Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police Palaver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is hilarious. I am really enjoying the "tesla badge" is the reason for the stop part, the Officer saw his signal and quickly accelerated, and @SlimJim you mighttttt just be a bit anti L.E. Kinda hard to take your comments seriously, but they are funny. You guys watch MSNBC too much. Cops don't sit around their entire shift plotting what kind of devious tricks they can pull on the unsuspecting public. If you think that you are seriously strange.

I would love to see the dash cam. I would take a large bet that the interaction also included the OP trying to lecture the cop on the Autopilot and that it couldn't have done it, and how advanced the car was, and she was wrong, and she was speeding, and etc etc...People's mouths talk them into tickets all the time and their version to their friends and family NEVER looks like what the dashcam shows. That's always amused me. People refuse to take responsibility for their driving. Like the OP obviously cutting off the cop here. The cops speed is irrelevant, she had lane possession and its his responsibility to enter it when safe.

And no one, including me, knows if the cop was speeding up to respond to another call, or even trying to catch up to a driver in front of the OP for a speed related stop.

Cops don't sit around their entire shift plotting what kind of devious tricks they can pull on the unsuspecting public.

You may be right. Then again, from personal experience and from anecdotes from clients who at one time in their lives were police officers, you may be wrong.

It has been explained to me that there are frequent periods when on duty patrol officers get bored, especially late on the swing shift or on graveyard. It has further been explained to me that many jurisdictions require patrol officers who normally respond to calls for possible criminal behavior are told to write a few traffic citations per week even though that is not their primary duty. One way to alleviate boredom and to comply with the watch commander's order to write a few cites is to be on the lookout for traffic violations that may lead to more serious charges like DUI or possession of unlawful substances.

From personal experience: I was driving home on a back road around 10:00 one night with cruise control in my ICE (this was 2005-6) pegged at 56 MPH in a 55. I had not been drinking. From out of the blue a car speeds up behind me and tailgates. I slowly speed up to 60, and the car is still on my ass. I then slow down to 50 to allow the car to pass me more safely. Still on my tail. I then speed slowly up to 61 and presto! the lights come on. I said nothing to the officers, signed my promise to appear, and went on my not-so-merry way.

At trial (I did not hire a lawyer), after the officer testified that he was parked on a side road and clocked me whizzing by at 66/55, he pulled out and noticed that I slowed down to 63 when I saw his headlights behind me. He pulled me over and wrote me up for 61. Upon cross-examination I provided my video camera of my speedometer (once I saw what was happening I started recording) slowly increasing, then decreasing, then increasing my speed. I showed it to the judge and the officer, and the cop turned beet red.

The judge then asked to clear the court room. Fifteen minutes later, we were permitted to return. The officer was nowhere to be found in the courtroom. The judge apologized for the officer's perjury, and dismissed my citation. As I left, I spoke to the bailiff, part of the sheriff's department. He said that when he was part of that other agency, he learned from his training officer and fellow veterans a couple of tricks to write up otherwise law-abiding drivers for moving violations. He further said that my case was not the first of its type when he was acting as bailiff. He then said that the cop was sitting in a holding cell stripped of his badge and gun belt awaiting his captain to retrieve him.

What was particularly galling was that about one year later, I asked the department if that officer who played games and perjured himself was still employed as a peace officer. He was. So, if a cop can commit perjury, why is he permitted to keep his job as a sworn peace officer?

You may be right. Then again, from personal experience and from anecdotes from clients who at one time in their lives were police officers, you may be wrong.

It has been explained to me that there are frequent periods when on duty patrol officers get bored, especially late on the swing shift or on graveyard. It has further been explained to me that many jurisdictions require patrol officers who normally respond to calls for possible criminal behavior are told to write a few traffic citations per week even though that is not their primary duty. One way to alleviate boredom and to comply with the watch commander's order to write a few cites is to be on the lookout for traffic violations that may lead to more serious charges like DUI or possession of unlawful substances.

