Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning a trip from Toronto to Vancouver in Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No problem staying or touring in Winnipeg, [...].
Except that it is a problem. Again, from Province of Manitoba | State of Emergency and Public Health Orders:

As per the public health order, 14 days of self-isolation is required for all individuals returning to or coming to Manitoba from all jurisdictions.
There are a few exceptions n but you can't just come to Manitoba from Ontario and stay at a hotel unless you stay for 14 days in self-isolation. To my understanding, this is not what the OP had in mind.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
No problem staying or touring in Winnipeg, it is a nice city. Just if you are wanting a charge and to get on the road again, it is almost downtown. and Portage is only about 90 KM (or less) away. If you want a hotel with free L2 charging, Best Western Plus Winnipeg West, near or in Headingly has been recommended. Easy to get to, but not sure on their pet policy.
Here's hoping things are a LOT better by June.
It is about 220 Km from Winnipeg SC to Brandon SC
Hey thanks! I was actually really looking forward to visiting Winnipeg. I actually called a few hotels there to ask about isolation and apparently I would be fine if I’m only staying for a night and leaving the next morning.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
On a lighter note- we did this trip from Toronto to Vancouver to Edmonton and back to Thunder Bay in 1988. Our challenge was different, no cell phone, no GPS , and sometimes driving for hours on Trans-Canada Highway for more than an hour w/o seeing a single vehicle. Survived on AAA maps and AAA tour guide. ICE car- mazda 626 ( if I remember the model right)

Except that it is a problem. Again, from Province of Manitoba | State of Emergency and Public Health Orders:

There are a few exceptions n but you can't just come to Manitoba from Ontario and stay at a hotel unless you stay for 14 days in self-isolation. To my understanding, this is not what the OP had in mind.
He did say the trip was to be in June. Hard to say what the restrictions will be then. After all, aren't we supposed to ALL be vaccinated by then? LOL

Easy solution for you, buy a small Honda gas generator that your Tesla can plug into (check and test first) then there is no place you can't go !
This reply is for Vawlkus and Rypalmer;
You thumbs down on my reply is absolutely warranted and if it were me id react it the same manner trust me, I bought a Tesla for a reason sustainability
But I'm responding directly to concern of someone who believes they won't make it through a certain section or two of the transcanada highway. Which I can say from experience is just fine as I've travelled from Vancouver to Calgary going through those exact spots. I'm just trying to give a solution that also gives peace of mind. So please take in the whole picture before poo pooing me. 🤓

Reactions: Bulldogge16
You thumbs down on my reply is absolutely warranted and if it were me id react it the same manner trust me, I bought a Tesla for a reason sustainability
But I'm responding directly to concern of someone who believes they won't make it through a certain section or two of the transcanada highway. Which I can say from experience is just fine as I've travelled from Vancouver to Calgary going through those exact spots. I'm just trying to give a solution that also gives peace of mind. So please take in the whole picture before poo pooing me. 🤓
You are new here. It would help us if you put up a nice avatar and a signature line that shows your current vehicle. A lot of times FUD spreaders just come on with one or two posts to get folks upset. Thanks for clearing up your perspective on sustainability. Welcome. :)

Your recommendation of taking a small generator along was not a reasonable solution (slow or bulky, messy, embarrassing), and is also totally unnecessary. There are no unserviced gaps along the Trans Canada Highway anymore. As far as I can tell, the longest hop is only about 230km.

I can't tell for sure how it is with an SR+ (mine is a LR), but we made a similar trip from eastern Ontario to BC last summer.

It took us four days at about 900 km/day to get there. We stayed at hotels that had chargers, so we were able to start each day with a full battery.

The Trans Canada Highway has lots of V3 superchargers along the way. In fact, we skipped some of them. I would just enter the destination in the navigation and let the car figure it out. It worked well for us and I have no doubt that the SR+ can do the trip, too. If anything, you might have to obey some speed limits if the next SuC is far away ;)

Not sure if it helps, but those are the hotels we stayed at:

It doesn't have a charger, but there's a Ford dealership just 5 minutes away (walking distance) that allowed us to charge overnight (we asked and they said it's okay).

There are of course more places with level 2 chargers. The reason I picked those was that they were just in the right spots for an overnight stay.

Btw, the hydro costs for the entire trip (9,000 km) were C$110, all from supercharging. I didn't have to pay a single cent for L2 charging, so the "fuel" costs were pretty much negligible.

God luck!
How did you find out that these hotels allowed charging ahead of time? Did you just call them?

Thanks for the input, I have the SR+. My trip will be the end of June so hopefully things will get a little better by then. What’s the reason for staying out of Winnipeg? I was planning to stay in a hotel there for a night.

The Kicking Horse construction road closure will be done by end of May. You can go staright from Lake Louise to Golden. That stretch between Canmore and Golden will be the most scenic part of your drive if the weather is nice.

In fact, I'd recommend spend at least two nights here so you get to visit Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Bow Lake and small part of Icefield Parkway.

How did you find out that these hotels allowed charging ahead of time? Did you just call them?

Plugshare is your friend.

The Kicking Horse construction road closure will be done by end of May. You can go staright from Lake Louise to Golden. That stretch between Canmore and Golden will be the most scenic part of your drive if the weather is nice.

In fact, I'd recommend spend at least two nights here so you get to visit Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Bow Lake and small part of Icefield Parkway.

Plugshare is your friend.
Thanks! I’m very excited to be visiting Banff! It’s truly a magnificent place and we do plan to spend two days there.

