Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police Palaver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agreed. That was ridiculous. If he wouldnt have reached for his waistband after they repeatedly told him not to, he would be alive. But still a ridiculous shooting.

Cops put their life on the line at EVERY STOP and on EVERY DAY. Regardless of race, police must always consider the possibility that the person could be dangerous.

ALWAYS show the officer your HANDS!
It is not complicated.

Totally agreed. That was ridiculous. If he wouldnt have reached for his waistband after they repeatedly told him not to, he would be alive. But still a ridiculous shooting.

From your sarcasm, its apparent that you haven't seen the footage. Anyone who read the "narrative" came up with your exact same conclusion. However, the actual body cam footage, complete with body language and sobbing, shows how pitifully he died.

Like I said, I felt genuinely sad for the kid after watching the footage. Six cops showed up guns drawn, including an AR-15, pointed at him. One cop barked inconsistent commands while threatening to end his life. Its clear he was getting a rise out of the power they held over that drunk, incoherent kid. Put yourself in that kids shoes and ask yourself, was his action of trying to pull up his shorts as the cop made him crawl on his hands and knees, ridiculous? And if he was such a threat, why did only one cop start shooting? The one with "You're F*cked" written on the side of his AR-15.

Reactions: Runt8 and bedoig
But Shaver pointed his rifle out the window at the hotel room.
What kind of scum does that?
He was not innocent.
He would have killed innocent people.
Let that sink in.

Can't tell if you're trolling or not.

Drunk kid, invites a couple of people over to his hotel room and shows off his vermin hunting air rifle. Someone see him from his window and alerts hotel desk who calls the cops.

From your sarcasm, its apparent that you haven't seen the footage. Anyone who read the "narrative" came up with your exact same conclusion. However, the actual body cam footage, complete with body language and sobbing, shows how pitifully he died.

Like I said, I felt genuinely sad for the kid after watching the footage. Six cops showed up guns drawn, including an AR-15, pointed at him. One cop barked inconsistent commands while threatening to end his life. Its clear he was getting a rise out of the power they held over that drunk, incoherent kid. Put yourself in that kids shoes and ask yourself, was his action of trying to pull up his shorts as the cop made him crawl on his hands and knees, ridiculous? And if he was such a threat, why did only one cop start shooting? The one with "You're F*cked" written on the side of his AR-15.
Why would I put myself in his shoes?
Don't get drunk and handle guns and point it out the window.
Even Saddam Hussein probably looked pitiful at his death.

• Disagree
Reactions: bedoig
Hard to un

Hard to understand tone over written word. Was not sarcasm. I saw the video as soon as it happened, I also heard it. I heard the cops words and they were far from inconsistent, they were conflicting with two of them trying to control the guy. One person talks and the others all shut up is the problem. But...The tone and obtuse use of words by the Officer (Langley) giving the commands was so far over the top I cant see past that. The dust cover on the rifle was macho bullshit that shouldnt have been on there at all. Totally unprofessional. Again...if he wouldnt have reached down for his waistband they would not have fired. Facts dont care about your emotions. Even more, if he had not been pointing a gun out of the window this also wouldnt have heppened. At no point in my life have I done or thought it was a good idea to point a gun out of a hotel room window. Hence me not laying prone in a hotel corridor with guns pointed at me.

• Disagree
Reactions: bedoig and SlimJim
Elijah Mcclain was stopped, restrained with carotid hold (blocking blood circulation going to the head by a maneuver similar to choking hold but choking hold is about stopping the breathing, and this is about stopping the blood circulation) by the police with the cited crime as suspicion.

There's a 911 call of a suspicious person but the caller could not think of any what crime he was suspected of committing.

The caller confirmed that there's no weapons. There's no robbery. There's no crimes that the caller could think of. The caller thought suspicion was good enough and thought that it's the job of the police to catch first then fill in the reason for suspicion afterward.

Elijah was buying ice tea wearing a mask. No one could say that there was an attempt for robbery or fraudulent currency or any bad behaviors at that time.

The right way in this incidence is: If there were no crime that was able to be enumerated in the suspicion report, just walk away.

There's no need to command Elijah to stop then reported that he "resisted arrest" as the justification when the first initial reason for "arrest" for suspicion with absolutely no crimes thought of in mind.

