Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Have you changed your mind?

When it is time to configure and order will you:

• Order with same options planned a month ago.

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • Order with different options from what was been planned.

Votes: 41 21.8%
  • Delay configuration.

Votes: 47 25.0%
  • Cancel reservation.

Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Luckily I have two reservations (but can vote only once).

The first one: Will take immediately with all available options (that make sense for me - no child seats)

The second one: when enough options show up that I cannot wait any longer, maybe a year later

Temptation is murderous to upgrade my MS, but I stood up against it very well - so far.

I am going to put in a second deposit and get the RWD Spac3 Taxi this year and then upgrade when the Dual Motors come out next year. Hopefully a current Model 3 owner would have priority of people still waiting.

Actually, I will most likely change my mind on upgrading as soon as I see the Model Y next week and wait for that.

Hearing that dual motor wasn't going to be an option until 2018 has definitely changed my plans. Being a day 1 Model 3 reservation holder and being in CA about 20 miles from the factory, I thought I might have a good chance of getting a late 2017 or very early 2018 75D/80D or whatever the biggest battery "D" model would be and still get the full federal rebate.

My current car needs to be replaced and it would be a stretch to be able to go another 12-18 months from now with it and not be subjected to increasingly costly maintenance and old-age troubles. I simply need another car before then but don't want to settle for RWD when I have my heart set on AWD. Nearly all of my cars (mostly BMWs) have been RWD but mentally I've been wanting AWD in a Tesla for the increased range (minor, I know) and traction (useful for cornering and for rain and light snow in the mountains). It's not a technical need, but it's something I really want.

Long-short: I'm going to get a Model S soon (CPO or 60D before they discontinue them) and keep my Model S reservation. I'll probably want the same 75D I had planned before...maybe even a "P75D" if the insurance rates aren't too crazy. Knowing that won't be ready until probably mid 2018-ish, will give me plenty of time to actually see Model 3 in the showrooms and hear about the feedback and deep dive into the features and figure out if I want to go Model 3 or stay in the S. If I go 3, I'll sell the Model S and "downgrade". Or I may just keep the S.

Reasons I prefer the S: Spacious. Hatchback. Style. 17" *integrated* touch screen. Driver's screen/binnacle.

Reasons I prefer the 3: Cheaper. Easier to park in city (SF) situations. Lighter + denser energy cells = more range per kWh.

My gut tells me I'll buy the S and probably never look back. But we'll see.

:D I get your point, but it's just a poll on the internet. Just between you and me, people don't even have to be honest about what they would do. As some have pointed out, no one is making any actual decision any time soon (unless they cancel). I selected delay because I want dual motors (not just AWD) but when the time comes I may decide I don't want to chance missing out on the tax credit, or that they want too much for the upgrade. It's just to see where people's mindset is at the moment.

Fine, but I still don't get the choice provided for cancelling the rez. Why would you wait until it is time to configure the order for that choice?:
When it is time to configure and order will you: Cancel your reservation

Fine, but I still don't get the choice provided for cancelling the rez. Why would you wait until it is time to configure the order for that choice?:
Hmmm... you got me there. I probably included it because it is an option, but not sure why someone would do that at that time.

When it is time to configure and order, you will know some things you do not know today:

1) ETA
2) Options
3) Prices
4) Your personal situation and finances

If somebody is going to cancel, 'order day' would make the most sense, unless $1000 is a lot of money to you. Things change.

I posted this simply to score some more dislikes from ZM. If I get 10,000 I win a trip to Hawaii.

The 3 was either going to be for me if it was much more technologically advanced than the S I currently have, and so far it's not looking to be that way (unless they make some changes to the new S's, which will trickle down to the 3's).

So now it's pretty much guaranteed that if we do buy a 3, it'll be for my wife. She's not happy about no AWD. And she's not happy about no center display (I guess there's still hope for a HUD?).

Elon confirmed......no HUD for Model 3

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
Link?
All I have seen so far is interpreted responses and I am hoping for something definite.
I am holding my reservation until I see some actual official details.

My fear right now is there will be nothing other than the center console screen.
We know there will be no display in front of the driver, but I am still hoping for a HUD.

If there is not a HUD, I may actually end up shopping at a different manufacturer.
The RWD doesn't bother me in the least. I drove the RWD Roadster through a couple of MN winters with no issue.
I would also like the smaller size, but I don't like not having a speedometer in my LOS.

I could stick with the S, but I really want a smaller car.

When it is time to configure and order, you will know some things you do not know today:

1) ETA
2) Options
3) Prices

If somebody is going to cancel, 'order day' would make the most sense, unless $1000 is a lot of money to you. Things change.

I posted this simply to score some more dislikes from ZM. If I get 10,000 I win a trip to Hawaii.
I did squish multiple steps into "configure and order" for simplicity. Maybe not the best idea for those thinking through each step in detail.

Good luck with your like.

Oh no, I've been hijacked. :eek:

upload_2017-3-28_19-8-53.png

• Informative
Reactions: Max* and Zythryn
I put delay, since I'm planning to get a P75D. As an in-person, non-owner, East Coast reservation holder, I was figuring I wouldn't take delivery until 2018Q1 anyway, but would be able to configure closer to launch and lock down my place in line. Now, I'm not sure if all the pricing/performance/range info will be available for the P's and D's at launch. Even if it is, I will probably wait to lock in the order to see how the ramp goes with quality and learn from the first owners experiences. I guess it's possible that if the P info comes out at launch and it no longer seems worth it to me, that I will go with RWD big battery and configure ASAP.

Really hoping for P to be available before the full tax credit goes away. I think it should be fine if they ship before end of 2018Q2. If it slips into Q3, not sure. Might just have to live with half credit. (Obligatory first world problems reference...)

I'm waiting until options are priced. If I can get what I want with my budget and it looks like I'll still get the full tax credit, I'll wait. (line waiter, owner east coast.) But if AWD is the difference in the budget, or if the full tax credit is in jeopardy, I'll skip AWD. We have a 70D for the 1-2 times a year I might need it for snow.

1) ETA
2) Options
3) Prices

Funny that sounds a lot like "wait for announcement of full set of features and options before deciding"... This forum cracks me up.

Unless you're cancelling, isn't everyone going to delay configuration? Nobody knows what is standard equipment or, beyond a few hints, what options will be available. I never had a target configuration because there was never enough information available.

All that said, I may opt to wait out the first six months of production. I dearly love my Model S but there are definitely kinks and quirks that were refined relatively quickly in later production vehicles and we do have an i3 lease that's up in May 2018 as a target timeline. Then again, I may get swept up in the excitement again when our number comes up and more information is available.
^^THIS^^
How anyone can profess to being "upset" or "angry" when there has only been wild speculation on when things will be available and even wilder speculation on what features the car will have.

Really wanted dual motor, and would've preferred a HUD or driver's side mounted gauge cluster. Initial runs not getting dual motor and doesn't look like anybody is getting a HUD or driver's side gauge cluster. I'm going to let my deposit continue to ride and will give the center mounted screen a chance since it seems the single motor cars will be out long before I could get my dual motor.

I really want 300+ EPA miles. I think 75kWh is not the biggest battery they can fit and I might wait until they release a bigger pack with more miles. I kind of wanted AWD, but it isn't a deal breaker because I'm perfectly happy with my front wheel drive car now.

Biggest battery
Autopilot