Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL - Age vs. Patience for Model 3

Age of Model 3 Buyers

• 18-34 (Millennials)

• 35-50 (Generation X)

• 51-69 (Baby Boomers)

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe I'm in that small, but weird, age gap between X and Baby Boomer. That said, the delay doesn't bother me because I expected it. The X was delayed for 1.5-2 years? I figure they'll improve on that as the car is vastly more simple, but there'll still be a delay because making that many cars is hugely different than the volumes they're doing now. So, if they can crank them out in a meaningful way (not too sure what # that is exactly), but I'd be hugely impressed if that happened before mid-2018.

I was originally Nov-Jan date. Now it's Dec-Feb. If I get it before end of 1st Qtr 2018, I'd be thrilled. If I get it before end of 2nd Qtr 2018, I'd still be happy and consider them a success. I very much expect another delay and adjustment of delivery dates. I'm optimistic it'll just be another month delay though.

We boomers (and earlier) invented the Internet. I started using the Internet in the 1980's and haven't forgotten yet... :) Boomer category should be changed to 51 and over - I voted anyway although I am a 1946 Boomer.

I am very patient; I don't expect the production delay or loss of tax credit to affect my purchase.
Al Gore takes offense at the slight.

• Funny
Reactions: DR61
Emotions are all over the chart about the production and delivery of the Model 3. Lots of disappointed people speaking out, some who are truly Model 3 enthusiasts and others who just want to kick Tesla.

So I was wondering if there is any correlation between someone's age (generation) and how they feel about Model 3 delays.

Feel free to comment on your age and your feelings on how Tesla is handling the delays with the Model 3.

I'm a baby boomer and I would have liked my car a year ago. That being said, I have more yesterdays than tomorrows, but I am not frazzled about having to wait a month or two longer.

There are so many factors other than age that makes someone anxious or not. The poll is kinda useless.

• Disagree
Reactions: PRSIST and David29
35 here - was planning on getting the LR version early enough to get the full tax credit. If it goes away I will consider the SR version, and wait patiently for it. All the angst here on this forum is more annoying to me than anything Tesla has done.

On the very off chance that I’m unable to get a Model 3 (ie, Tesla goes out of business and can’t sell me one), then I will grudgingly buy a hybrid ice and be annoyed with it until another manufacturer catches up to Tesla a creates an EV I actually want to buy.

Reactions: T34ME and PRSIST
Always disappointing when something you want is not available, but I always tell myself that this is a "want", not a "need". If I really needed a car now, there are plenty of other options. But I *want* this car because it's simply desirable to me. So I will wait until the time is right for me and Tesla.

I guess I classify as an "X" in that poll.

I feel a lot better now after reading your post..... :cool:

35 (soon-to-be 36) here

Reactions: PRSIST
I'm 35 and while I was hoping to get my car this year I figured that wasn't likely. I would rather they take their time and get it right than rush it. I've been a part of several projects and know what happens when there are stupid deadlines that are enforced. Work gets sloppy in a hurry to meet deadlines instead of delaying for a week to do it right.

I've told project managers a few times I like deadlines they make a funny whooshing noise as the blow past. I understand that the schedules Tesla/Elon have talked about are best case and are more to help motivate people than what they really expect to meet. The model 3 is a much larger project than I have ever worked on so I expect delays.

Middle sixties here. I purchased a CPO S shortly before the Model 3 reveal because I wasn't willing to wait. Some health issues caused me to rethink my usual waiting-patiently-for-future and do a bit more "living for today." Still have my 3 reservation but doubt that I will use it. My S60 is so solid — at 41k miles — that I'm inclined to keep it past warranty, even though I'd really like a bigger battery car for much faster Supercharging — road trips are the majority of my miles. Might look at a CPO 3 in a few years or, perhaps, the Y. I like the S so much more than what I know of the 3 that another CPO S might be the best option, if I make a change.

For now, I'm just hoping that Tesla will survive, being less sanguine than most others here about the prospects.

I replaced the traction battery on our old 2002 Prius late last year exactly because I expected serious M3 delays. A few months extra wait won't mean anything to me (early 60's here). Being required to always carry a phone is a more serious problem. Hope both issues get fixed between now and whenever.
Only risk: another manufacturer coming out with a long (enough) range EV that doesn't look like a punishment car. Supercharging is not critical for us. That could happen.
Robin
Doesn’t the keycard work if you don’t carry a phone?

I am 50. Ever since the day Elon came out with the Super Secret Master Plan, I have been eagerly waiting for my Model 3.
Our family has no gas vehicles now, so I am not in immediate need. I would far rather Tesla take a few extra months and get it right, than have it now.
I've waited nine or ten years, I can wait a few more months.
People need to understand Tesla publishes their Goals. Last year Elon announced a July date for the first Model 3s, and freely admitted he did not expect to be able to make that date.
This is not the typical way businesses announce dates. They announce relatively 'safe' dates. Tesla announces aggressive goals. They push themselves and their suppliers. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it is amazing :)

Last edited:
Yes. You just have to dig out your wallet, extract the card, put your wallet away, place the card just so on the B pillar, then get in and place it just so in the center console.
OK for some. Too much monkey motion for me.
Robin
You could keep the card in a back pocket and just twerk your way into the car. Now that’s monkey motion!