As for rudeness, these are the last words from the suspect recorded by the police cam:

"I can’t breathe. I have my ID right here. My name is Elijah McClain. That’s my house. I was just going home. I’m an introvert. I’m just different. That’s all. I’m so sorry. I have no gun. I don’t do that stuff. I don’t do any fighting. Why are you attacking me? I don’t even kill flies! I don’t eat meat! But I don’t judge people, I don’t judge people who do eat meat. Forgive me. All I was trying to do was become better. I will do it. I will do anything. Sacrifice my identity, I’ll do it. You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful and I love you. Try to forgive me. I’m a mood Gemini. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. Ow, that really hurt. You are all very strong. Teamwork makes the dream work. Oh, I’m sorry I wasn’t trying to do that. I just can’t breathe correctly."

Are These Elijah McClain's Last Words on Police Video?

Another example is the arrest of the famous Harvard University Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr who was arrested at his own front porch AFTER he was cleared of being suspected for home invasion.

The police came to the professor's house due to a report from a bystander that the professor was the intruder.

The professor identified himself and gave all the paper proof that it's his house.

After he was clear of the suspected crime, the officer now had to deal with the fact that the professor started to question his authority by asking for the officer's name. badge, and how the officer would deal any differently if it was white or colored suspects...

There was no crime any more, it's just talks! The officer should have walked away and let the professor talk all he wants.

No!!!!! The officer then called for back up and arrested the professor for "loud and tumultuous behaviour".

White Privilege: What if Henry Louis Gates had been White?
Elijah McClain huh....Interesting you left out the part that on the bodycam they picked up the words of the cop screaming "Hes going for your gun." Did that not fit your narrative. He was alive when the paramedics got there and had to give him ketamine to try and sedate him because he was so out of control. Hard to say a choke hold killed him when he was fighting paramedics much later on. Going to make up a new term about "delayed death from choke hold" to fit your narrative ? What about the coroners report. The coroner said that two possible causes of death were a drug interaction (Ketamine) and asthma attack. You conveniently left those out.
Seems you left a lot out. Why ?.....And I modify my earlier statement. Dont run, dont fight them, dont try and take their gun....Better ?

• Disagree
Reactions: LionXng
Heisenberg and Schrodinger are taking a leisurely drive when they get pulled over. "Do you know how fast you were going?" demands the cop. "No," says Heisenberg, "but I know where I was, which direction I was headed."

Annoyed by the attitude, the cop proceeds to search the car. "Oh my god!" he says, "do you know there 's a dead cat in your trunk?" To which Schrodinger replies "Well I do now!"

...Interesting you left out the part that on the bodycam they picked up the words of the cop screaming "Hes going for your gun." Did that not fit your narrative...

Who actually killed Elijah is another issue.

The same could be said about whether a knee on the neck could kill a suspect or not. There are experts who can testify knee on the neck, chokehold, and carotid hold... are safe.

The fact that suspects died after those "safe" maneuvers are problematic.

The fact that when there was no crime and the professor was clear as a homeowner but still got arrested for a "new" crime is problematic.

But let us not miss the point: Whether the person is alive or not, police should not demand respect by using heavy tactics such as a carotid hold, knee on the neck, or even just a ticket.

Yes, Elijah "looks" suspicious but for what crime?

So when the police command the suspect to stop and the suspected resisted by not stopping: That's not obeying the police, that's not respecting what the police instructed, and that what leads to the legal "resisting arrest."

But that charge would never be produced at that time if the police did not issue the command "stop because you are being suspicious."

The right thing to do was: When there was no crime, just walk away, don't attempt to make an arrest.

If the police did not stop Elijah he would not get a police carotid hold maneuver there and then.

The professor was lucky that he was not dead by then but if he was not a Harvard professor, he could be dead by then for talking back to the police.

Cops put their life on the line at EVERY STOP and on EVERY DAY. Regardless of race, police must always consider the possibility that the person could be dangerous.

