Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s funny that you can’t even quote what wasn’t factual about the tweet. It seems that your primary motivation is feeling that the other side has been “owned.”
It was enough egg on their face to delete it for trying to take credit for somebody else’s handiwork. And I don’t even like Richard Nixon aside from his character on futurama.

Yes, but on the post in question, you have to recall that he was "fact checking" a "sugar" post by Hillary Clinton. One where she indicated that the unemployed illegal alien, living in a hippy commune, flying LGBTQ and BLM flags, is some sort of "MAGA Republican", and once again demonizing half the nation. Thing is, countering a lie with a lie doesn't end up helping. But it is entertaining.

Have you read this yet? Over the last years he descended into believing right wing conspiracies according to someone who knows him well.

The tech bozo billionaire and Twitter top ding dong endorsed the MAGA GOP as a whole under the flimsy guise of "balancing" power in DC. Makes perfect sense! The country clearly needs radical right-wing coup enthusiasts, election deniers, gun zealots, and QAnon sympathizers tearing democracy down to its studs to "balance" President Biden's moderate, center-left policies.

“I’m going to suggest to you that the things you enjoy about this country, the freedoms, they will all be gone when you elect someone who says, ‘I don’t believe the vote. F— you. We’re going and we’re taking over.’ That’s how Hitler came to power,” Stern, 68, said.

“I’m going to suggest to you that the things you enjoy about this country, the freedoms, they will all be gone when you elect someone who says, ‘I don’t believe the vote. F— you. We’re going and we’re taking over.’ That’s how Hitler came to power,” Stern, 68, said.
Godwin's Law fulfilled. But while calling people Hitlers/Nazis is a common insult, here there's an actual historical parallel and it's actually appropriate, which is rare.

Trump and Elon Musk are dangerous narcissists tailored to 2022 America | Robert Reich

Taunting opponents. Treating employees like dung. Bullying adversaries. Demeaning critics. Craving attention. Refusing to be held accountable. Attracting millions of followers and gaining cult status. Spreading misleading information. Making gobs of money. Impetuous. Unpredictable. Ruthless. Autocratic. Vindictive. Remind you of anyone? Musk is not exactly Donald Trump. They’re different generations, possess different skills, occupy different roles in the bizarre firmament of modern America. And Trump is far more dangerous to democracy – so far.

Beware. The last time the world gave in to megalomaniacs it did not end well. The robber barons of the Gilded Age – men like William (“the public be damned”) Vanderbilt, Andrew Carnegie and John D Rockefeller – siphoned off so much of the nation’s wealth that the rest of the nation had to go deep into debt to maintain their standard of living and overall demand for the goods and services the nation produced. When that debt bubble burst in 1929, the world got a Great Depression. And that depression paved the way for Benito Mussolini, Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler, who created the worst threats to freedom and democracy the modern world had ever witnessed, and the most deaths.

Trump and Elon Musk are dangerous narcissists tailored to 2022 America | Robert Reich

Taunting opponents. Treating employees like dung. Bullying adversaries. Demeaning critics. Craving attention. Refusing to be held accountable. Attracting millions of followers and gaining cult status. Spreading misleading information. Making gobs of money. Impetuous. Unpredictable. Ruthless. Autocratic. Vindictive. Remind you of anyone? Musk is not exactly Donald Trump. They’re different generations, possess different skills, occupy different roles in the bizarre firmament of modern America. And Trump is far more dangerous to democracy – so far.

Beware. The last time the world gave in to megalomaniacs it did not end well. The robber barons of the Gilded Age – men like William (“the public be damned”) Vanderbilt, Andrew Carnegie and John D Rockefeller – siphoned off so much of the nation’s wealth that the rest of the nation had to go deep into debt to maintain their standard of living and overall demand for the goods and services the nation produced. When that debt bubble burst in 1929, the world got a Great Depression. And that depression paved the way for Benito Mussolini, Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler, who created the worst threats to freedom and democracy the modern world had ever witnessed, and the most deaths.
I'm just wondering why ElectriclAC disliked this post? Is it because you don't believe the content or is it because you don't like the author? Elon is, IMO, headed in the wrong direction and he definitely has a cult like following if not a flat out CULT following. Fortunately there seems to be a balance, thanks Elon, in Tesla believers if not in Elon followers. Hoping that enough voters see the danger and America pulls itself out of the deep dive its in.

I'm just wondering why ElectriclAC disliked this post? Is it because you don't believe the content or is it because you don't like the author? Elon is, IMO, headed in the wrong direction and he definitely has a cult like following if not a flat out CULT following. Fortunately there seems to be a balance, thanks Elon, in Tesla believers if not in Elon followers. Hoping that enough voters see the danger and America pulls itself out of the deep dive its in.
A little of column A and a little bit of column B.

Reich is a hack.

And that depression paved the way for Benito Mussolini, Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler, who created the worst threats to freedom and democracy the modern world had ever witnessed, and the most deaths.
I agree with the part about threats to freedom and democracy BUT the second part, the most deaths, is factually untrue.

eyUnc.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Certainly not but I wish people would get the facts right. Mao wasn't much of a threat to freedom and democracy outside of the PRC because he wasn't trying to export authoritarianism to other places but he killed far more people than Hitler and Stalin combined.
i see those charts often mentioned and sometimes in the context of "Hitler was bad, but Mao and Stalin were WAY worse".

First: all are freakin' horrible
Second: Hitler killed *millions* in just ~6yrs and was finally stopped from doing more killing ; whereas Stalin and Mao had their terror regimes kill people for ~30 years...

By no means can these charts be used as a "bad/worse/worst" ranking...

Certainly not but I wish people would get the facts right. Mao wasn't much of a threat to freedom and democracy outside of the PRC because he wasn't trying to export authoritarianism to other places but he killed far more people than Hitler and Stalin combined.
I think we've reached a new low here excusing Hitler and Stalin because Mao was worse.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
i see those charts often mentioned and sometimes in the context of "Hitler was bad, but Mao and Stalin were WAY worse".

First: all are freakin' horrible
Second: Hitler killed *millions* in just ~6yrs and was finally stopped from doing more killing ; whereas Stalin and Mao had their terror regimes kill people for ~30 years...

By no means can these charts be used as a "bad/worse/worst" ranking...
Well there's also: Hitler's regime deliberately took and killed civilians, whereas the deaths under Mao were mostly starvation under misguided policies on food production. Mao's regime wasn't actively trying to kill so many civilians, it just happened because they didn't set incentives properly. For example, low level officials were incentivized to lie about production so people above them in the chain of command may not have actually known how bad things were getting.

Well there's also: Hitler's regime deliberately took and killed civilians, whereas the deaths under Mao were mostly starvation under misguided policies on food production. Mao's regime wasn't actively trying to kill so many civilians, it just happened because they didn't set incentives properly. For example, low level officials were incentivized to lie about production so people above them in the chain of command may not have actually known how bad things were getting.

Replace food with energy for a lesson on how people don’t learn from history.

Reactions: DrGriz
Status
Not open for further replies.