrofitting on shipped cars, but I'm sure they can afford it.

More interestingly, if and when Tesla determines that new shafts are necessary, I wonder if Tesla will temporarily suspend production on new cars until they have them on the assembly line.

I tried to look for it when driving to work today. It's definitely there in the 40-50mph range and like someone posted, it happens when you lag on the acceleration for a bit. You can definitely feel it in the pedals, the dead pedal area, the yoke, and by extension, the hand holding the yoke. So, it's pretty pronounced. I've felt it a few times before but didn't attribute it to anything specific. If I am being honest, it felt like some of this has been present in every Tesla I've driven and I did not notice it unless I was looking for it.

Unless it is a safety issue or there's certifiable evidence that the wheels are going to fly off this thing when driving, it doesn't bother me much. I'm definitely not discounting that this could indeed be an issue for many folks though! Will be very interested to see what the SCs recommend as long-term fix.

Now, the thing that *does* bother me is a dull thud when making sharp low-speed turns (like in garages and parking lots). That, I've not been able to explain.

Oh, and the other extremely annoying thing is the whistling noise at highway speeds. What's curious is that it only happens in a very specific section of highway on my commute (For those in Seattle metro area, this is the section of 520 right after the 405 exit ramps and before the bridge). I wonder if the car auto-lowers the suspension or some other characteristic in that segment of the road leading to the more prominent whistling noise. (Sorry - I know this is off-topic).

Last edited:
I tried to look for it when driving to work today. It's definitely there in the 40-50mph range and like someone posted, it happens when you lag on the acceleration for a bit. You can definitely feel it in the pedals, the dead pedal area, the yoke, and by extension, the hand holding the yoke. So, it's pretty pronounced. I've felt it a few times before but didn't attribute it to anything specific. If I am being honest, it felt like some of this has been present in every Tesla I've driven and I did not notice it unless I was looking for it.

Unless it is a safety issue or there's certifiable evidence that the wheels are going to fly off this thing when driving, it doesn't bother me much. I'm definitely not discounting that this could indeed be an issue for many folks though! Will be very interested to see what the SCs recommend as long-term fix.

Now, the thing that *does* bother me is a dull thud when making sharp low-speed turns (like in garages and parking lots). That, I've not been able to explain.

Oh, and the other extremely annoying thing is the whistling noise at highway speeds. What's curious is that it only happens in a very specific section of highway on my commute (For those in Seattle metro area, this is the section of 520 right after the 405 exit ramps and before the bridge). I wonder if the car auto-lowers the suspension or some other characteristic in that segment of the road leading to the more prominent whistling noise. (Sorry - I know this is off-topic).

I definitely notice a whistling sound that starts at exactly 68mph. It tends to go away about 72mph or so (something around there). I think it's motor sound as it's not from wind. I'm very sensitive to high-pitched sounds, though. I suspect most won't notice/care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigers and rpan25
I definitely notice a whistling sound that starts at exactly 68mph. It tends to go away about 72mph or so (something around there). I think it's motor sound as it's not from wind. I'm very sensitive to high-pitched sounds, though. I suspect most won't notice/care.
Same, I have the whistling noise. I'm also sensitive to high pitch noise so it drives me nuts. I can hear it when the radio is like 8 or 9

The last reply I liked a lot. I don't have this issue, and nothing should stop anybody from buying this vehicle! NADA...., it is an engineering "work of rolling art". I smile with each mile driven, and when I think the smile will wear off, something else happens and I smile again, like a little kid on his first pony ride :)

Reactions: OxBrew
Yep, I have the issue.. I thought it was the road at first and then I thought I had lane departure on warning, but I only feel it on the gas pedal. I cant really feel it in the wheel. Its one of those things that is probably more noticeable for some than others.. If this was a $25-30k car I would not expect them to address it, but we all spend 6 figures and this needs to be addressed one way or another.

Vin #437138. July 13 build date , 300 miles on it since pickup. I have this EXACT same issue , very pronounced at that MPH range part throttle and cruising. Hoping it’s firmware and not hard parts. Overall a awesome car quality is pretty good with just a few simple things needing attention.

ALSO anyone notice a heavy vibration with the HVAC blower set to 10, ac compressor can be off. It appears the blower wheel is unbalanced at high speed and vibrates the dash, screen , wheel etc…. Can someone test and report back?

Vin #437138. July 13 build date , 300 miles on it since pickup. I have this EXACT same issue , very pronounced at that MPH range part throttle and cruising. Hoping it’s firmware and not hard parts. Overall a awesome car quality is pretty good with just a few simple things needing attention.

ALSO anyone notice a heavy vibration with the HVAC blower set to 10, ac compressor can be off. It appears the blower wheel is unbalanced at high speed and vibrates the dash, screen , wheel etc…. Can someone test and report back?
No vibration here with HVAC set to 10

No update (I have a service visit in New Orleans next week), but I have shared communication with a local Plaid owner (newer build than mine) and he "insists" that his car doesn't have this issue. He is, for whatever reason, unwilling to meet up and compare. Yes, here in the same town. Anyway, I've known people who have some sort of "insecurity" about admitting negatives about their purchases. Maybe they somehow feel that it makes them look as thought they made a bad decision and that reflects badly on them. I don't know. Just speculating.

Anyway, it's a shame I can't validate with this guy that the same model of car, on the same local stretch of road, behaves differently or not. :rolleyes:

No update (I have a service visit in New Orleans next week), but I have shared communication with a local Plaid owner (newer build than mine) and he "insists" that his car doesn't have this issue. He is, for whatever reason, unwilling to meet up and compare. Yes, here in the same town. Anyway, I've known people who have some sort of "insecurity" about admitting negatives about their purchases. Maybe they somehow feel that it makes them look as thought they made a bad decision and that reflects badly on them. I don't know. Just speculating.

Anyway, it's a shame I can't validate with this guy that the same model of car, on the same local stretch of road, behaves differently or not. :rolleyes:
People are calling me a short seller on Facebook because of this. I'm spreading FUD because I'm short tesla stock. So yeah, they are insecure.

I took delivery June 28th MFG date 5/2021 VIN: 430791

can confirm I have the vibration around 40 and an internal rattle that’s been driving me crazy near the back seat somewhere.
The rear seat rattle could just be the seat. Fold down your seat and then close it again. A little grease where the seat connects helps too..... I had something similar and that is what it ended up being