ALWAYS show the officer your HANDS!
It is not complicated.

absolute bollocks.

in fact, there are so many more jobs that 'put your life at risk' (roofers being one of them).

putting your life 'at risk' is not a reason for automatic respect. and in fact, the tables have turned and since the cops are now armed like military, they are not one of us anymore, but an occupying force, to many of the population. of course they 'go home safe' each day - they are scared to actually DO policing. they shoot first and get away with it - because they all use that same get-out-of-trouble phrase:

"I feared for my life"

and that gives them a pass.

the tables have turned and its now the people who have to worry about every police encounter. there are reasons why people are in the streets protesting, and seeing a lot of ignorance here means there's still a lot of work left to be done, still. america is still not getting it - has fingers tightly in their ears, refusing to admit what is right there in front of them (on the news every day).

back to the list: here's a list of the most dangerous jobs in the US, by the labor stats:

The 10 most dangerous jobs in America

10. First-line supervisors of landscaping, lawn service, and groundskeeping workers
9. First-line supervisors of construction trades and extraction workers
8. Structural Iron and Steel workers
7. Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural workers
6. Driver/sales workers and truck drivers
5. Refuse and recyclable materials collectors
4. Roofers
3. Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
2. Fishers and related fishing workers
1. Logging workers

do you even see cops on that list? I don't.

Who actually killed Elijah is another issue.

The same could be said about whether a knee on the neck could kill a suspect or not. There are experts who can testify knee on the neck, chokehold, and carotid hold... are safe.

The fact that suspects died after those "safe" maneuvers are problematic.

The fact that when there was no crime and the professor was clear as a homeowner but still got arrested for a "new" crime is problematic.

But let us not miss the point: Whether the person is alive or not, police should not demand respect by using heavy tactics such as a carotid hold, knee on the neck, or even just a ticket.

Yes, Elijah "looks" suspicious but for what crime?

So when the police command the suspect to stop and the suspected resisted by not stopping: That's not obeying the police, that's not respecting what the police instructed, and that what leads to the legal "resisting arrest."

But that charge would never be produced at that time if the police did not issue the command "stop because you are being suspicious."

The right thing to do was: When there was no crime, just walk away, don't attempt to make an arrest.

If the police did not stop Elijah he would not get a police carotid hold maneuver there and then.

The professor was lucky that he was not dead by then but if he was not a Harvard professor, he could be dead by then for talking back to the police.

But its not "another issue" you brought it up, and dont like the facts now that they are correctly discussed.

If you are so against it, then you need to petition the Supreme Court of the USA to rule against Terry vs. Ohio and change the decision (Which was 8-1 BTW). The cops only need reasonable suspicion to stop and talk to him (and pat down for weapons). I would say walking around flailing your arms in the air wearing a skimask would be something reasonable to me. And most of us "unwoke" society would say something not normal is going on.

I do have a question for you. What should the cops have done in your eyes. They get a 911 call. They get dispatched to it. What would you have the responding Officers do ? Should they just decide its not good enough to look into and not go at all. Should they tell dispatch no. Should they take it upon themselves to go to the caller's house and tell them they are misuing 911 and they wont help them. I am actually curious in your world what the cops should have done when they get a 911 call that you dont like.

I'm not even responding to your ludicrous statement about the professor lucky he wasn't dead. You are just being sensationalistic now.

But its not "another issue" you brought it up, and dont like the facts now that they are correctly discussed.

If you are so against it, then you need to petition the Supreme Court of the USA to rule against Terry vs. Ohio and change the decision (Which was 8-1 BTW). The cops only need reasonable suspicion to stop and talk to him (and pat down for weapons). I would say walking around flailing your arms in the air wearing a skimask would be something reasonable to me. And most of us "unwoke" society would say something not normal is going on.

I do have a question for you. What should the cops have done in your eyes. They get a 911 call. They get dispatched to it. What would you have the responding Officers do ? Should they just decide its not good enough to look into and not go at all. Should they tell dispatch no. Should they take it upon themselves to go to the caller's house and tell them they are misuing 911 and they wont help them. I am actually curious in your world what the cops should have done when they get a 911 call that you dont like.

I'm not even responding to your ludicrous statement about the professor lucky he wasn't dead. You are just being sensationalistic now.
It’s a classic no-win situation for the cops. They get called to do their job and a tragedy happens and they are crucified. If they don’t act and a tragedy happens they are crucified the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.