Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police Palaver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going with the slogan slingers, I was tempted to say "The guys! Wesson, Smith, Colt, Remington..." But I'm trying to learn to control myself, so I didn't

You forgot the NRA. Thanks to the NRA/Firearms Industrial Complex stoking fear, now every time a cop pulls someone over or answers a call they have to be ready to deal with someone wielding a piece of military hardware whose only purpose is to efficiently and quickly kill human beings. Since our society likes it this way " reforming " the police department is a fools errand.

our society clearly does NOT like this.

in fact, we've seen the world wide protests. this is way more than the US police being out of control; its authoritarianism that is hitting the world (yet again, sigh) and people - regulars who just want to live their lives - are standing up and protesting, saying ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

so, its about human nature; its not an american thing. power corrupts and we've been conned into giving some groups of people way more power than they can HANDLE. the world sees it and wants change. the ones in control are putting up a fight. this won't end any time soon but history will record this and maybe in the near future, we'll wise up and re-invent ourselves.

...or corona will kill us all and save us the hassle ;)

Reactions: electricar
...I come from a family of 4 doctors, but now that I take care of my 91-yr old mom, and have seen medical incompetence protected by the medical establishment, I feel sick.

I don't think Medical professions are as powerful as Police profession.

Doctors can be quickly fired without going through the medical establishment.

Emergency Room Doctor and Ohio Senator Steve Huffman was fired from the hospital on 6/11/2020 just by talking in the state Health Committee about Covid-19 in "colored population...because they do not wash their hands as well as other groups" on 6/9/2020.

That despite of his apology on 6/11/2020.

In California, it lists doctors who are being complained:

Disciplinary Actions - Publications | Medical Board of California

In 2019, there were about 200 doctors had their practice ceased due to an order to stop pratice medicine, licenses are surrendered or revoked...

It's almost impossible to find such a database for police.

Emergency Room Doctor and Ohio Senator Steve Huffman was fired from the hospital on 6/11/2020 just by talking in the state Health Committee about Covid-19 in "colored population...because they do not wash their hands as well as other groups" on 6/9/2020.

In 2019, there were about 200 doctors had their practice ceased due to an order to stop pratice medicine, licenses are surrendered or revoked...

Finally, some progress! We need to disband the NAACP, Now!

Yea... what a dumb reason to fire an emergency room doctor.

Sooo, not sure how I got here - my post was short, and had nothing really to do with police - albeit it did reference a police report in a neutral manner..
I feel like an inmate thrown in the "Police Palaver Prison" only to learn the ways of evil from the other inmates. Mwuahahahaha!

But thanks mods! Now that I'm here - Looks like a nice place to join in.

Someone told me today they were upset about all the police around here "retiring early". They were even more shocked when I told them that was good news! Because if they leave on their own, there's more room to bring in a fresh crop that is less likely to be corrupt. On the other hand, there's also the possibility for even more corruption - i.e. - the devil you know and all that.

Speaking of police and guns and corona...
I'm fortunate enough to still have a job and returned to my office where the building installed a very expensive thermal scanner - akin to the xray scanner from the 80's movie Total Recall. There's now a security detail present where there was none before. As you walk in the building, you walk by a security podium where a guard is viewing the monitor with a readout of your temperature in real time. If you are over 100 degrees, an alarm goes off. Not just any alarm, we're talking klaxon level alarm with red police lights - the whole works.
Of course, I was the lucky guy to be the first one to set the alarm off. The security guard lept out of his seat reached for his non-existant gun and freaked the F out. Screaming at me, but not making much sense when he realized he was unarmed. He really panicked. His supervisor saw the commotion, calmly pointed a thermometer at my head which registered a cool 97 and apologized.

Glad he didn't have a gun.

I wonder how this is going to play out as we "reopen America" - will cops get called? What will they do? Oh well, at least I still have a job for now. Is this a new "first world problem"?

I can't tell you the stories I've heard, HIPAA, just let me say, it's not always easy to fire a doc in California.

changing subject to 'medical' is the modern fallacy known as what-about-ism.

anyone wanting to discuss medical professionals can create a new thread.

but lets stay on topic, shall we? this was about being pulled over by a cop, not a doctor (lol)

"excuse me, sir; I need to see your license and immunization records, please"

(actually, the more I think about it....)

