Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] ELDA users, what is your experience? (Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance)

As an owner on 2019.16.x, what is your experience with ELDA?

• I don't have enough miles to be fair. I'll change my vote later.

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Haven't noticed it do anything at all

Votes: 58 31.5%
  • It has unsafely tried to correct my steering

Votes: 55 29.9%
  • It has safely corrected my poor steering

Votes: 49 26.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it works as intended.

My previous car, a E300 2017 MBZ, had the same feature but it was mostly a hit and miss. My tesla shows a better understanding of the road therefore it's way safer than the distronic plus avoidance system that I used to own.

Perhaps most people here complain about it because they never had such feature in their previous vehicle?

In my case, it was part of my premium package and I got used to it. In fact, it did save me couple times when people merged into my line hence I would say it's a good safety feature.

It took a bit of searching - Tesla apparently has multiple versions of their Model 3 Manual up at the same time for North America. This is the most recent release I can find: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf published as of May 16th, and references code base 2019.16.1.1.
Interestingly, the ELDA paragraph in this manual only mentions potential collisions with cars in adjacent lanes, while the original blog entry says it will also intervene when the car is merely "close to the edge of the road", which seems to be what some people are experiencing.

You were expecting less worse than a 1/4 outright negative responses? Because that's pretty bad as is. Or that isn't where the poll was at when you posted?
It's growing. Just at a raw 16 users from this forum seems way too high since it's such a small sample size....
Me thinks that I will stay on 2019.12.1 until the opt out toggle can be saved. It appears to me that Tesla needs to get a lot more shadow data to train this feature before making it always on.

Interestingly, the ELDA paragraph in this manual only mentions potential collisions with cars in adjacent lanes, while the original blog entry says it will also intervene when the car is merely "close to the edge of the road", which seems to be what some people are experiencing.

I have found it difficult to pin Tesla to specific details on emerging technology in written documentation. The blog post, for example, states that the feature enables itself at 25 mph, which has been widely quoted by news organizations, and stuck in my head. When I referred to the manual, it did not mention a specific speed for ELDA, but did for LDA (30 mph). I suspect this is simply because we are dealing with a moving target.

I myself have only experienced intervention in my testing with LDA so far and I'm not as willing to test ELDA if it involves other vehicles on the road.

Reactions: SammichLover
Honestly, I wouldn't mind an opt-out ... if it was possible to opt out on a permanent basis. Having to disable this every single time I drive is ridiculous.

That is the root of the issue, right now you must disable it each drive. Like emergency braking but oddly not for the obstacle acceleration avoidance stuff. Inconsistent ... but Tesla, don't change that one to have to be done every day!

I'm using it at the moment to give it a shot, but honestly I feel it does more harm than good so far. It's never unsafely corrected my steering, but the absurdly loud warning tone is almost enough to shock me into doing something unsafe myself. There were a few situations where it helped me out when I turned to look in my blind spot and accidentally crept over (not that I was actually close enough for any collision), but more often than not it triggers on me when I'm actually well within the lane lines. There is one particular spot on a 40mph undivided surface road on my way to work where it engages every single morning. The outer lane line is damaged there and I think it's being spoofed by some vertical road surface cracking or something, but it never fails to claim I'm outside of the lane when I'm actually not.

I'm strongly leaning towards turning it off at this point, though I'll probably give it another 300-400 miles to redeem itself (not that I'm going to intentionally create a situation where it could!)

Reactions: UTMB
That is the root of the issue, right now you must disable it each drive. Like emergency braking but oddly not for the obstacle acceleration avoidance stuff. Inconsistent ... but Tesla, don't change that one to have to be done every day!
Looking at the manual description, and trying to figure out why it triggered in a particular place for me, I think ELDA might actually be intended as "sideways collision avoidance". So there is similarity but rather than using brakes to avoid the collision, it is using steering. Could be why they thought this was the way to handle it?

Still, not cool IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie
Hm, pretty sure AEB stays off permanently when you turn it off. But there is normally no reason to, since unlike ELDA it isn't prone to false positives.

Reactions: GSP
Tesla needs to make the feature a user choice. Forcing people to disable it every time is stupid. The car cannot discern the driver's intentions for leaving the lane and shouldn't be trying to second guess the driver.

I have had this feature kick in falsely and it scares the *sugar* out of me. I don't want my car taking control away from me when I am driving it, EVER.

Tesla needs to make the feature a user choice. Forcing people to disable it every time is stupid. The car cannot discern the driver's intentions for leaving the lane and shouldn't be trying to second guess the driver.

I have had this feature kick in falsely and it scares the *sugar* out of me. I don't want my car taking control away from me when I am driving it, EVER.

Pease consider contacting Tesla customer support so they hear us, the more the better.. [email protected]

Reactions: Runnergirl
@Eno Deb on my car it warns me that it will reenable next drive. True I only had 1 scary false alarm so less bad perhaps but the principal still holds that it should be my selection not Tesla’s
Just tested it and you are right. Never noticed that because I had no reason to disable EAB. It never went off for me even though I got the Forward Collision Warning a few times. If ELDA was as conservative about intervening in my controls I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Reactions: Runnergirl