Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He seems to have a very long history and personality of spontaneously and independently deciding things on a whim, announcing it immediately at the time he decided it, and then all of the rest of the company having to scramble to adapt to this thing he just told the world they were doing.
It's very Trumpian. Right down to the method of communication.

Can you dial down with Trump Comparisons? Elon has Asperger's syndrome give him a break would ya.
🤷‍♂️ he could have an ingrown toenail for all I care, the comparison would still be apt. (And it’s not about politics) He also has narcissistic tendencies and has a subset of hyperdevoted followers in whose eyes he can can do no wrong.

Oh, it definitely is.

Those things you listed are the Good Ways (TM) this could have been handled. They did not choose to do one of the Good Ways (TM).

I personally don't think so. He seems to have a very long history and personality of spontaneously and independently deciding things on a whim, announcing it immediately at the time he decided it, and then all of the rest of the company having to scramble to adapt to this thing he just told the world they were doing.
Agreed - and you may well be correct. No one really knows for sure; we just see the outcome.

Last edited:
🤷‍♂️ he could have an ingrown toenail for all I care, the comparison would still be apt. (And it’s not about politics) He also has narcissistic tendencies and has a subset of hyperdevoted followers in whose eyes he can can do no wrong.

Agreed - and you may well be correct. No one really knows for sure; we just see the outcome.
Very shallow comparison about his condition. Read up about his struggles when his was young bc of his condition.

• Disagree
Reactions: sleepydoc
Very shallow comparison about his condition. Read up about his struggles when his was young bc of his condition.
Well, I get that he may have legitimate issues. That said, he has sufficient funds, and intelligence enough, to get help where he needs some. Adult folks with ADD/ADHD (such as myself), and who are in business for themselves, have to get help with things they don’t do well. I know I do. And he obviously needs help with his impulsivity, and his media presence, and his communications to his team (set his own people/team better up for success, and for enjoyment of their jobs), and the public. Would do a lot to help things go more smoothly, and would not take away from his good ideas and thoughts. If he has good ideas and visions, they will still be good after sleeping on it, and after he has worked out details and communications with his team. And would likely make his life easier.

Nonsense... Elon has been successful because he supports a system based on merit and performance. Period.
I agree with you here, Elon is about getting the smartest people together and finding the best solution to the problem. That said, I truly think how one views all of this is a litmus test much the same way the Supreme Court nomination process was. (I am just gonna embrace the politics here since it is apparently allowed now).

Joe Biden explicitly said he would nominate a black woman to the court. People who believe the process should be about "merit" respond that he tainted the process by doing that and it casts doubt on the person nominated because he limited the selection to 6% of the judiciary. "Anti-racists" accuse the "merit" people of being racists because to them color blindness is racist and nominating a black woman is the "anti-racist" thing to do in order to right past wrongs. Merit people say that "anti-racists" are the racist ones because they are explicitly making her nomination about race and Biden should have just nominated the very well qualified black woman because she was qualified and that race neutral is the only way to have a truly fair society that functions properly.

Neither group had a problem with the qualified black woman being nominated to the supreme court yet both think the process illuminated the other groups "racism". This is why the Kendi-Diangelo idea that you cannot be "not racist" (only "racist" or "anti-racist") is so troubling to many folks and why proponents of that "anti-racist" world view feel like they need to inject their mindset into every single aspect of society at all times. The "anti-racists" view the entire concept of merit as "racist" because there are racial disparities in what qualifies as "merit" and therefore color blind ways of awarding merit will produce racially disparate outcomes which are by definition (according to them) "racist". This is why classical liberals and libertarians cannot see eye to eye with the "woke" even though they are both in large part on the "left" historically, it is that fundamental difference in their basic world views that leads to dramatically different ideas in practice.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I think this is a paradox Elon will face if he takes control of Twitter.
Here's an example of the issues...

Washington Post reporter Taylor Lorenz recently pointed a spotlight on the "Libs of TikTok" account, which anonymously wages a one-person witch hunt against LGBTQ+ teachers.

Right-wingers have accused Lorenz of "doxxing" the poster behind the account, but in reality, she has just exposed its appalling crusade.

The "Libs of Tiktok" accounts targets LGBTQ+ teachers and promotes their personal social media videos to a huge audience — her posts are often picked up by FOX News hosts — and gloatingly tries to get them fired.

Given the rapacious and frenzied state of the modern conservative, this inevitably incites harassment and death threats against these teachers — including against Tyler Wrynn, a former Oklahoma English teacher who committed the crime of making a video telling LGBTQ kids shunned by their parents that he was proud of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.