;)

• Funny
Reactions: LionXng and KG M3
I was stopped for "hugging the line." Not a lane violation (unlawful) but hugging the line (lawful). Fifty minutes later and a breathalyzer of .003 (yeah, I had a beer about 90 minutes before I was stopped); I was let go. This was at 3:00 in the afternoon on a desert interstate with very little traffic. Fifty minutes of my life I'll never get back because I was on cruise control at the speed limit and I hugged the left lane striping because I was passing two semis, and it was windy.

The next time any of you are in South Dakota, stop in at an office of their State Troopers, and ask to see one of their warning tickets. These are mere warnings, and are not citations. You can collect a million of them, and there are no repercussions. The tickets list a number of offenses including, but not limited to...

Broken taillight; broken headlight; no brake lights; expired tags; failure to dim bright lights within 150 feet of another car; lane violation; speeding (1-10 MPH); driving too slow; failure to signal a lane change; driving in the #1 lane and not passing another vehicle.

You can see that these issues are trivial violations of law. But you can also see that they give the cop cause to stop a driver which then leads the officer down the rabbit hole with probable cause for DUI or drugs.

Interesting you see it as fifty minutes of your life you wont get back. I see it as years and thousands of dollars you barely escaped of court and lawyers. Its well proven that one beer diminishes your reflexes, and that .003 would get you hooked in some states. The legal limit is .08 generally, but that does not prevent you from being arrested for driving under the influence. Just makes their case more difficult. You should be posting how lucky you are for drinking and driving and not getting hooked up. I hope you have stopped doing that dumb *sugar*.

grandpasimpson.png

newsflash: nola guy shouts "LAW AND ORDER!!"

You forgot the NRA. Thanks to the NRA/Firearms Industrial Complex stoking fear, now every time a cop pulls someone over or answers a call they have to be ready to deal with someone wielding a piece of military hardware whose only purpose is to efficiently and quickly kill human beings. Since our society likes it this way " reforming " the police department is a fools errand.

You missed the sarcasm font. I have a different perspective than you might think. It would start with police stops for appearance and an arrest in the prior to military service and gets more interesting from there.

Interesting you see it as fifty minutes of your life you wont get back. I see it as years and thousands of dollars you barely escaped of court and lawyers. Its well proven that one beer diminishes your reflexes, and that .003 would get you hooked in some states. The legal limit is .08 generally, but that does not prevent you from being arrested for driving under the influence. Just makes their case more difficult. You should be posting how lucky you are for drinking and driving and not getting hooked up. I hope you have stopped doing that dumb *sugar*.

Please be so kind as to name the states where .003 BAC is unlawful and therefore the motorist is subject to arrest. In California, anything below .06 is lawful. Between .06 and .08 it is subject to the officer's judgement as to whether to arrest. So, your thesis is that a BAC of any measurable amount (even .00001) is unlawful and possibly impaired. This is quite an extreme position. .003/.08 = .0375. In other words, my BAC was nearly twenty-seven times beneath the .08 threshold for mandatory arrest and twenty times beneath the fuzzy area of .06.

I should feel lucky? Like Dirty Harry is after me and asking me if he fired five rounds or six? No, I do not feel lucky. The cop was doing his job, poorly and unprofessionally. He could have settled the matter within twenty-five minutes, but instead he had me perform twelve roadside tests, blow into three of his breathalyzers, all the while going back to his prowler and making me wait between his tests. It is the cop who should feel lucky, as he would not give me his name or identification number when he let me leave. He had the mourning stripe stretched across and obscuring his badge number. And, according to a local office, they cannot identify which officer is driving which patrol car even though I provided the license plate number of the vehicle he was driving, which I think was a false statement.

Please be so kind as to name the states where .003 BAC is unlawful and therefore the motorist is subject to arrest. In California, anything below .06 is lawful. Between .06 and .08 it is subject to the officer's judgement as to whether to arrest. So, your thesis is that a BAC of any measurable amount (even .00001) is unlawful and possibly impaired. This is quite an extreme position. .003/.08 = .0375. In other words, my BAC was nearly twenty-seven times beneath the .08 threshold for mandatory arrest and twenty times beneath the fuzzy area of .06.

