Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] How much more do you plan to spend vs what you've spent on your previous cars?

How much more do you plan to spend vs what you've spent on your previous cars?

• $0, this is the cheapest car I have ever bought!

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • < $5K

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • $5K to $10K

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • $10K to $15K

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • $15K to $20K

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • $20K to $25K

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • $25K to $30K

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • $30K to $35K

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • $35K to $40K

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • >$40K

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • This is my first car purchase

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla seems to have a knack for convincing people to part with more money than many other car companies, how much more do you plan to spend? Please include rebates/credits in your calculations (ie. See my example)

Most expensive car I bought was $33K
I expect to spend $55K minus $7.5K fed minus $2.5K state = $45K
My tesla model 3 will be $12K more than I have ever spent on a car before!

My most expensive ICE was a $25k Prius, but that will be 14 years ago by the time I pay for the Model 3. Once inflation is accounted for the prices are not much different.
The other problem with this poll is that people tend to make more money and buy more expensive cars as they get older.

Since I have owned >50 cars some have been pretty cheap. I left this to only the last 15 years so the Model 3's will be the cheapest I have bought by a decent margin even though I'll buy them loaded.

I was looking at prices of new jeeps and just like every other time I've looked, I decided to keep mine. I'm not sure why the snide remark about Tesla when all cars are expensive, the base option is undesirable and the option you really want ( want that is except for the whole spewing dinosaurs into the air thing) is crazy expansive.

In any case, I paid 5000 for my current car, and that's the most I've ever paid.

I'm eagerly waiting to give my money to Elon. I'd be happier if it were jeep like, but I'm not waiting anymore. At least 42k, and I repeat I'm HAPPY about it.

Reactions: SageBrush
My most expensive ICE was a $25k Prius, but that will be 14 years ago by the time I pay for the Model 3. Once inflation is accounted for the prices are not much different.
The other problem with this poll is that people tend to make more money and buy more expensive cars as they get older.
Basically the same for me. My Prius is 16 years old and, at the time, it was the most expensive car I ever purchased at around $21K. For the Model 3, I'm going with the base model + PUP + paint for $41K (which is how I voted in the poll). If I'm able to get the both Federal and State incentives, that'll end up being only $10K more than the Prius, but in return I'm getting a more luxurious, feature-rich car than I've ever owned.

Last edited:
The only new cars we purchased was back in 1984 and a 1995 Saturn (maybe ~18k)
Since that died after 240k miles while waiting for M3, I've been replacing that with some used cars to hold me over.
I have preferred to spend my money on computers and hot dinner dates with my spouse.
I plan to forgo AWD and 19" wheels to keep the price down. ;-)

In my case it is more interest in what I consider a world changing car.

edit: typo

Last edited:
This will be my first car purchase -- certainly doesn't make the expense easy to swallow, though I can afford it.

Current car was a gift but could have been valued at ~5k. I'd be fine with keeping it and buying some used car in the future if it wasn't that this car could be the iPhone of the auto industry.

The model 3 will be the first (and possibly the last) car I purchase new. It will be 3-3.5x the outright purchase price of my current ICE and at least twice the cost of what I would spend on an ICE to replace the current one if the Tesla doesn't work out for some reason (exchange rate, new govt regulations etc)

Well, the 3 will be cheap compared to my previous three Tesla's.

But my first Tesla was $103k after incentive, and the most expensive ICE I drove was $19,500. So that was $83,500 more.

Even the 3 will be $31,500 more than the ICEs.
I'm right there with ChadS.
Most expensive car I ever bought was my 1987 Integra for $14,000. My wife's S was $114,000. So 100K more.

Reactions: ChadS
Well, the most expensive vehicle I purchased before the Model X was a GTI @$26k, so I've already spent way more than I will on the Model 3. However, if we compare the Model 3 to the GTI, I expect our configuration to be around $50k (waiting for AWD so ignore tax credit) so I guess $24k more than I have ever spent on another car, sans Model X.

To clarify, the LEAF would have been more expensive than the GTI, but we walked into to the dealership with an $11k discount before we even began negotiating.

Like the poll...
I'm along with what looks like the trend at $10-$15k.
My most expensive car purchase was a used car, but it was an M3.

Lucky for me I'm the prefect age for the mid-life crisis so I can justify the extra expense.

Off topic - is there any level of irony for any former or current M3 owners? Moving from M3 to Model3 ...I dunno...