Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Do you plan on buying a chademo adapter?

Are you planning on purchasing a chademo adapter?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good points above.

I’m just so excited about the idea that Teslas will be charging using CCS stations that I’m hoping I’ll be able to charge my Model 3 using CCS.

The Tesla Super Charging “network” where I live is paltry. The nearest charger for my “practical” use is over 70 kilometres away. Then nothing for the next 400 km north.

I hope Tesla will either bring on the Super Chargers or make CCS accessible.

Got 2019.24.4 tonight and immediately went to Ikea to test the charging. Overall pretty happy with the speeds. Pics below, but basically at 25% I was getting 36kw and 240 km/h, at 36% I was getting 44kw and 290km/h, and at 53% I was getting 47kw for 308km/h. Had to stop the test there because it was just going to be a quick one and I was picking up dinner ...but thought these data points would be useful to you folks here.

Note this charger is rated to 50 kW so not sure how much more it would have increased speed. I was hoping that I could see where the taper occured, but I couldn't wait that long. Will try that another day...

IMG_20190724_212041.jpg
IMG_20190724_210955.jpg
IMG_20190724_205303.jpg
IMG_20190724_205227.jpg
IMG_20190724_204201.jpg
IMG_20190724_204040.jpg

No idea. Also not familiar with the limiting at SC on the S/X. Under what conditions would this happen? Ie, what was considered 'excessive', and what was the charge rate limited to?

Supposely, there is an internal counter. Once reached, SC speed was reported to be limited by BMS to 90kw to protect the health of battery.
Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges - Electrek

No idea on....
1. Does this rule apply to 3 with newer battery?
2. Would Chademo DC charging trigger the counter just like Tesla SC?
3. What is consider 1 DC charge? (e.g. plug in for 5min vs plug in for 1hr on chademo)

Supposely, there is an internal counter. Once reached, SC speed was reported to be limited by BMS to 90kw to protect the health of battery.
Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges - Electrek

No idea on....
3. What is consider 1 DC charge? (e.g. plug in for 5min vs plug in for 1hr on chademo)
Interesting, though this is likely to have changed with the model 3 pack. Even then it isn't a huge limitation. They just limited to 90 kW, which is still very fast and not affected by current chademo. It lists the user as having accumulated 6,685kwh over 245 sessions. So that's an average of around 27 kwh/session. It would take me about 3-4 years to accumulate that much assuming I only used chademo so in my case this isn't a huge concern.

Thanks for the article link though. Will be interesting to see if the model 3 is at all better in this regard.

Poll didn’t have option for buying a Used adaptor.

Picked up a used one, haven’t tested yet (also don’t have the 24.4 update yet)

It will be used as it opens up more backroad routes to places I’ve driven many times. I miss some of the scenic routes that aren’t covered by Tesla yet.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck

No idea on....
1) yes, I think it will.
2) potentially yes, but it will take a LOT longer to manifest itself due to the ‘lower’ level of power.
3) anything above 30% SOC gain

This is all IMHO, and should be taken with a grain of salt the size of Texas. :p

Reactions: chevycc
Interesting that the curve is inversed vs the super chargers. Seems to ramping up as SoC got higher...why is it like this?

Current is maxed out at 125A the whole time, which is low compared to a supercharger, but voltage increases as battery fills up. At supercharger current can go way higher like 400A or so, but that gets capped at higher state of charge.

Yeah, the voltage is going up. That's how the Chademo DC charge works. It works this way on CCS as well. My wife's bolt increases the voltage of the pack as the SOC goes up. I didn't get a chance to see where the current tapers on the model 3 yet. I posted it a few pages back, but I believe on the Bolt the taper came on pretty hard at around 70% SOC and I dropped from 111A down to 70-ish pretty quickly.

Yeah, the voltage is going up. That's how the Chademo DC charge works. It works this way on CCS as well. My wife's bolt increases the voltage of the pack as the SOC goes up. I didn't get a chance to see where the current tapers on the model 3 yet. I posted it a few pages back, but I believe on the Bolt the taper came on pretty hard at around 70% SOC and I dropped from 111A down to 70-ish pretty quickly.

Same thing happens on supercharger voltage goes from 350 to 400 but current is going down and that is the main limit.

