Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] How much will the 75kWh upgrade cost?

Speculate... How much will the 75kWh upgrade cost?

• < $5,000

Votes: 73 28.6%
  • Between $5,000 and $7,500

Votes: 127 49.8%
  • Between $7,501 and $10,000

Votes: 43 16.9%
  • > $10,000

Votes: 12 4.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What people are missing I think here is that the bigger battery will unleash better performance. They will probably use the 335i (now 340i) as a benchmark and try to beat it.

340i starting price: $47,900. 0 to 60 4.8 sec

That would make sense for tesla to charge a big premium for that, especially to not canibalize the model s.. so I think anything under $10k overly optimistic.

Assuming your talking about driving performance only, that is not necessarily true. The bigger battery will enable better driving performance only if the power output from the battery is the limiting factor. Using the Model S for example, that is the case for dual motor vehicle, where you see jumps in performance for various battery configurations on the dual motor car. However, if you look at 0-60 times for the S60, S70, and S85, they generally hover around 5.4 - 5.5 sec, right? In this case, I presume its mostly the single large rear motor that is the limiting factor, and a larger battery won't change that. (Now, larger battery will improve charging performance, which I also find valuable.)

To relate back to your BMW analogy, I expect the larger battery plus dual motor to be about a $10K upgrade total (ex. $6.5K for battery and $3.5K for AWD). That probably gets the Model 3 0-60s into the mid-upper 4 second range.

I can resolve that one for you. Very slim to zero chance.

I can't see them dropping the options by more than half from S pricing with a reservation list hundreds of thousands deep, although I'd be delighted if you're right. A Model 3 75D with EAP is my target config, and if I could lock that in at $42k, I'd config that puppy and sign on the dotted line post-haste.

Where can I sign right now as well? All I "need" is EAP and would strongly prefer a larger battery but am hoping to get both around that $42K number.....

What people are missing I think here is that the bigger battery will unleash better performance. They will probably use the 335i (now 340i) as a benchmark and try to beat it.

That would make sense for tesla to charge a big premium for that, especially to not canibalize the model s.. so I think anything under $10k overly optimistic.
For me, the decision will still be based on range rather than a quicker 0-60. If they charge too much for the range upgrade, I'll have to pass on the purchase. I know that I want nearly 300 miles of range or more, because I won't have access to nightly charging. I'm hopeful I can get by with charging my car 1-2 times per week.

I thought of you this for while now. I prefer to look at package cost as fraction cost of whole car. Model X 75D->100D is 17k more for 25kWh. Model S 75D->100D is 23k more (but with air suspension bundeled). So if we assume Model S 25kWh upgrade cost 17k of 74.5k => 1/4.3824th of price of whole car. I expect that we can take similar approach with Model 3 => 35000/4.3824=7987$. I think that with GF1 efficiency we can get somewhere around that price for this mass market vehicle.
Big question is if they force some premium features with bigger battery. 75RWD should come first, AWH and smaller battery later. I am concerned that they discontinue bigger battery RWD soon after, so we would be forced to buy AWH, like it was with S and X..

People have some impression this "mass market" car is to compete against a mass market honda civic or toyota corolla. It just isn't. Its mass market is really meant to compete against the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, etc. Each time you bump the engine specs, you pay the 10K increase roughly. Why wouldn't the same be likely here? If its only 3-4k like some here predict, why would anyone ever want the smaller underperforming battery.

The difference between a 75D and a 100D MS 0 to 60 is 0.1 sec according to the design studio. I don't think you can really say that the pack size difference will "unleash" better performance. $10k is almost 30% of the base price of the entire vehicle!

I don't know what the upgrade will cost, but I think a significant amount of the reservations are for people who stretched to $35K. They require the federal tax credit to make it financially viable. Those people would not choose the upgrade.

sadly since they are making the larger battery car first so those who choose the 35k option are less likely to get the tax credit. However, those who choose the upgrade are likely to get the money back in the tax credit.