As @Kenypowa mentioned, you can find almost every charger on www.plugshare.com. The only one I wasn't sure about was the one at the Ford dealership in Sault Ste Marie. But: there is a supercharger just around the corner from the hotel. Had I not been able to charge overnight, I would've just supercharged in the morning.

With that said, I did call the hotels to confirm that their chargers are working. To get the maximum out of the free L2 chargers, I charged to 90% overnight and then continued toward 100% when I woke up in the morning. That way the battery didn't have to sit there for hours at max SoC. I usually left the hotels at about 98% SoC, give or take.

Reactions: SilverGS
I echo Ry’s reply with a little more: the extra weight of the generator counts against you for range. It’s less hassle in almost every way to plan your route with the onboard nav plus ABRP, and use PlugShare if you need to find something nearby.

I think someone already mentioned this but I believe the SC hwy 1 route is and has been completed from Tesla so they say you can go from East to West Canada with no problems and also as a back up plan the Petro Canada hwy chargers are also up and running

Reactions: LabiPissing
So far my really two concerns are between Sault Ste.Marie to Wawa (220km with lots of elevation change)
I did this route last year in my Model X 75D (heavy and short range) in pouring rain and its doable. We were vacationing in Sault Ste. Marie and decided to visit Wawa and then back to SSM. Here's what happened:

SSM to Wawa:
- Since we were at a hotel in SSM and had a charger, we charged up to 100% the morning we left for Wawa. It was raining all day.
- We had a stop over at Voyageurs Lodge to eat lunch and they had some Tesla chargers to use while we ate: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You . From what I remember I arrived with 70% or so.
- After eating lunch (I think an hour or so) we left with I think 80%.
-Another stop over to check out Magpie falls on the way and arrive at Wawa with I think 15-20%.

Wawa back to SSM
- At this point heavy rain and thunderstorm warnings we're going off. So I was charging at Wawa making sure I had 25% estimated arrival to SSM supercharger. Wanted to make sure I had a big buffer due to the hard wind and pouring rain. I think I left the charger with either 98% or 96%
- Glad I did that buffer as I ended up with 8% left at SSM. There were times where it was raining so hard I could barely see...I may have also hydro planed a couple time lol.

The speed limit on that stretch is 90 km/h from what I remember and I was usually doing just 10 over since that's what autopilot only allowed me to do. I wasn't too worried since I had Voyageurs Lodge if I needed to bail out to get a little extra juice.

If you're driving on a day without crazy weather, then I think you should be fine. Just add some extra buffer on your estimated charge on arrival if you do see some bad weather rolling in.
If you'd like to see some of the terrain on the way, I like to make road trip videos my family and I take for keepsake, you can view this trip here:

Good luck and safe travels on your trip!

I did this route last year in my Model X 75D (heavy and short range) in pouring rain and its doable. We were vacationing in Sault Ste. Marie and decided to visit Wawa and then back to SSM. Here's what happened:

SSM to Wawa:
- Since we were at a hotel in SSM and had a charger, we charged up to 100% the morning we left for Wawa. It was raining all day.
- We had a stop over at Voyageurs Lodge to eat lunch and they had some Tesla chargers to use while we ate: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You . From what I remember I arrived with 70% or so.
- After eating lunch (I think an hour or so) we left with I think 80%.
-Another stop over to check out Magpie falls on the way and arrive at Wawa with I think 15-20%.

Wawa back to SSM
- At this point heavy rain and thunderstorm warnings we're going off. So I was charging at Wawa making sure I had 25% estimated arrival to SSM supercharger. Wanted to make sure I had a big buffer due to the hard wind and pouring rain. I think I left the charger with either 98% or 96%
- Glad I did that buffer as I ended up with 8% left at SSM. There were times where it was raining so hard I could barely see...I may have also hydro planed a couple time lol.

The speed limit on that stretch is 90 km/h from what I remember and I was usually doing just 10 over since that's what autopilot only allowed me to do. I wasn't too worried since I had Voyageurs Lodge if I needed to bail out to get a little extra juice.

If you're driving on a day without crazy weather, then I think you should be fine. Just add some extra buffer on your estimated charge on arrival if you do see some bad weather rolling in.
If you'd like to see some of the terrain on the way, I like to make road trip videos my family and I take for keepsake, you can view this trip here:

Good luck and safe travels on your trip!
Thanks for your detailed reply!
Hopefully the weather won’t be too crazy but it sounds like it should be possible to do!
Your video is great!

Reactions: Vawlkus and Shaz
Hey all,
Me and my wife are moving to Vancouver next month and we have decided to drive since we have two dogs and we have always wanted to do a cross country road trip.
(We actually thought about selling the Model 3 and buy a gas car for the trip, but we only got the Tesla in December last year so we will end up having to pay like $5000 just to sell it)
That being said, I’ve spend a lot of time recently studying the locations of superchargers along the way and just trying to make sure that we have enough battery to cover the distance between each of them.
So far my really two concerns are between Sault Ste.Marie to Wawa (220km with lots of elevation change) and between Banff and Golden (Highway 1 closed outside of Golden, have to take highway 95 for a 259km detour).
I wonder if anyone has any experience for such a trip, any advice/help/input is appreciated.
Also if anyone is looking to buy a new Tesla please let me share my referral with you, I need all the supercharging mileage I need for this trip.
Thanks everyone for reading and stay safe.
Hi @LabiPissing , how was your trip? Looking to do the same in a couple months. Any thoughts or experiences you can share? Thanks in advance.