From personal experience: I was driving home on a back road around 10:00 one night with cruise control in my ICE (this was 2005-6) pegged at 56 MPH in a 55. I had not been drinking. From out of the blue a car speeds up behind me and tailgates. I slowly speed up to 60, and the car is still on my ass. I then slow down to 50 to allow the car to pass me more safely. Still on my tail. I then speed slowly up to 61 and presto! the lights come on. I said nothing to the officers, signed my promise to appear, and went on my not-so-merry way.

At trial (I did not hire a lawyer), after the officer testified that he was parked on a side road and clocked me whizzing by at 66/55, he pulled out and noticed that I slowed down to 63 when I saw his headlights behind me. He pulled me over and wrote me up for 61. Upon cross-examination I provided my video camera of my speedometer (once I saw what was happening I started recording) slowly increasing, then decreasing, then increasing my speed. I showed it to the judge and the officer, and the cop turned beet red.

The judge then asked to clear the court room. Fifteen minutes later, we were permitted to return. The officer was nowhere to be found in the courtroom. The judge apologized for the officer's perjury, and dismissed my citation. As I left, I spoke to the bailiff, part of the sheriff's department. He said that when he was part of that other agency, he learned from his training officer and fellow veterans a couple of tricks to write up otherwise law-abiding drivers for moving violations. He further said that my case was not the first of its type when he was acting as bailiff. He then said that the cop was sitting in a holding cell stripped of his badge and gun belt awaiting his captain to retrieve him.

What was particularly galling was that about one year later, I asked the department if that officer who played games and perjured himself was still employed as a peace officer. He was. So, if a cop can commit perjury, why is he permitted to keep his job as a sworn peace officer?
That cop is just rotten.

That cop is just rotten.

No argument, Slim. But to hear that they are unofficially trained in these ways and that they can keep their jobs despite being liars under oath points to the culture of many individuals who wear the badge.

No doubt officers like these are a minority. But they are a cancer that metastasizes within the departments they work for.

Riggggggght. Cool story bro. (rolling eyes).

No, i'm saying that cops will look for whatever they consider abnormal behavior and then find a reason to pull you over and investigate further - especially on 4th of July. Also not saying that it's right, but it seems to be reality in my experience.

Ummmm, isnt that their job ? Shouldnt you say thanks for actually being out looking for DUI's on the road ? Oh, I forgot, its 2020, every single minuscule thing cops do is malicious and wrong and we should complain and get them fired. And ya wonder why Ferguson and Chicago are the way they are. Cops have blinders on now.

Ummmm, isnt that their job ? Shouldnt you say thanks for actually being out looking for DUI's on the road ? Oh, I forgot, its 2020, every single minuscule thing cops do is malicious and wrong and we should complain and get them fired. And ya wonder why Ferguson and Chicago are the way they are. Cops have blinders on now.
If he thanked the cop for all that she does, she would have been more furious because it would have sounded sarcastic no matter how sincerely he tries.

No argument, Slim. But to hear that they are unofficially trained in these ways and that they can keep their jobs despite being liars under oath points to the culture of many individuals who wear the badge.

No doubt officers like these are a minority. But they are a cancer that metastasizes within the departments they work for.

they are not a minority. have you not been paying attention the last few months?

and there is actually a term for when a cop lies under oath: testa-lying

they are scum, almost all of them. they stand up for each other and that makes them all bad.

defund the lot of them and restart from scratch.

I would blame NOA for this whole fiasco.
The cop here is not completely unreasonable or unusual. I know a guy who got pulled over and got a ticket for going 5mph over the speed limit. Guess what? He passed the police car. LOL. Do not challenge cops' authority or hurt their ego.

I find it absolutely maddening how most drivers react around a cop. They suddenly go from driving 15 miles an hour over the speed limit to exactly the speed limit, and their lane keeping improves immensely.

Where I on the other hand ignore the cop. Sure I'm aware of his existence, but I try to combat my natural instinct to slow down. It's like a game where I know there is a non-zero chance that I'll get pulled over.

I've had my mom screaming at me when I passed a cop. Where she was swearing up, and down that I was just asking for it. I was only going 5 over the speed limit or so.

