Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How often do you use AutoPilot?

How often do you use autopilot?

• Never (except to try it out)

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Daily

Votes: 209 78.0%
  • Once in a while

Votes: 35 13.1%
  • Only on trips

Votes: 16 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use Autopilot every chance I get. I do it to learn the technology. At first it was nerve racking. Now, it is sort of commonplace. It IS NOT a 'hands free' function. There are too many places on many of the roads where AP kicks out. This is due mainly to the lane markings, whether they are faded or missing. The DOTs in each state will determine ultimately the success or failure of autonomous driving in the way that they initially mark roads and then how they maintain the lane markings.

What I am working on now is the auto braking feature combined with Autopilot, while approaching a traffic signal. I live on a US Highway that has a 55 MPH speed limit and just a handful of traffic lights. So, during my trips, it is not unusual for one of the lights to turn red or be red while approaching. One of three things typically occurs:

a) I approach a stop signal with no cars in front of me and must deactivate TACC and AP to bring the car to a stop

or

b) I am following a car and TACC slows the car down while pacing the car in front, bringing the vehicle to a complete and autonomous stop

or, what happens most frequently

c) I am not following a vehicle and have TACC set to 60 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. I am not following any other vehicle. The traffic signal in the distance is red and there is a car stopped at the light. In this case, the car maintains the 60 MPH i have it set to until it detects the stopped car, at which point the TACC strongly applies the auto braking bringing the vehicle to a stop. However, by this time, I have just about messed myself, have my hands on the wheel and both feet covering the brake pedal hoping and praying that if TACC doesn't detect the car and stop, that I have enough time and space to avoid a ugly ending. So far, the TACC has done its job. But, it took a few times of preemptive braking to allow it to brake itself. Now, I find the thrill of this maneuver about as fun as the Launch of flat footing the car from a dead stop. Nothing like the adrenaline rush of instant starts and stops. I know there is the Tesla Grin from the Launch, there needs to be a Tesla Smirk for the Instant Stop. Both are indescribable.

I am not responsible for anyones actions who tries to duplicate this stopping maneuver (stunt) and fails miserably! But, without trying, knowing and understanding, how else will Autonomous cars handle this in the future?

Has nothing to do with whether other Teslas have driven on that road. I assume you know that the gray steering wheel must be visible before you can activate it. There are a few other reasons why it may be deactivated as well (condensation inside housing, sensor fluke, etc.) but none have to do with whether other Teslas have driven there before.

Nobody outside Tesla knows for sure, but the general assumption is that Tesla looks at incidents where the driver takes control, probably sorts them by frequency of occurence at a specific location, probably transmits a camera image along with the incident, and that info is used to improve the system for later updates. But as far as anyone can tell, there is no true real-time improving going on. Seems like it's more about a system gathering a lot of data which is then incorporated into the algorithms for future updates.

I'm with you. I didn't state my thought clearly. What you speculate about regarding "driver takes control" and Tesla using this data was what I was talking about also. I am sometimes driving on roads where there have not been any previous "driver takes control" events before, and maybe these are later used for map corrections.

I kind of had to force myself to use it in town. But now I do it all the time. I think it allows me to expend more attention to traffic. I'm less myopic just staring at events in front of my. That said, I'm still very very cautious and still 'drive' the car. But especially on a long drive I'm MUCH less fatigued using autopilot. It's all those little micromotor adjustments you make when driving that makes you tired.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
It took me a couple of days to get comfortable with AP. It is a bit unnerving at first to just let the car take over. Now after 6 months I look forward to engaging it and relaxing during my ride. I have a 25 mile commute to work (each way) and use AP for about 90% of it. I have to take a few business trips of about 280 miles round trip per month, and find myself much less fatigued on those days when I use AP. Luckily there is a supercharger on both routes I take.

My daily commute includes about 10 miles of stop and go freeway driving each way. After getting my MS in late February I spent a couple of weeks becoming comfortable with TACC and then made the leap to AP. Now I use it daily. We haven't taken any road trips yet, but I'm looking forward to the AP experience.

