Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] How much would you sell your M3 for on day one?

How much would you sell your M3 for on day one?

• Not for sale at any price!

Votes: 29 21.5%
  • 5% over what I paid

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 10% over what I paid

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • 20% over what I paid

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • 33% over what I paid

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • 50% over what I paid

Votes: 24 17.8%
  • 100% over what I paid

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • 200% over what I paid

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • I would sell it, but it would cost more than 200% over what I paid

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading this article:
First used Tesla Model 3 is listed for sale at $150,000

I started wondering what it would take to get me to part with my highly anticipated model 3... Curious what you guys think it would take to pry it away from you ON DAY ONE....Meaning you would not plan on driving it at all, but letting the rich new owner the fortune of pick up and everything.... Also let's assume you don't get any tax credits or rebates since you typically don't qualify if you don't keep the car a certain amount of time. Assume that the potential buyer will pay all your purchase expenses including deposit and taxes.... How much MORE than the cost would it take to give up your baby? Getting back in the line is like another year of waiting...

I figured I would get a fully optioned car at $60K. I would then miss out on the federal Tax credit ($7.5K)and I would probably miss out on my state rebate ($2.5K). So even at 50% more I'm not quite motivated enough. By 100% I am, because then I can afford to get the AWD Ludicrous version. For that amount and that car, I would wait another year...

Here's the thing. I would be willing to sell my new Model 3 (if I had one) for probably around 10K more than I paid for it. But I'm also not a fan of scalping, so I would only do that if it was not my original intent to resell.

I'm reminded of an old story about Abraham Lincoln.
A railroad tycoon met with the President at the White House. He proposed setting up a regional rail monopoly. Lincoln would receive a generous kickback.
Lincoln didn't respond.
The tycoon upped the kickback.
Lincon didn't respond.
The tycoon doubled his initial offer.
Then he tripled it.
"Get out of here!" Lincoln yelled.
"Why? Have I offended you, Mister President?" the tycoon asked.
"No. You're just getting close."
Robin

Are you asking about day one of when you take delivery or day one to non-employees, which not everyone would get?

I have a reservation I put down for a family member but my expected delivery would not be well in to 2018, so if I could sell it for enough to get an Audi e-tron Quattro, a Model S or even a Jaguar I-Pace at that time, I would sell it because those would be bigger vehicles, which would be preferred.

If I were to get it on day 1 of delivery to non-employees, I would sell it for much more as I’m sure there would be willing buyers (supply and demand).

Last edited:
I'm reminded of an old story about Abraham Lincoln.
A railroad tycoon met with the President at the White House. He proposed setting up a regional rail monopoly. Lincoln would receive a generous kickback.
Lincoln didn't respond.
The tycoon upped the kickback.
Lincon didn't respond.
The tycoon doubled his initial offer.
Then he tripled it.
"Get out of here!" Lincoln yelled.
"Why? Have I offended you, Mister President?" the tycoon asked.
"No. You're just getting close."
Robin
Getting close to offending Lincoln or getting close to his target number?

I picked 33% as I think it would be a no brainier. 50k @ 133% = $16,500 + $7,500 tax credit = $24k profit
Buy a new Model X $83k - $24k profit - $7,500 tax credit = $51,500 for a new 75D Model X vs $42,500 for LR Model 3.

After reading this article:
First used Tesla Model 3 is listed for sale at $150,000

I started wondering what it would take to get me to part with my highly anticipated model 3... Curious what you guys think it would take to pry it away from you ON DAY ONE....Meaning you would not plan on driving it at all, but letting the rich new owner the fortune of pick up and everything.... Also let's assume you don't get any tax credits or rebates since you typically don't qualify if you don't keep the car a certain amount of time. Assume that the potential buyer will pay all your purchase expenses including deposit and taxes.... How much MORE than the cost would it take to give up your baby? Getting back in the line is like another year of waiting...

Uggh, I read that and I keep switching my answer. In my mind I'd want ~$25,000 extra on a ~50,000 car but you also mention tax rebate missed out on and then the new buyer paying taxes. Whatever that all boils down to I need somewhere in the 50% to 100% surcharge range. So for now I put 50% but know if there is a rebate or refund I'm missing out on I'm counting that on top of the base cost not as a deduction to it (I'm assuming I'll not get to take it a year or two down the road when I buy the next one). If that means I need to select 100% instead depends on which side of the equation you put that missed tax credit.

I would not consider a Model 3 a ~$40,000 and take ~60,000+random fees, I would consider a Model 3 a ~50,000 car and take ~75,000+random fees. That $15,000 difference would be near my tipping point. Bump it to 100% if you think of it as a ~40,000 car and want to give me ~80,000+random fees. I'd have no hesitation at the +100% level.

Last edited:
The exact amounts of the 3 vs S/X don't matter, just you get the idea that if paying the same amount of the 3, but getting the S/X, I would pull the trigger selling the 3. ;)

So what's interesting is that given the choice between a Midnight Silver S100D + Premium + EAP for $55k and a Midnight Silver Model 3 Long Range + Premium + EAP for the same $55k is that I'd take the Model 3 if I wasn't allowed to sell the Model S and pocket the difference, and that's after having done several Model S test drives including one that was several days long, and now after having perved on the Model 3 extensively yesterday in person (though I didn't get to sit in any of them, let alone drive).

80C712F6-11AE-45C7-9B1F-9115EAE5743D.jpeg