Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] How much will the 75kWh upgrade cost?

Speculate... How much will the 75kWh upgrade cost?

• < $5,000

Votes: 73 28.6%
  • Between $5,000 and $7,500

Votes: 127 49.8%
  • Between $7,501 and $10,000

Votes: 43 16.9%
  • > $10,000

Votes: 12 4.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Since there probably won't be a "battery upgrade", but rather the larger battery being part of the "premium" trim, this discussion makes little sense.

With Tesla saving configurations and so on, we already see the Model S adding more luxury features to their larger battery models. I fully expect the Model 3 doing the same.

So there won't be a 5k battery upgrade, but rather a 10k upgrade, that will add more features as standard and also a bigger battery.

I also don't think Tesla will do the whole software limiting again, cells are still too expensive and the base Model 3 will be tighter on gross margin, than a base Model S.

This is a $13K upgrade from S75D to S90D (while it exists). Even if they lower that price for the 3, I can't imagine an over 60% price cut.
Why not? We know the pricing right now is by value not based on cost. They can charge whatever they want. If it's not there now, the actual cost for the 15 kWh upgrade is heading to $1500 or lower making $2000 yield 25% gross margins.

Note that when the 60 disappeared that the upgrade cost was $2000. The Model S 75 also dropped in price to $1500 more than the 60.
Model 3 will not have a 100 kWh battery so they can still always charge a premium for that, but as a matter of competing with ICEs you really need that 75 kWh version to as low cost as possible so that the pricing can be affordable.

This is probably a wild guess but I'm going to say Model 3 75D is going to sit near $42,000 although if they wanted to, they could throw in autopilot for that price as well. In my opinion, that would be by far, the best selling combination.

So here's an article:
Here's How Much A Chevrolet Bolt Replacement Battery Costs
It also suggests readers search for this:
Battery | Genuine GM | 24285978 : GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts
Showing the 60 kWh Bolt battery for $11,895.12 or roughly $200/ kWh. No doubt GM is still making a profit with this.

If Tesla followed suit, because hey as we all know, Tesla is supposed to have the lowest cost per kWh in the world... $200 * 15 kWh = $3000

I'm just saying if anyone at Tesla is reading this, this is how others are pricing battery packs per kWh.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
I am pleasantly surprised that only ~15% of poll responses think upgrade is more than $7.5k!
I just hope this poll doesn't become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

We've established pricing is by value and not by cost so one might interpret this poll to mean that over 69% value the upgrade to be over $5000 and might therefore pay as much. I will go out on a limb here and say that's not indicative of the general population.
As a matter of fact, the general population has no Model S pricing reference, they are simply going to see an EV with less range than their current car for more money (unless they are Tesla fans). There may be news articles proclaiming that EVs still can't quite compete with ICEs yet.

I really hope it's under $5k. If under $40k gets you an EV with nearly 300 miles of range, it's going to be a game changer for the competition.

Understand ... I am a fairly new to this forum.

I am disappointed to learn that greed would motivate a manufacturer to provide the potential ...
then charge extra to use it merely with a software change. Why not charge extra to turn on the lights so you can drive at night? Or to use the AC you need to pay extra .... I could go on and on.

But, I suppose that is what the entertainment industry does (pay extra to watch sports, movies)

I can easily understand that for an additional fee .... additional cells would be installed; or a larger and more powerful this or that ... but merely to charge extra for the software to utilize the potential already built in is just pure greed. I'm disappointed to the extent that my previously high opinion of Tesla .... has been deminished.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

I am disappointed to learn that greed would motivate a manufacturer to provide the potential ...
then charge extra to use it merely with a software change. Why not charge extra to turn on the lights so you can drive at night? Or to use the AC you need to pay extra .... I could go on and on.

