Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Enter Access Code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the category of simple things I'd like to do that I can't because I don't have access to the diagnostic mode: add the car's mobile number to my AT&T microcell. Frustrating.

You could ask your service center to tell you the mobile number.

I have gathered that data from my car and plan on adding it to my microcell ASAP to see if the signal at home improves.

I think neroden should have tuned it down a bit, but he has a point.

When I buy the car I want to see that information about my car.

I don't really mind right now since I'm still waiting, but in the future I'd like to get access to this info.

Tesla is a new brand and they are fighting the established brands, so I'm not going to 'bug' them with this now, maybe in a year :)

Sent from my phone, so my apologies for typos.

Totally agree on this one. However it's like the Xbox360 and the 'adjustments' people make to play backups.

It's a matter of time before someone find the backdoor and opens it, revealing all the stuff that's running behind closed doors.
Lets just hope Tesla doesn't go Microsoft way and voids the Warranty when accessing these informations.

The issue for me, and I hope for Tesla in the future, is Right to Repair. I believe there is already one state that has put into law the obligation of the manufacturer to provide sufficient information to allow independent service shops and owners to service their vehicles. So, if someone from Mass (at least I think its Massachutets) wants to push the point we may all get access to at least the service side of things.

What I hope Tesla does not do is take the normal tech company approach of you should be happy we let you use our stuff and do not ask questions (I'm thinking Apple here). Tesla has valid concerns and these need to be addressed but I own this car and I want to be able to work on it.

Before anyone here thinks I am being unreasonable, I have the full 8 year on site service plan in place. I also made changes to the rear suspension and need to verify and may even need to calibrate the ride height. For MB air suspension I would normally grab Star Diagnostics and run through the ride height calibration routine. Tesla does not have a separate application for this and will not provide me with access or documentation to do it myself. However, in typical Tesla fashion they asked me to bring it in and I could work with them to check and calibrate the ride height if needed (as part of my service plan even though Tesla is not responsible for the need for this service). I could not ask for more in the way of a supportive company to deal with but sooner or later the issue of access will have to be addressed and addressed in the owner's favor. It's just a question of if Tesla chooses to get out in front of this or is pulled into it kicking and screaming :)

What I hope Tesla does not do is take the normal tech company approach of you should be happy we let you use our stuff and do not ask questions (I'm thinking Apple here). Tesla has valid concerns and these need to be addressed but I own this car and I want to be able to work on it.

I completely agree with you.

As I've said before, I own the factory diagnostic tools and repair manuals for all the cars I own (and owned). That gives me full read and write access to all the computers in the car, and all the information needed for diagnostics and repair.

If Tesla does not want to sell the car to us, then I wish they would just come out and admit it. Then they can go further and build a proper service offering around it, something like a "Model S as a service" subscription. You pay, oh let's say $1300 per month for a loaded P85, and they take on the risk of ownership and take care of everything. If it breaks down, or needs service, or new tyres, or if the battery capacity deteriorates below some percentage (70%?), they come to your house or work and switch it out for another one. After 8 years, they come and switch it out for a new one, with all the latest hardware features and brand new battery. If you don't like the car after 3 months, you cancel your subscription, and they come pick up the car.

I would actually be very interested in an offering like this. But their current "you pay the full price up-front and take all the ownership risk, but you are not allowed to service or repair it, or know how it works" does not sit well with me.

Service Menu Screen Shots

I thought some of you may be interested in seeing whats behind the secret "Access Code". I searched the forums for anyone that may have already posted on this. I found some of the options/items in the service menu extremely interesting. Adaptive Cruise Control....Blind Spot Detection....Lane Departure Warning... Any thoughts?

photo-20 2.jpg
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Please Enter Access Code - Page 3

Hi everyone,

I know I do not have the right to post this, but I will anyway.

The screens behind this password are behind a password for a reason. These diagnostic screens contain information that is not meant to be public. These screens are accessible in the car to help our technicians help our customers. They contain information about the car and its systems.

I won't go into all the reasons why I would prefer these screens not be posted here, or anywhere else for that matter, but if anyone reading this owns or works at a business that has information that is not meant for public display, then they will understand my request. If you work at a company with a client list, you would prefer that your client list not be published on the web. If you use any type of proprietary software or hardware, you would prefer not to have the code published on the web. If you have a new technology that you are fighting very hard to bring to market, you'd prefer that all the workings behind your new technology not be published on the web.

I could go on and on, but I will not. I will simply say that what is behind this password is not meant for public display. It is there to allow us to help our customers as quickly and efficiently as possible, and I would respectfully ask that the screens and content of the screens not be posted openly anywhere.

Thanks for your consideration.

GeorgeB

There was some conjecture in the past, with others seeing the service menus, that the software is from a third-party that is used by other manufacturers, and the options are just generic for all the cars they support. That would explain the various features that are not available.

I doubt that's the case. No other car is quite like the MS, and it would seem more natural that this is all Tesla's software as many of these features and options are unique to Tesla (i.e. who else has the wheel color and size as a configurable option)!

There appear many other tabs, apps and sections. Too bad we don't have photos for them too.

Oddly the parking assist (to be available in Europe) isn't on the list.

I'll leave it up to the TMC community and administrators to decide. Let's keep in mind that these menu items are not breathtaking innovations. No secrets here. If anything, a vehicle at this price point and a resale value greater than a Lexus, Audi, BMW, and/or Mercedes should have these type of features. These shots were selective, other images have purposely not been shared. Rules for this forum have been followed.

Thanks