Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Avoid infection? Lol. the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Let me guess -- you are also positive that vaccines are mind control devices using 5G.

Addendum: You sound sure about your opinion, would you like to make a wager ?
I win $5k if a physician writes in this forum that you are a clueless moron.

We'll use an arbitrator to verify the physician credentials and to hold the money. Loser pays all fees.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteOC and Kubelfan
Let me guess -- you are also positive that vaccines are mind control devices using 5G.

Addendum: You sound sure about your opinion, would you like to make a wager ?
I win $5k if a physician writes in this forum that you are a clueless moron.

We'll use an arbitrator to verify the physician credentials and to hold the money. Loser pays all fees.
You’ve just one-upped yourself in the stupidity scale. Another branch covidian. Good god it never ends.

If you look at the current maps, Putin has accomplished a lot. He has pretty much connected Russia to Crimea by land. Go a little bit farther and he'll have Odesa too. While he has not made all the gains he wants, he has peeled of a big chunk of Ukraine already even if he stops.

Even if Putin has a severely degraded mental state, it is nothing compared to our dementia riddle Commander in Chief. I doubt that whoever is actually running the White House is as sharp, aggressive or ruthless as Putin is. He knows what level of incompetency he is dealing with at many levels in the White House. I don't know how much longer the EU will stand together.

They need to totally eliminate Russian oil. Our demented leader should do everything in his power to increase oil production to drop the price of oil. I spent a lot of time in Russian oil fields and they are NOT efficient producers of oil. So dropping the oil price will crush the Russian budget and have a bigger impact overall than sending more arms to Ukraine. When Putin runs out of money, he'll have to stop.

Your Cadillac example is a really bad one. No one needs a fancy car (a cheap one works), but power/gas is a pretty basic need.

People can go and skip the Cadillac and can also choose a Lincoln, but with power, the IOUs own the power lines to the neighborhood and you really can't pick another power provider. Even if you do those co-op things, the power lines and everything is still owned by the IOU I believe.

Even with cable/internet, some areas have multiple companies servicing it and you can choose another option (or just use your phone). Almost impossible for power. We certainly don't have any other option other than SDG&E.

Power is a government allowed monopoly with little/no consumer choice that's rubber stamped by the CPUC. Also, why should someone in Sacramento determine power rates in San Diego (we pay the highest rates in the nation currently)? Power is also considered a life need where without it, life could be in danger due to medical needs, excess heat/cold/etc.

I'd like to see cities actually start kicking the IOUs to the curb and go it alone. Start finding some land they own, build massive solar/storage themselves and kick PG&E/IOUs to the curb for their own neighborhoods. Generate power where it is used and minimize transmission lines/issues and cut the tie to the IOU master.

I'd really like to see more tech to allow folks to seriously go off-grid. The problem I have is still gas, but being in So Ca, even during winter, it was not too bad as long as a sunny day pops up.

I never understood why folks even defend utilities here. It's obvious the IOUs made this mess themselves (PG&E killing people, not maintaining their stuff), jacking up rates so high to the point where more and more people have gone solar/storage and will consider cutting the cord (like landlines) once more tech/solutions pop up. Especially wealthy people like that guy in Palo Alto where they have the means, it'll be funny to see how they deal then when the customer is not there anymore and don't have to care how the IOUs plans to rob them next.
If most of the expensive utilities are in California and other blue states, that points to state politics driving costs, not companies. Your vote matters.

Was going to mention the same thing. Even with cable/internet there are plenty of monopoly horror stories, but for power it's probably 10x worse. I'm in counties where you can pick other providers, but the powerlines and everything are very much still owned by PG&E (so billing is also handled by them). There is no escaping them unless you go offgrid completely, which is easier said than done (especially if you consider heating loads also and cutting off natural gas too).

The Cadillac example is ridiculously off given there are so many alternatives to buying a Cadillac (including used ones or even riding public transit or ridesharing) in comparison.
It’s Trumps fault; it’s Putin‘s fault; It‘s COVID’s fault; it’s SoCal Edison’s fault. Same blame game to deflect from the real issues. Some folks need to wake up.

It’s Trumps fault; it’s Putin‘s fault; It‘s COVID’s fault; it’s SoCal Edison’s fault. Same blame game to deflect from the real issues. Some folks need to wake up.
When did I mention any of those things (are you trying to set up a strawman)? I'm talking merely about how horrible your analogy about Cadillac is and how suggesting people go offgrid simply is not realistic.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
When did I mention any of those things? I'm talking merely about how horrible your analogy about Cadillac is and how suggesting people go offgrid simply is not realistic.
This whole discussion is difficult. We have one side saying they have a very valuable product (rooftop solar). No one else thinks that’s true and they wouldn‘t give them a dime for it. Once rooftop solar was mandated by CA state pretty much the value of solar dropped to zero in the state. Yet that group is trying to Ram it down the utility/rate payers throats when they don’t want it because it costs the rate payers more than it’s worth. The only group that won is the solar contractor that ran off with $30k from each home owner in a scam. So they blame the boogey man, which In this case it’s the utilities. So it’s as ridiculous as saying Trump and Putin are responsible for inflation.

