Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How many Model 3s did Tesla deliver in October

Poll: How many Model 3s did Tesla deliver in October

• 0-100

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • 100-200

Votes: 41 26.1%
  • 200-300

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • 300-400

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • 400+ (over 400)

Votes: 14 8.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0-100
I think Tesla is at present keeping hundreds/thousands of model 3s in stock until the seats/battery or whatever bottlenecks are solved and then delivers them at the end of november and december. That's why Elon said december will be the month to look forward to (or words to that extent).

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: CmdrThor
0-100 is a choice... and includes zero.
Zero is impossible since we have confirmed deliveries in OH (VIN531), NY, OR, and one on a truck yesterday.

Based on the frequency of VIN sighting I think it's likely significantly below Sep. I saw ~30 VIN sightings in Sep, and ~24 so far in Oct. Considering VIN sighting frequency should scale with cumulative deliveries, most of these 24 in Oct may be from those 260 delivered by the end of Sep.

It's got to be at least the same number as the previous month. If it's not, then the sourcing issues are worse than I thought.
Not necessarily, once an issue is discovered, it wouldn't make sense to keep making cars with the defective parts/process. The main reason Tesla would want to keep making cars is that they need to keep the line moving to troubleshoot other suspect steps. If nothing else they should be able to maintain their Sep production pace. The fact that the line could be stopped could mean that they've identified the fixes for all the problems, so now they can wait for the fixes to roll out, and not waste time/money making more cars with defective parts/processes.

Zero is impossible since we have confirmed deliveries in OH (VIN531), NY, OR, and one on a truck yesterday.

Based on the frequency of VIN sighting I think it's likely significantly below Sep. I saw ~30 VIN sightings in Sep, and ~24 so far in Oct. Considering VIN sighting frequency should scale with cumulative deliveries, most of these 24 in Oct may be from those 260 delivered by the end of Sep.

Yes, I think that's probably correct... even if those vehicles were built last month they would still be considered October deliveries.

They release quarterly delivery figures, not monthly, so I wouldn't expect anything new.

Good point. I will be gobsmacked though if analysts on the earnings call don't hold their feet to the fire and try to get this information anyway.

Musk saying they have things handled might not be enough.

How long does it take to make a car from start to finish at this point?

We don't have that information really although one Tesla employee who tweeted the various stages of his car from ordering to build to final delivery indicates it was somewhere around 4-6 weeks from the time they started building his car to the point where it was delivered to him. At one point it site for 3 or so weeks, probably having something to done to it before it was ready.

The one on the truck probably didn't get delivered in October. My guess is around 10 M3s were delivered in October - and those were just ones that got built in September, but delivered in October for whatever reason. I believe production is on hold right now for a few reasons - a) supplier issues, b) perfecting the production process so the service centers won't be overwhelmed like they were with the X, c) allow infrastructure to grow as much as possible before the sudden delivery of thousands of M3s - avoiding a major customer satisfaction issue due to waits at superchargers and service centers.

Last edited:
The one on the truck probably didn't get delivered in October. My guess is around 10 M3s were delivered in October - and those were just ones that got built in September, but delivered in October for whatever reason. I believe production is on hold right now for a few reasons - a) supplier issues, b) perfecting the production process so the service centers won't be overwhelmed like they were with the X, c) allow infrastructure to grow as much as possible before the sudden delivery of thousands of M3s - avoiding a major customer satisfaction issue due to waits at superchargers and service centers.

In that case, I wonder how many were produced at all. Tesla doesn't have infinite storage space, and people would be taking pictures if there were lots fulled of Model 3s waiting for delivery.