• Informative
Reactions: pcons
Just one data point for me. And yes I see most of you folks are up there in Canada (a nice place to visit for us).
Three years ago when I started doing coast to coast USA trips, I borrowed an adapter from a friend in case I needed it. I never did, and finally returned it. Maybe things are different up there, and I suppose it never hurts to have one handy just in case. :)

At the current price, the ChaDeMo adapter is too costly for the speed you get, and I don't really need to get anywhere that it would enable me to reach that Superchargers won't currently. If it was $100 I'd buy it. At $200, I'd consider it but probably not buy it.

I'd rather buy a Type 1 CCS adapter, as it can sustain better charge rates and eventually will have a more useful variety of locations to use it at. I probably still wouldn't *need* it vs Superchargers, but the flexibility would be nice since I might be able to park and eat on a road trip at a wider variety of locations while charging. I'd certainly pay more than $100 for the adapter. Even at $250 I'd get it without second thought, though at $300+ I'd have to think about it. $600, even for it's greater utility, would be a difficult sell.

So my second attempt at using the chademo adaptor didn't go as smoothly. A couple interesting observations.

Started with around 61% charge, and the current and voltage from the station were 381V/122A, so around 46.5 kW, yet the car was only reporting around 39 kw for 259km/h. Yesterday at the end of my session I was at 63% and car was reporting 47kw for 308 km/h.

IMG_20190725_194524.jpg
IMG_20190725_194548.jpg

About 10 min later the car jumped up to 47kw and 308km/h....so very likely that the battery was heating up to an optimal temp I guess, and the extra 8 kw was being used to heat the battery. Though it's been really warm so surprised it would need to heat the battery at all.

IMG_20190725_195138.jpg
IMG_20190725_195155.jpg

The main things I wanted to see is where the charge started to taper out and if there were any stability issues. Last night the charging went smoothly, tonight not so much. Once I hit ~ 73% SOC the fast charge unit would shut down with an error every 5-6 min and require re starting the session. I suspect it's because by then I was pulling 122A/390+V, so the station was crapping out...

But I persevered and kept re starting. Must have needed to do it 7 or 8 times. The charge rate stayed constant (minus shutdowns) until 85% SOC, at which point the current almost immediately dropped down to around 50A.

IMG_20190725_202928.jpg
I
IMG_20190725_202945.jpg
IMG_20190725_203005.jpg

So, I'll need to pay more attention possibly to how the station stability is. It may be the other station there is better. Needs more testing. But our Bolt never had this issue. I expect that's because the bolt starts to taper the current at around 70% SOC and has a lower pack voltage, so overall load is lower on the station. I'm pretty happy the rate is high until 85%. Just hope the station stability isn't the issue. The strange thing is a soul EVwas charging at the same high kw rate on the adjacent unit and didn't have any shut down issues. So I hope it wasn't the chademo adaptor I just bought that was crapping out. The handle and chord was noticeably warm, but that's to be expected when pushing 120A through it.

Anywho....hope this is useful info for you guys. No fancy graphs showing the taper, but I think you get the same point with the pics of the station and the touchscreen....

Last edited:
The strange thing is a soul EVwas charging at the same high kw rate on the adjacent unit and didn't have any shut down issues. So I hope it wasn't the chademo adaptor I just bought that was crapping out. The handle and chord was noticeably warm, but that's to be expected when pushing 120A through it.

Anywho....hope this is useful info for you guys. No fancy graphs showing the taper, but I think you get the same point with the pics of the station and the touchscreen....

I have a 2016 kia soul ev. I've only done chademo with it on flo charger at Canadian Tire but it does full speed 125A ish until 80% then heavy taper. Like drops to a third of that 40 amps by 85%

Looking at OBD2 data my soul is at 357v at 62%. So maybe just a tad lower than model 3. My model 3 is 350v at 10%.

Think kia soul battery is 375v at full vs 400 for model 3 at 90%.

• Informative
Reactions: pcons
I have had a Chademo since 2015. Definitely of use in certain areas. Can go virtually anywhere in Quebec and the Maritimes with one. But since the Supercharger buildout into the Maritimes have used it less often but did come in handy once this summer. I actually bought a J772 extension cord back in 2016 because I was afraid of being “iced” out of reaching a charger in the old days before there were any Superchargers east of Drummondville, Quebec, and only two Chademo chargers that Far East. How times have changed. I never did need to use that J772 extension cord but still carry it around. I think getting a Chademo adapter is dependent on either where you live and the charging situations around you but also on one’s personality. I am just the sort that feels better knowing wherever I go I have as many options to charge as I can. I have every adapter, the J772 and a heavy regular extension cord, and the Chademo adapter always with me.