This whole discussion is difficult. We have one side saying they have a very valuable product (rooftop solar). No one else thinks that’s true and they wouldn‘t give them a dime for it. Once rooftop solar was mandated by CA state pretty much the value of solar dropped to zero in the state. Yet that group is trying to Ram it down the utility/rate payers throats when they don’t want it because it costs the rate payers more than it’s worth. The only group that won is the solar contractor that ran off with $30k from each home owner in a scam. So they blame the boogey man, which In this case it’s the utilities. So it’s as ridiculous as saying Trump and Putin are responsible for inflation.

You appear to have some fairly selective reading. From what I've seen there's broad consensus here that the exports of rooftop solar often IS 'worthless'. There may even be broad consensus that it's often worse than useless. The biggest disagreement for me is the idea that the utility should be paid for energy produced and consumed without ever touching utility owned equipment. A fee for exports because the price of electricity is negative... fine.

What's absurd is the idea that if I have 10kW and batteries I pay ~$80/mo just for having 10kW even if 0kWh is exported and 0kWh is imported. Why have the grid connection? Because it's better if I can export when exports ARE needed and import when there's a surplus on the grid instead of using batteries. Everyone wins.

Last edited:
Funny how you yourself are using the utility cost shift argument and using solar as a bogeyman for high electricity prices and putting utilities as blameless.

First of all, it's the utilities themselves that were promoting (and continue to promote) rooftop solar. Here's an example from PG&E:
Get started with clean energy
If they thought rooftop solar was bad for the grid, they certainly didn't tell their customers. Now after getting people to install and companies to invest in rooftop solar, they are walking back on their commitments (first with cutting 5 years from the original NEM 2.0 agreement, not to mention the greatly reduced credits and the fixed fee).

I'm not even going to go into all the points already discussed about the math of the utility argument (especially the grid participation fee) being highly dubious (already discussed in depth upthread by others), but it seem you clearly believe in the utility argument that they have no culpability in this. I would say read a bit up thread to see the actual arguments presented here (PS: as I mentioned up thread, I'm not even opposed to a fixed fee for grid access, but it must apply to all ratepayers, applying it only to solar owners is fairly obviously a discriminatory measure).

Free speech freedumb...
Missouri Senate primary highlights rise of violent rhetoric on the right

But it’s also part of a significant increase among politicians – largely Republicans – in recent years in references to guns and threatening language in campaign ads, according to researchers. That rhetoric contributes to polarization in our society and can translate to physical violence, they say.But it’s also part of a significant increase among politicians – largely Republicans – in recent years in references to guns and threatening language in campaign ads, according to researchers. That rhetoric contributes to polarization in our society and can translate to physical violence, they say.

Republicans are also more likely than Democrats to think civilians may need to engage in combat to save America. A majority of Republicans support the possible use of force to preserve the “traditional American way of life”, according to a 2021 George Washington University Politics Poll. Among Democrats the number was 15%. When asked if a time will come when “patriotic Americans have to take the law into their own hands”, 47% of Republicans agreed, as opposed to 9% of Democrats.Republicans are also more likely than Democrats to think civilians may need to engage in combat to save America. A majority of Republicans support the possible use of force to preserve the “traditional American way of life”, according to a 2021 George Washington University Politics Poll. Among Democrats the number was 15%. When asked if a time will come when “patriotic Americans have to take the law into their own hands”, 47% of Republicans agreed, as opposed to 9% of Democrats.

One key difference between the Trump era and other highly polarized periods is the advent of social media, which amplifies speech by instantly sending it to millions of people and often strips nuance from a statement, according to Helio Fred Garcia, professor of professional development and leadership at Columbia University and the author of Words on Fire: The Power of Incendiary Language and How to Confront It.

Not FSD related but it is a tweet from Elon.

This makes no sense to me. Republicans are generally very anti-renewable energy and anti-EV. Republicans support more fossil fuel production and less renewable energy. Their energy policies are opposite to Elon's agenda of renewable energy and sustainable transportation.

Also, why advertise this? it will just invite criticism. It seems he wants to play the victim because when he inevitably does get criticized, he will cry "I told you so! The libs are attacking me!"

Status
Not open for further replies.