Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pleather for all...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of.
Actually the cow breaks the whole plant down to its constituent atoms, the rebuilds new proteins according to its DNA.
Each group of three DNA letters makes one amino acid, which are threaded together sequentially and folded as they go to form each protein in the cow (or human).

I thought proteins were broken down to their constituent amino acids, and not to the the atomic level? Plant proteins are not as useful (to humans) as animal proteins because amino acid ratios in plants are further away than more closely related animals.

Before I get into any replies... When I was in the Tesla store last week the ownership advisor told me that the Ultra white seats are NOT vegan. The glues they use in the vehicle do not meet vegan standards. Because of that, I just double-checked their website, and Tesla is not marketing any of the interiors as vegan from what I can tell. Am I missing anything?

So, does that mean you could use a leather conditioner on them with no bad effects if you weren't told?

Depends on the cleaner or conditioner... NEVER use Armor All on ANYTHING.... From there, it just depends on what you're putting on your material. Most manufacturers recommend SOAP and WATER. You'd be shocked how well that works on synthetic leather... better than any cleaner on the market.

Thanks to Ahkahn for posts above, especially 58 & 62.

You're welcome!

ahkahn, do you know what the color codes for the other new Ultraleather seat options are?

I don't even know whether or not the new seats ARE actually Ultreleather. I only know for sure that the Ultra White seats are, since that's what I have in my car. I was at the Tesla store last week and looked at their existing offering, and those were all standard vinyl with a leather insert match. No idea what the new stuff is.

For some reason "Naugahyde" came to mind. My parents had a sofa made of that stuff.

I always wondered "what the hell is a nauga?"

A Nauga is a little creature that willingly sheds his hide. They're happy to do this as their hide grows back. Actually, Naugahyde is still around, and is the ONLY domestically produced vinyl left in this country. Made in Stoughton, WI. My company is the second oldest distributor of Naugahyde... dates back to the 1940's or so.
eames_nauga.jpg

Nah, it just needs a good marketing name like "alcantara". That stuff is seen as premium even though it is not an actual suede product.

Alcantara (domestically marketed as Ultrasuede) is a premium product. One would have to be nuts to use REAL suede on anything since it stains just by looking at it (or by dropping water on it).

I made a set of theater seating style recliners a few years ago with top grain European leather and each hide was about $250.

That is a great price. You did well.

i was curious about the environmental impact of synthetic.. because that will be the first place detractors look at looking at the total carbon footprint of the car. then i decided to look at your link and saw this:

This is a loaded topic. The PVC manufacturers suggest that the PU manufacturing process has a LOT of dirty byproducts that are extremely harmful to the environment. The PVC manufacturers also say that their product is 100% recyclable, and contain NO harmful byproducts. The PU manufacturers say that the PVC manufacturers have a lot of unsavory chemicals within the vinyl. And... if you think all of that is bad, the leather tanneries are a totally different topic. Think about that wonderful fresh leather smell... ever smell roadkill that smells like that? Hint: It's the chemicals.

I have the ultra white interior and have to say I love it. I also have a similar synthetic leather material in my yacht and it holds up so much better than leather. Fashion, advertising and media have programmed us to think leather = best quality but i hope people open their minds to these newer materials and put aside what we are told and forget what people might think of us. Synthetic feels great, looks nice and wears well. What else do we need?

Spot on. I buy and sell leather all day every day, and I would personally never use it on anything of mine. I'd use Ultraleather all day every day on my stuff. I've also used PVC (traditional vinyl) a number of times on my own stuff.

Last edited:
Before I get into any replies... When I was in the Tesla store last week the ownership advisor told me that the Ultra white seats are NOT vegan. The glues they use in the vehicle do not meet vegan standards. Because of that, I just double-checked their website, and Tesla is not marketing any of the interiors as vegan from what I can tell. Am I missing anything?

Depends on the cleaner or conditioner... NEVER use Armor All on ANYTHING.... From there, it just depends on what you're putting on your material. Most manufacturers recommend SOAP and WATER. You'd be shocked how well that works on synthetic leather... better than any cleaner on the market.

You're welcome!

I don't even know whether or not the new seats ARE actually Ultreleather. I only know for sure that the Ultra White seats are, since that's what I have in my car. I was at the Tesla store last week and looked at their existing offering, and those were all standard vinyl with a leather insert match. No idea what the new stuff is.

A Nauga is a little creature that willingly sheds his hide. They're happy to do this as their hide grows back. Actually, Naugahyde is still around, and is the ONLY domestically produced vinyl left in this country. Made in Stoughton, WI. My company is the second oldest distributor of Naugahyde... dates back to the 1940's or so.
eames_nauga.jpg

Alcantara (domestically marketed as Ultrasuede) is a premium product. One would have to be nuts to use REAL suede on anything since it stains just by looking at it (or by dropping water on it).

That is a great price. You did well.

