Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police Palaver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it gets torn down and rebuilt, there will again be bad eggs.

disagree. redesign it with what we now know about human nature and we CAN do a far better job.

I am not quite in the 'give up' group, as so many are. I see a good opportunity to fix things that have been broken for a long time.

those that like it as-is, I think you are either disconnected from reality or you have that infamous white privilege that gives you a feeling of insulation from the reality that many face.

most people realize that giving unchecked power to C students (lets be honest) is not the most optimal solution we can achieve. we can do better. and we should.

bootlickers need not reply; put me on ignore and save us both the hassle.

Absolutely not. Thats a ridiculous citation and leads me to believe we are missing part of this story. The actual interaction between the OP and the cop. There is more that we dont know to justify that kind of ticket. At the most it was improper lane change, not reckless.

I'm more inclined to believe his interaction is irrelevant and since he didn't commit a crime he shouldn't be cited for one.

What other crimes do you think cops should be able to make up if you talk to them in a way they don't like?

Plot twist: OP catches COVID19.

this would be my biggest concern and I'm a bit underwhelmed by the lack of support for the OP, on this subject matter.

this is ASSAULT. when there is a known, life-threatening (latent though it may be) disease and one that can be transmitted simply by some person putting his face too close to yours, forcing the issue, and keeping it that way to extended periods of time - that's ASSAULT. plain and simple.

I'd go after them for that. precedent needs to be set.

no one should be allowed to risk another person's LIFE like that.

and again, this is why qualified immunity needs to be eliminated.

a cop has way too much control, when there is even 'just' a traffic stop. if he happens to be a non-mask 'believer' and also is carrying the virus, he just put your life directly at risk.

take them to court for that. the rest is noise-level. you'll live thru traffic tickets. you may NOT live, or have reduced ability for the rest of your life, if covid was active during that traffic stop.

get tested immediately, just to be sure. talk to your lawyer.

for those who are not from the US or who have never heard of QI, here's a good read:

Colorado’s Progressive Governor and Legislature Just Ended Qualified Immunity for Police Officers

Last edited:
Not sure how to say this in a politically correct manner and certain do not mean to offend, but if you are a person of color I think you may well have a potential lawsuit . This sounds totally f'd up.

It may not sound fair that a white person may hesitate to consider racial discrimination as a defense strategy but a colored person can when pulled over by a white officer, but the statistics don't lie that it is totally fair and totally not screwed up at all:

Los Angeles investigating whether sheriff's deputies racially profiled Latino drivers

However, 55% or the majority of whites believe they are discriminated and victimized with the same facts above: The numbers show that whites are not as scrutinized as colored are so they might not have a case in claiming discrimination which makes that unfair and feeling that white people are being discriminated.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Type 5
redesign it with what we now know about human nature and we CAN do a far better job.

Exactly. I appreciate the logic is hard to accept if one's sociopolitical ideals are based on fear and anger, but that doesn't change reality of a nuke-and-pave LE scenario that could all but eliminate the 'bad eggs' and could significantly improve quality of the public service that defacto falls on LE. Perfect? Never. Better? By leaps and bounds.

It's very very wrong. How to correct that behavior, I don't know, but doctors protecting doctors makes me ill.

I come from a family of 4 doctors, but now that I take care of my 91-yr old mom, and have seen medical incompetence protected by the medical establishment, I feel sick.

Thats always surprised me. I wonder if the media picked up Doctor related deaths and reported on it ad nauseum 24/7 for months and months as much as they are dedicated to race bating...Would the sheep of society take up arms against negligent doctors. I always thought it would be a good experiment for the types that parrot everything they see and constantly fight for the perceived underdog in the fight despite being statistically wrong. I wonder if we could get that gullible 49% of society to try and fix Doctors killing people because they have no fear of anything happening to to them. Now that would be interesting to watch.

...Dealing with police...

The advice to treat police with respect is a good advice.

However, as a professional occupation, police should not use lethal force or legal retaliation (tickets) to demand respect.

In other professions, if I am rude to a baker, the baker may refuse to take my cake order but they certainly don't kill me on the spot or give me a ticket to appear in court.

That should be the same when a police officer is disrespected, the officer should walk away. There's no crime to stick around the scene.

But no! Most would call for back up and want to teach civilians a lesson and to demonstrate why civilians should fear the lethal force of the police.

That way, the police is even more powerful than the US President.

A person might be retaliated when disrespecting the President and lose a career but they are not killed right on the spot nor are they ticketed:

Cyclist fired for flipping off the president's motorcade ran for local office and won

The advice to treat police with respect is a good advice.

However, as a professional occupation, police should not use lethal force or legal retaliation (tickets) to demand respect.

In other professions, if I am rude to a baker, the baker may refuse to take my cake order but they certainly don't kill me on the spot or give me a ticket to appear in court.

That should be the same when a police officer is disrespected, the officer should walk away. There's no crime to stick around the scene.

But no! Most would call for back up and want to teach civilians a lesson and to demonstrate why civilians should fear the lethal force of the police.

That way, the police is even more powerful than the US President.

A person might be retaliated when disrespecting the President and lose a career but they are not killed right on the spot nor are they ticketed:

Cyclist fired for flipping off the president's motorcade ran for local office and won

I'm curious if you can cite examples, or provide links to cop shootings that they were talked to rudely and they then killed the motorist.

Every video ive seen involved two things, fighting them, or running from them. If I used logic, I would think that as long as I dont try to fight with them, or flee from the scene, nothing would happen. But I think for myself and not let a news anchor think for me. I'm just funny that way.

