Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar Superbowl ad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd hazard a guess that building awareness of the Polestar brand and getting it into more people's consideration set was the point of the ad.

I look forward to more competition and viable alternatives in the EV market.
The mere fact that it has spread through the tesla community for free is one of the marketers objectives met. The master of that is Elon Musk and his tesla team, who managed global penetration without ads. It cost them with referral credits (many not yet paid for with roadster2) but word of mouth referrals are incredibly powerful.
I agree more competition is nothing but positive.

Reactions: Maximillan
I've had six wagons, and I thought I might find the boot space to be a deal-breaker
fortunately it isn't - it has enough space for my routine stuff and I have a roof box for other uses
The issue isnt the boot volume, which is ample. Its that I cannot get the stuff I need to put in it through the tiny opening. I suspect thats why model Y is likely going to outsell 3 when it arrives

Reactions: schnaxxl
The price point is also an issue IMO. Mrs Leeroy and I both liked the look of it and the starting price at $61k is within budget, but the pilot option is a must to make it a fair comparison to an SR+. After that’s added it’s still missing a glass roof, an autopilot that’s at least on par with tesla or with any upgrade potential, the wireless charging and then the supercharger network (if you consider it necessary.)
It ends up being an M3 minus stuff which for a $65k car isn’t good enough.

Seeing the M3 is becoming a 5-7 month wait, it may give time for ORA to setup camp down here. That’s what we will look at next. Yes it will be missing all the things above and more, but it might give polestar a wake up if it’s in the $40k or even 50k range.

Reactions: Maximillan
BMW had my X3 suv for 3 months and still couldnt fix it. Handed the lemon back to me unrepaired. But that no reason to suggest polestar cannot fix its cars.
You read here stories of Tesla phantom braking etc...but try getting a Volvo adaptive cruise control fixed...but it will still cost you thousands....I wouldn’t touch a Polestar with a pole axe....but I have no (recent) personal experience with any other brand..

Also depends on the EV enthusiasm of the dealer

Absolutely. When we bought our Nissan Leaf in 2014, I think there were fewer than 1000 BEVs on Australian roads at the time. The salesman we had at Nissan was clearly invested in the technology and I got the impression his work colleagues thought him to be a bit of an oddball and/or a joke. Many people would find such an environment dispiriting and pull their neck in to not rock the boat. But not him.

So the sale was due to him and him alone - I suspect any other dealer we could have gone to would have done everything they could to convince us to not buy one.

And if we hadn’t have done that then, I’m not sure I would be driving a Tesla now.