Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Enter Access Code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Robert.Boston
Right you are. I'm interested in the effort that is starting to gain some traction. That effort is designed to provide access to repair information.

For me, the same logic that says dealers do not have standing to stop Tesla from selling product applies equally to Tesla's responsibility to provide access even though they do not have franchised dealers. It would seem unfair to ask for relief in one case and protection in the next.

Ideally, Tesla would get out in front of this and provide access while protecting the proprietary elements that should be protected. My fear is that there are soooooo many other things on Tesla's plate that this issue will not make the conversation.

I thought some of you may be interested in seeing whats behind the secret "Access Code". I searched the forums for anyone that may have already posted on this. I found some of the options/items in the service menu extremely interesting. Adaptive Cruise Control....Blind Spot Detection....Lane Departure Warning... Any thoughts?

View attachment 21500View attachment 21501View attachment 21502

Your picture was just 'lifted' by Engadget:

Bloomberg: Tesla's Elon Musk discussing self-driving car partnership with Google

(Or, more accurately, a lift of a youtube lift)

Sorry to try and revive a "dead thread".
YouTube put the video in question in a "recommended" queue for me and after watching it I searched the forum.
Looks like the features on this hidden menu have been discussed BEFORE the parking sensors were added as an option.

Bottom Line: Given that MS are now being built with those parking sensors installed and my limited knowledge of the sensor technology itself, how likely is it that the sensors CURRENTLY being installed could also be software-enabled to serve the additional functions of "Adaptive cruise control, Blind spot sensor, and Lane departure warning"?

I was thinking it wouldn't be all that hard to set something up with an arduino.. I was going to do it on my jetta TDI but I think the MS would be easier and more fun. Plus having the regen braking would make things even easier since applying the friction brakes would be a bit of a chore.

Back on topic, does this menu system still exist? Any hints on where to search for finding the access codes?

I was thinking it wouldn't be all that hard to set something up with an arduino.. I was going to do it on my jetta TDI but I think the MS would be easier and more fun. Plus having the regen braking would make things even easier since applying the friction brakes would be a bit of a chore.

Back on topic, does this menu system still exist? Any hints on where to search for finding the access codes?

Even the service centers don't have access to these access codes anymore, so I think it would be VERY difficult to find...

Even the service centers don't have access to these access codes anymore, so I think it would be VERY difficult to find...
Not completely true I guess.

When picking up my Model S in Tilburg they showed me the service menu (asked me to look the other way when accessing the code).

He told me that it's now also GPS restricted, so it will only work in certain "boxes" on this planet. So even if we have the code, you'd have to drive to the service center and play with it there.

Not completely true I guess.

When picking up my Model S in Tilburg they showed me the service menu (asked me to look the other way when accessing the code).

He told me that it's now also GPS restricted, so it will only work in certain "boxes" on this planet. So even if we have the code, you'd have to drive to the service center and play with it there.

Oops, I guess this is an evolving security protocol. :)

Tesla should just release an SDK so we can start to play with some of this while still being sanctioned by them. :)

What's so sensitive about the info on the diagnostic screens? From what I gather it basically allows you to change certain settings (ie car color, pano roof, etc.) and view real time data (battery schematic, TPMS, drive train components). Frankly, I don't see the harm in letting owners access any of this info. There is no way the battery schematic is proprietary - it just shows coolant flows. Plus, if another manufacturer really wanted to, they could just buy a Tesla and reverse engineer the battery pack. But that's why Tesla has patents. Why is Tesla so adamant about protecting access to these screens? Just curious.

What's so sensitive about the info on the diagnostic screens? From what I gather it basically allows you to change certain settings (ie car color, pano roof, etc.) and view real time data (battery schematic, TPMS, drive train components). Frankly, I don't see the harm in letting owners access any of this info. There is no way the battery schematic is proprietary - it just shows coolant flows. Plus, if another manufacturer really wanted to, they could just buy a Tesla and reverse engineer the battery pack. But that's why Tesla has patents. Why is Tesla so adamant about protecting access to these screens? Just curious.
You can mess with certain settings, disable stability control for example. I can totally see why Tesla doesn't let owners in while the car is under warranty, but once the warranty expires, I can't see how they could keep you out.

If the hidden service menu allows you to modify the stability control settings as well as any speed limiters, then Tesla is justified in keeping this menu hidden and buried. Someone could kill themselves or seriously compromise their safety by changing some of these settings.

I got a chance to talk with a veteran (2.5 years) tesla technician today.... He brought my car to my office and I gave him a ride back. I asked him about the service menu and he said they (the service centers) no longer know the access code. He said they changed the code a few times but after 5 or 6 codes they stopped giving it to the service center techs. It is just for engineering now.

Kinda a bummer, it's not likely we'll get it, and if we do it is likely that they could change it on a moments notice.

If the hidden service menu allows you to modify the stability control settings as well as any speed limiters, then Tesla is justified in keeping this menu hidden and buried. Someone could kill themselves or seriously compromise their safety by changing some of these settings.
To be fair, most manufacturers put a button to fully disable stability control right on the dashboard, so the ability to turn it off isn't exactly going to cause people to kill themselves in it otherwise I'd be dead long ago.

have you plugged into that connection and tried to get any info? What type of connector is it?
Curious about this also.

I'll pay more attention to the actual hardwire connection next time. I just remember it was Cat5 from the laptop to a simple connector in the car. You can pull the left side dash panel off (the one showing when you open the driver's door) and take a lookiesee if you're in a hurry.

I'll pay more attention to the actual hardwire connection next time. I just remember it was Cat5 from the laptop to a simple connector in the car. You can pull the left side dash panel off (the one showing when you open the driver's door) and take a lookiesee if you're in a hurry.

It will likely be a coax cable with an amphenol connector. Most automotive ethernet is that way.