But, I suppose that is what the entertainment industry does (pay extra to watch sports, movies)

I can easily understand that for an additional fee .... additional cells would be installed; or a larger and more powerful this or that ... but merely to charge extra for the software to utilize the potential already built in is just pure greed. I'm disappointed to the extent that my previously high opinion of Tesla .... has been deminished.
Welcome to the real world of capitalism! :p

I see you have a computer... would you like software with that?

There's no current evidence that the Model 3 ~60 kWh would be a software locked 75 kWh battery.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Welcome to the real world of capitalism! :p
I see you have a computer... would you like software with that?
There's no current evidence that the Model 3 ~60 kWh would be a software locked 75 kWh battery.

Your point is well said. I think I understand ... I'm just disappointed.
I am encouraged by your 3rd point ... hopefully the M3 will not be software locked.

Your computer analogy is valid to a point .... I do purchase various allocations for my computer .... I get that ... but following the initial expenditure, I am constantly getting software updates on my computer, my iPad and my telephone that do not cost extra. Now I presume the Tesla software is likewise updated from time to time.

OTOH .... Imagine buying a brand new very pricey ICE vehicle with a powerful 8 cylinder engine. But the base price limits you to only 4 cylinders (even though you are lugging around 4 unused cylinders). But for a additional price, you can use 2 more cylinders ... and even all 8 for an additional higher sum. Agreed ... most manufactures offer a more powerful ICE for a higher price ... but the additional cost purchases a different ICE. The new Hyundai IOniq offers 3 variations, two at a higher cost than the base vehicle. But each comes with different (additional) attributes, up to and including a full EV.

One final thought ... if it is software locked .... eventually some computer nerd far smarter than me will figure out a way to unlock it without compensating Tesla ..... maybe the Russians? LOL

Last edited:
Your point is well said. I think I understand ... I'm just disappointed.
I am encouraged by your 3rd point ... hopefully the M3 will not be software locked.

Your computer analogy is valid to a point .... I do purchase various allocations for my computer .... I get that ... but following the initial expenditure, I am constantly getting software updates on my computer, my iPad and my telephone that do not cost extra. Now I presume the Tesla software is likewise updated from time to time.

OTOH .... Imagine buying a brand new very pricey ICE vehicle with a powerful 8 cylinder engine. But the base price limits you to only 4 cylinders (even though you are lugging around 4 unused cylinders). But for a additional price, you can use 2 more cylinders ... and even all 8 for an additional higher sum. Agreed ... most manufactures offer a more powerful ICE for a higher price ... but the additional cost purchases a different ICE. The new Hyundai IOniq offers 3 variations, two at a higher cost than the base vehicle. But each comes with different (additional) attributes, up to and including a full EV.

One final thought ... if it is software locked .... eventually some computer nerd far smarter than me will figure out a way to unlock it without compensating Tesla ..... maybe the Russians? LOL
For decades we've had chip manufacturers disable functionality with a single laser cut, or auto manufacturers sell identical engines but with performance managed by the ECU (higher performance if you pay more). Hacking is a real concern when selling something software locked. I wonder how many people would trust their lives to a hack by some random person.

Many are convinced that the margins will be too low to sell a software locked battery, but only Tesla knows the true prices.

Reactions: Stirfelt
For decades we've had chip manufacturers disable functionality with a single laser cut, or auto manufacturers sell identical engines but with performance managed by the ECU (higher performance if you pay more). Hacking is a real concern when selling something software locked. I wonder how many people would trust their lives to a hack by some random person.

Many are convinced that the margins will be too low to sell a software locked battery, but only Tesla knows the true prices.
I would trust a hack by @wk057

Reactions: JeffK

They aren't charging solely to use the extra capacity they also need to recoup the cost of the batteries. They could just as easily have only installed 60kWh packs and made it impossible for people to upgrade without a trip the service center and additional costs. Look at it from Tesla's point...they were giving away 15kWh of batteries for free with no guarantee that they would ever get paid for.

By your logic then they should give away EAP and FSD as well since they are only software changes.

Reactions: PaulJB and cizUK