Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plan to drive a Model 3 Performance across Canada and the US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Ray. For me at least this trip first became an idea after reading about the Australian BEV trips. Those were much more daunting than ours will be, or so we hope. We have NEMA 10-50 connections every 150 km or so even in the most remote spots, and our route in entirely paved.

I hope you are a better photographer than am I.

Cerisinha.jpg
and here she is...

only three more sleeps.

Reactions: Miggy and baillies
View attachment 332504 and here she is...

only three more sleeps.
You might be even more sleepless soon. I just drove 480 km and was almost overwhelmed with responsiveness and raw power. This car acts like a more powerful, much more refined, better balanced version of a Porsche 911. Come Tuesday morning you get the first leg. Jet lag will be a distant memory. For the first few legs it will be wise to ignore any effort to save energy!

You might be even more sleepless soon. I just drove 480 km and was almost overwhelmed with responsiveness and raw power. This car acts like a more powerful, much more refined, better balanced version of a Porsche 911. Come Tuesday morning you get the first leg. Jet lag will be a distant memory. For the first few legs it will be wise to ignore any effort to save energy!
That's an extraordinary claim- maybe I need one!
Ray, haven't seen the other thread; is it about the route or the car?
If the route, do you wanna make some comments about the car here?

ok,

but along with the trip info give us a good idea about how the car is to drive.
Will the Model 3P AWD be a good replacement for the Model S P90D??
For me it replaced a P85D. My spouse says there is actually more front passenger room in the 3 than the S, partly because of the very forward dash. I never expected the Model 3 to have such handling.

Ray and I will soon know how those first impressions work out...

Sounds like a blast @raynewman
How did you guys end up doing this trip together?
I can answer that one. Ray and I met at TMC 2015 IIRC, when he gave me a ride tonFremont in his hired S60. He and his spouse later stayed in my place in Florida (and they were the best house guests we have ever had). When the idea for this crazy adventure emerged Ray was just crazy enough to join.

By the way, on Tuesday Ray will have the first couple of legs, so we’ll have a less irrational assessment (perhaps).

A second note for pilots. I made a similar trip in 1987 when I took delivery of a TB-21 and proceeded to fly oven much of Canada and US. Since Tesla I usually prefer driving.

• Love
Reactions: Shock-On-T
We would have been pleased, but we are already in Saint John, NB and off to Quebec City tomorrow.

Soon we will post a summary of the first 3,000 miles which will happen in the next day or so. The P3D is behaving impeccably. We did discover that 2,800 miles in four days is entirely doable and actually more comfortable than was my P85D.

FWIW although the delivery process of the car was pretty horrible, the car itself is really superb. I am actually in awe of the excellence overall.