This is a loaded topic. The PVC manufacturers suggest that the PU manufacturing process has a LOT of dirty byproducts that are extremely harmful to the environment. The PVC manufacturers also say that their product is 100% recyclable, and contain NO harmful byproducts. The PU manufacturers say that the PVC manufacturers have a lot of unsavory chemicals within the vinyl. And... if you think all of that is bad, the leather tanneries are a totally different topic. Think about that wonderful fresh leather smell... ever smell roadkill that smells like that? Hint: It's the chemicals.

Spot on. I buy and sell leather all day every day, and I would personally never use it on anything of mine. I'd use Ultraleather all day every day on my stuff. I've also used PVC (traditional vinyl) a number of times on my own stuff.
While Alcantara and Ultrasede are technically made by the same company, the are not the same product.

While Alcantara and Ultrasede are technically made by the same company, the are not the same product.

Yeah, I wasn't very clear. They're very similar products, but not exact. Same manufacturer (Toray) but two different manufacturing plants (Japan and Italy, I believe). I do not distribute Ultrasuede or Alcantara, but I am a distributor of Ultraleather (different manufacturer). I am very familiar with both... that said, I've never compared both side by side.

When it was in my local store last weekend, the sales rep specifically said that the vegan option was still a special order, even with the new material

That very well may be a special order option... My guy said the stock option is not vegan, and their website seems to echo that.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Yeah, I wasn't very clear. They're very similar products, but not exact. Same manufacturer (Toray) but two different manufacturing plants (Japan and Italy, I believe). I do not distribute Ultrasuede or Alcantara, but I am a distributor of Ultraleather (different manufacturer). I am very familiar with both... that said, I've never compared both side by side.
Ultrasuede is more velvet like and softer than Alcantara. I also know that Alcantara come in two different weights, one for panels and one for sewing. I don't know if Ultrasuede is manufacturere like that also.

I dunno, I think the synthetic ultra white seats are nicer than Tesla's leather offerings and may be more durable (probably not difficult, given how poorly Tesla's leather wears). So, this may be a move in the right direction--some modern synthetic materials are amazing. The trick, as seen in this and other similar threads, will be talking people down from their knee-jerk expectations and getting them to experience the product. As with many things Tesla, this doesn't have to be about environmentalism: a better product is a better product.
Totally agree. My wife just upgraded to a car with the Ultra White seats, and they are a much softer material.

I don't know if you are pro leather or pro Pleather
I happen to have the the grey leather in the S and it's the softest leather I have had in a car and I have had an expensive taste in cars from England and Italy.

We took delivery about the same time with the grey leather in our S90s. Mine is holding up well, despite other complaints, and I love it. But, I also have the ultra white stuff (pleather, vegan leather, synthetic oil plasticky molded goop whatever) in the X. It is much softer and I am skeptical it will be as durable only because it is so soft. I hope I am proven wrong.

No one has snubbed it as not being leather, but everyone is curious. I tell them its space age material being tested for future missions and move on. They just keep patting it like a puppy. So far, so good but I don't see me wearing this stuff.

I'd imagine the other barrier for a vegan interior is that the steering wheel is still wrapped in leather. That would certainly make a vegan interior into a special order item.

It's exciting to see a company trying a new material. Just because leather was the best material available for a long time, it naturally became associated with luxury. If all these colors can hold up as well as the white seems to, I know I'd be convinced that it's a more luxurious material than leather. MB-Tex has been very good to me in the past, and better than MB leather, so I'd believe it.

Reactions: ahkahn
What a joke. If you happen to not eat meat or feel no harm should come to animals I respect your opinion and you should have the choice to minimize your impact on animal life on earth. I happen to not share that opinion, and a six figure car with fake leather will only make Tesla loose more sales.

Yes, you should be allowed to rape the planet if that's your preference--why leave a usable planet for future generations? Furthermore, if your worldview involves rape, torture, and unspeaking violence, who are we to step in and say something?

Seriously, I hate to burst your bubble, but your parents, and mine, lied. They lied to all of us. It's time to get informed about the facts of leather:

http://gizmodo.com/how-leather-is-slowly-killing-the-people-and-places-tha-1572678618

Facts and Sources

14 Things the Leather Industry Doesn't Want You to See

And, saving the best for last:

TEDxMünchen - Beyond Carnism and toward Rational, Authentic Food Choices | Melanie Joy at TEDxMünchen "At Second Glance"

@ahkahn,

Thank you for bring factual, informative information to this thread. I'll be looking at a new Model S when my lease is over next April, and I was a bit concerned with all the recent changes. Your posts have let me know that I'll be very happy with the new seating material.

+1. All the fervent opinions weren't helping me to decide between the current choices.

Reactions: ahkahn
I thought proteins were broken down to their constituent amino acids, and not to the the atomic level? Plant proteins are not as useful (to humans) as animal proteins because amino acid ratios in plants are further away than more closely related animals.
Sorry, you are quite right. At the DNA level, the proteins are formed using pre-built amino acids.
Some of those AAs can be self-synthesized from their constituent atoms in other cellular processes further upstream, but some can't and must be eaten.
Too long since my genetics degree!

Reactions: mblakele
Status
Not open for further replies.