Not sure how to say this in a politically correct manner and certain do not mean to offend, but if you are a person of color I think you may well have a potential lawsuit . This sounds totally f'd up.
No, it is probably worse than that. OP may have told officer he is part of TLM (Tesla Lives Matter) and on the way to a rally. They hate that :D
Oh and what is that "Person of Color" thing that people use. We are all of some color or another :) No, don't answer that. Just intending to get a smile.

Last edited:
* If the Officer happens to be a jerk, don’t argue. Let your lawyer sort it out.

the phrase I've heard is:

"you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride"

the safe advice is to not fight (not even verbally) with the cop. fight the issue 'downtown' and not with just that one or two (or more) guys.

this is the safe advice. and I'm ashamed to say that about the country that is supposed to be a shining example to the rest of the world.

there are 2 well-known videos on youtube called 'dont talk to cops' parts 1 and 2. one part is by a lawyer and the other part is by a cop. in both parts, they describe the reality of a 'stop' and why you need to avoid interacting with cops in as many cases as you can. they give rational and real-world reasons. don't take my word for it, go find the video series (just 2 videos) and decide for yourself.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
NoAP often does not even give the basic two-seconds of signal prior to the change.

I think you're in the minority in observing that specific behavior.

Most of us including me have the opposite problem where unconfirmed lane changes have TOO much blinker time. If you look at the video the OP posted the blinker went on at about 1:10, and the car moved over at 1:15 which is more than double the time the blinker should be on for.

The other thing that bugs me about unconfirmed lane changes is it won't change lanes if it doesn't detect your hands at the wheel. So sometimes it's waiting for you to apply a little torque.

Basically NoA is going to either embarrass a driver or get them pulled over.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I'm curious if you can cite examples, or provide links to cop shootings that they were talked to rudely and they then killed the motorist.

Every video ive seen involved two things, fighting them, or running from them. If I used logic, I would think that as long as I dont try to fight with them, or flee from the scene, nothing would happen. But I think for myself and not let a news anchor think for me. I'm just funny that way.

Not a motorist, but look up the Daniel Shaver killing. Not one iota of running or fighting involved. I genuinely felt bad for that kid, as he literally begged for his life before being executed by a one man firing squad.

No offense to the OP above, but many people are soooo tired about EVERYTHING being about race. I’m not saying that unjust racial profiling doesn’t exist. ALL kinds of profiling exist! ... not just racial. I’d be willing to bet behavior plays a big factor in the result of many stops.

Chris Rock did a funny comedy sketch on the subject recently on YouTube.
I don’t want to post it here, but it’s pretty funny and worth looking up.

Last edited:
Not a motorist, but look up the Daniel Shaver killing. Not one iota of running or fighting involved. I genuinely felt bad for that kid, as he literally begged for his life before being executed by a one man firing squad.
Totally agreed. That was ridiculous. If he wouldnt have reached for his waistband after they repeatedly told him not to, he would be alive. But still a ridiculous shooting.

...examples, or provide links to cop shootings that they were talked to rudely and they then killed the motorist....

Elijah Mcclain was stopped, restrained with carotid hold (blocking blood circulation going to the head by a maneuver similar to choking hold but choking hold is about stopping the breathing, and this is about stopping the blood circulation) by the police with the cited crime as suspicion.

There's a 911 call of a suspicious person but the caller could not think of any what crime he was suspected of committing.

The caller confirmed that there's no weapons. There's no robbery. There's no crimes that the caller could think of. The caller thought suspicion was good enough and thought that it's the job of the police to catch first then fill in the reason for suspicion afterward.

Elijah was buying ice tea wearing a mask. No one could say that there was an attempt for robbery or fraudulent currency or any bad behaviors at that time.

The right way in this incidence is: If there were no crime that was able to be enumerated in the suspicion report, just walk away.

There's no need to command Elijah to stop then reported that he "resisted arrest" as the justification when the first initial reason for "arrest" for suspicion with absolutely no crimes thought of in mind.

As for rudeness, these are the last words from the suspect recorded by the police cam:

"I can’t breathe. I have my ID right here. My name is Elijah McClain. That’s my house. I was just going home. I’m an introvert. I’m just different. That’s all. I’m so sorry. I have no gun. I don’t do that stuff. I don’t do any fighting. Why are you attacking me? I don’t even kill flies! I don’t eat meat! But I don’t judge people, I don’t judge people who do eat meat. Forgive me. All I was trying to do was become better. I will do it. I will do anything. Sacrifice my identity, I’ll do it. You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful and I love you. Try to forgive me. I’m a mood Gemini. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. Ow, that really hurt. You are all very strong. Teamwork makes the dream work. Oh, I’m sorry I wasn’t trying to do that. I just can’t breathe correctly."

Are These Elijah McClain's Last Words on Police Video?

Another example is the arrest of the famous Harvard University Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr who was arrested at his own front porch AFTER he was cleared of being suspected for home invasion.

The police came to the professor's house due to a report from a bystander that the professor was the intruder.

The professor identified himself and gave all the paper proof that it's his house.

After he was clear of the suspected crime, the officer now had to deal with the fact that the professor started to question his authority by asking for the officer's name. badge, and how the officer would deal any differently if it was white or colored suspects...

There was no crime any more, it's just talks! The officer should have walked away and let the professor talk all he wants.

No!!!!! The officer then called for back up and arrested the professor for "loud and tumultuous behaviour".

White Privilege: What if Henry Louis Gates had been White?

Status
Not open for further replies.