Pretty routinely I see a cop with a radar gun on the side of a freeway, and I don't bother slowing down. To do so means I'd have to move my foot to the brake, and that would simply take too much effort to bother with. Plus I was probably too late anyways. For 20+ years I've been a steadfast believer in doing +10 over on freeway, and +5 over on city streets. Now that's only in Western WA, and it's not applicable to elsewhere. I've very aware of regional differences.

In that 20+ years I've never been pulled over for that behavior. Instead I've been pulled over for things like "display of speed" where I accelerated hard with a cop behind me (I didn't recognize the SUV as a cop vehicle). Or passing a crazy lazy doing 20 under the speed limit in a no-passing zone. Stuff like that. Nothing in recent memory since I've calmed down considerably over the years. Plus TACC/AP makes me too lazy to bother getting angry. I'm the "oh, well" kind of driver now.

The cop is not a civilian. Cops have authority. And that makes them use it or abuse it sometimes.

That's BS. Having authority doesn't "make" a cop abuse it. It's an individuals cop's discretion whether to abuse it or not. And when they chose to abuse it, they have become the lawbreaker, not the citizen which actually appeared to be driving in a very acceptable manner at all times.[/QUOTE]

You guys watch MSNBC too much. Cops don't sit around their entire shift plotting what kind of devious tricks they can pull on the unsuspecting public. If you think that you are seriously strange.

Cops do not behave like a monolithic block. They are humans and have emotions and make mistakes.

It is ridiculous to the extreme to claim that one of them would never take out personal problems on an innocent person. It happens EVERY SINGLE DAY.

they are not a minority. have you not been paying attention the last few months?

and there is actually a term for when a cop lies under oath: testa-lying

they are scum, almost all of them. they stand up for each other and that makes them all bad.

defund the lot of them and restart from scratch.
Oh Jesus. Here we go.

I'm kind of curious your opinion on Doctors. They routinely stand up for each other and have mock hearings where no one is ever found responsible for their acts. They have to have continual and egregious behavior before anything happens to them, and they kill 98,000 patient a year. Shall we defund them ? I'll bet you are ok with that.

Last edited:
After looking at the video, you seriously think OP's driving warranted being pulled over for reckless driving?
Absolutely not. Thats a ridiculous citation and leads me to believe we are missing part of this story. The actual interaction between the OP and the cop. There is more that we dont know to justify that kind of ticket. At the most it was improper lane change, not reckless.

Normally the cop (or any car in that lane) would have the right of away and you can not change lanes in front of them without a safe distance between the cars. However, if a car is exceeding the speed limit (cop in this case) they give up their right of way.

Since you were going the posted speed limit, any car gaining or passing you would be speeding.

Legally, if you are driving the speed limit you should not expect another car to pass you. (In reality this is not the case.)

It is illegal to speed and speeders are always the at fault driver. No exceptions for police unless responding to any emergency.

Thats how it is in Michigan.
Cite the law that says speeding gives up the right of way to lane possession.
You literally made that up to validate your opinion.

I would blame NOA for this whole fiasco.
The cop here is not completely unreasonable or unusual. I know a guy who got pulled over and got a ticket for going 5mph over the speed limit. Guess what? He passed the police car. LOL. Do not challenge cops' authority or hurt their ego.

this is why people are taking to the streets to protest.

its much much bigger than race or even R vs D.

its all about an out-of-control gang in blue that can end your life ... and usually get away with it with 'vacation pay'.

the juries are typically filled with people you don't want - they are not the sharpest tools in the shed and its hard to find people who can think for themselves; they all have been brainwashed to believe 'guy in blue does not lie or do bad things' when in fact, that's their daily routine! ;(

when its their word against yours, you almost always lose.

the balance of power is out of alignment and has been for decades, now.

THIS is why the american people - mostly younger ones who have not fully been brainwashed yet - are protesting police violence, police escalations and police covering for each other; again, we saw this hundreds of times over the last month where the cops show up in riot gear and clearly enjoy being in the middle of busting heads.

cops have lost all respect in this country. they have a long long road ahead if they want to rebuild confidence with the american people.

de-fund them all. its so bad it really does need to be fully torn down and rebuilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.