Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help I just bought a Roadster on Ebay and he say's its' a sports model, but not sure.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm...So there's no way a 2008 model could have a sports motor with 288hp?
it wouldn't have come with a Sport motor. Nor Sport PEM.
They changed the design of both starting with the 2.0s (VIN 501+), and I don't think anyone has ever put a 2.x motor + 2.x PEM into a 1.5 chassis.

Also, the HP numbers are a bit "squishy" (reported different ways different places.) The Sport package (both PEM & Motor sold as a set) offered more low end torque in a certain rev range, but not necessarily more max HP.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Some more pictures of #394:
P0394-5YJRE11B081000394-salvage3.jpg

P0394-5YJRE11B081000394-salvage9.jpg

( Key fob tag says "Dan Phillips '09 Tesla Roadster 9/15/11 Total Tow-..." )

Some 2008 Model year Roadsters were delivered in 2009...

Who, oddly enough, still hasn't owned one. Someday we may have to put our collective feet down and insist that he buy one in order to continue in that "official" position! :)
As long as he has the in-depth knowledge that he provides, i vote that he keeps that title. Though perhaps we all need to put our collective pocketbooks down and help him towards ownership. Or, we just loan him a Roadster from time to time (which some have done). Admittedly, I no longer have mine (still pretty much in denial over that), so I have no Roadster to loan out.

:)

Reactions: dhrivnak
...perhaps we all need to put our collective pocketbooks down and help him towards ownership...

Talk is cheap ! ;)

Or, we just loan him a Roadster from time to time (which some have done)...

Would again offer thanks to those people who loaned me theirs! (They were collectors who own multiple...)

The VIN 5YJRE11B081000394 doesn't show up in NICB total loss now. Did the record get changed?
Hmm... I checked some of those other VINs and they didn't come up either. I guess maybe they purge them after 5 years...
...The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) has access to a database of vehicles which were reported as stolen within the past five years and remain unrecovered or declared as salvage...

• Informative
Reactions: wiztecy
I guess I'm pretty stoked I'm going to Vegas this Friday to pick it up then drive it back to CA on Saturday. I paid 30,600 which is pretty cheap and I guess it's always been maintained but the batteries have never been changed and it has 43,000 miles on it so I'm not sure how much longer that will last and I hear it'll cost me 12,000 to replace them. I'm not sure what other options there are but I'm always up for suggestion from you guys. =) Here is the ad on Ebay check it out.
2008 Tesla Roadster Base Convertible 2-Door | eBay
I think $30.6K may be the lowest reported price paid for a running / working Roadster so even if it has a big repair history and misleading description it still may be a great deal.

I have tried talking to Dr Jonathan Sorelle about this car VIN 5YJRE11B081000394.

What a nightmare. Either he is a raging angry alcoholic or English is his 3rd language....or both! Getting actual information was like prying teeth.

It is a salvage title...and the full charge range is only 110 according to him. I asked to get info on the maintenance to which he replied that he would provide them if I sent a check. After being hung up on and yelled at I threw in the towel.

Anybody looking at this car beware!