I should feel lucky? Like Dirty Harry is after me and asking me if he fired five rounds or six? No, I do not feel lucky. The cop was doing his job, poorly and unprofessionally. He could have settled the matter within twenty-five minutes, but instead he had me perform twelve roadside tests, blow into three of his breathalyzers, all the while going back to his prowler and making me wait between his tests. It is the cop who should feel lucky, as he would not give me his name or identification number when he let me leave. He had the mourning stripe stretched across and obscuring his badge number. And, according to a local office, they cannot identify which officer is driving which patrol car even though I provided the license plate number of the vehicle he was driving, which I think was a false statement.

Uh huh. Cool story bro. Of all the things that happened that day, this wasnt one of em.

Sheriffs unveil legislative proposals they want passed to protect law enforcement

What the sheriffs are saying is they believe too many politicians, community activists, and in some instances, the media have fostered an attitude toward the police, which excuses or even glamorizes resistance to lawful authority.
The sheriffs believe most of the tragic incidents which have resulted in injury or death to individuals at the hands of police officers occurred because an individual refused to comply with a lawful order.
The sheriffs also believe too many political leaders have endangered the lives of police officers either actively, through their inflammatory rhetoric, or passively, by their failure to speak up in favor of police officers who serve and sacrifice.
The sheriffs are now calling on the Legislature and the governor to enact a series of bills that they feel will reemphasize the importance of citizen compliance with police orders.
Among the proposals: to make it felony for resisting arrest or failure to retreat when a police officer gives such an order.
In addition, they would like to see an assault against a police officer considered a hate crime with elevated consequences.

I'd love to hear the apologists defend this proposal.

the very notion of 'resist arrest' is beyond absurd. now, they want to give cops the ability to use this extremely subjective law on anyone they want, and it becomes a FELONY.

"wont someone please think of the poor, poor, underpowered cops?"

sheesh. they are more power-thirsty now than ever. they refuse to hear us.

this is why we need them to be re-invented. left on their own, they always come to the wrong conclusions and always in the wrong directions.

Reactions: cpa
It is the cop who should feel lucky, as he would not give me his name or identification number when he let me leave. He had the mourning stripe stretched across and obscuring his badge number. And, according to a local office, they cannot identify which officer is driving which patrol car even though I provided the license plate number of the vehicle he was driving, which I think was a false statement.

wow, he HID from you? would not give his badge number? that's against the law.

and the bootlickers, here, assure me that cops never break the law.

so, "this never happened."

(of course, I'm not serious and I fully believe you.)

why are cops allowed to cover over their names? seem pretty blatant. a real FU the citizens.

de-fund them all. sick and tired of this crap. it never ends and we keep hearing more stories like this, not less, as the police draw an even bigger blue-line between them and us.

I pleaded not-guilty to the ticket and it was dismissed by the district attorney without a trial. I have filed for a FOIL for the incident report in preparation for sending in a complaint to the police review board, I received a response that it would take six to nine months to get the report. Absurd. So, I will go ahead and file my complaint about the treatment of the officers without the report. Luckily the rear camera recorded much of the hour that they harassed me by the side of the road, including having me walk the white line several times, and the nearly 5 minutes that the cop shined the bright LED flashlight into my pupils in the dark with only the strobes of the police car as background. Unfortunately, there is no audio that would have recorded me pleading with the cop repeatedly to wear a mask or keep a safe distance, and them disregarding my request; and likewise, there is no audio of them making me take three Breathalyzers, as they refused to accept the result of the first two tests. I know nothing will come of my complaint as they protect their own. But, I will go ahead nonetheless.

Good for you. Make those cops pay for doing their jobs. After all we are in 2020, the year of the complaining and unsatisfied. Remember, everyone is perpetually offended, its a great thing for the country. You poor man (Hopefully not assuming your gender and offending you) for them harassing you. It sounded like a horrible life altering ordeal. Good luck comrade.

Also, I am quite interested in seeing this public flogging you took. Any consideration to uploading it to a private YouTube channel and link it here so we can see it ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.