I use Auto-Pilot all the time b/c as ive noticed is that my car is getting smarter and NOT Doing what it used to do when it was first released!! And I also loves that I can just sit back and look at the road ahead to be ready in case of any bad moves the car makes. But now those rarely happen anymore:D ( And the Auto Lane Change feature I love that)

My ride to work is a parkway, which is a bit twisty. On the way in I don't have much traffic and I have to take over several times with it running at highway speed. I have to "hover" over the wheel at times and several times I grabbed the wheel at almost the exact time the warning alarm went off. On the way home I am always in bumper to bumper and there I trust it completely. I even like it in city driving when traffic bunches up at a light and I know I won't be through the intersection for 2 or 3 light changes.

I use it ONLY on highways
I use it ALL the time in highways, even if it is for only a mile
By "Highways" do you mean Interstates? Or other highways?

The guidance I have seen on this is that you should only use Autopilot on divided highways. I have tried it on two-lane roads; it works (as long as the lines on the road are clear), - but it will give you a scare sometimes. I'm not sure it is intended for this.

Other thoughts?

I use it maybe... 95% of the time on my normal commutes, and even more when driving on trips...

The only time it's off is when I actually want to enjoy the car, and purposely drive on windy roads, offensively and at excessive speeds...

I'm so far very, very happy with the AP!

I've now had an autopilot loaner for 4 days, including going to my cabin and back having just returned. I used autopilot as much as I could. I could't really figure out where to rest my right foot. On the brake is probably safest but it's not comfortable, nor is off the pedals, so I found myself resting it on the gas pedal. Is that what most people do? I drove with my hands on the wheel, and off the wheel (bad me!) at least until it nagged me.

Going 120km/hr (10 over the limit which the cops usually allow) and going into corners takes some getting used to. The system is great, and works really well, but surprisingly I don't want it as much as I thought I would. Since it requires constant attention, I prefer to drive myself. What I do really want is the auto dimming of high beams. That worked incredibly well and made driving the highways at night so much better. It amazing how it knows if it's another car, as opposed to another bright light in the distance.

I think AP may create a problem with the human mind that I will coin: "Phantom Autopilot". This happens when you use autopilot a lot and you just expect the car to be driving itself, even when AP is not engaged. I don't even think better sound warnings, different graphics, etc. will make much of a difference to combat this phenomenon. I think the human brain gravitates towards patterns and reliance, and once it finds new ones, it expects them to be there, even when they are not. Well, at least my brain does. I found myself expecting the car to react even when AP was off which makes no logical sense, but it did happen and it concerns me. Maybe it's just me?

The funny thing is Tesla told me the car was restricted to 80 mph (130 km/hr). It wasn't.

Last edited:
I've now had an autopilot loaner for 4 days, including going to my cabin and back having just returned. I used autopilot as much as I could. I could't really figure out where to rest my right foot. On the brake is probably safest but it's not comfortable, nor is off the pedals, so I found myself resting it on the gas pedal. Is that what most people do?

I don't. I prefer to put my feet on the floor and bend my knees, like sitting in an ordinary chair. I find that there's plenty of room to vary my position over long stretches of freeway.

The system is great, and works really well, but surprisingly I don't want it as much as I thought I would. Since it requires constant attention, I prefer to drive myself.

I can see that, but with more hours using AP you might find that there are rewards. I find that with AP engaged I can think more strategically about my driving, and monitor a wider locus of potential hazards. That makes a difference to me in traffic. Physically I experience less fatigue: I think that's both because of the difference in driving style and because I don't have to engage big muscles in my arms and back to maintain steering.

I think AP may create a problem with the human mind that I will coin: "Phantom Autopilot". This happens when you use autopilot a lot and you just expect the car to be driving itself, even when AP is not engaged. I don't even think better sound warnings, different graphics, etc. will make much of a difference to combat this phenomenon. I think the human brain gravitates towards patterns and reliance, and once it finds new ones, it expects them to be there, even when they are not. Well, at least my brain does. I found myself expecting the car to react even when AP was off which makes no logical sense, but it did happen and it concerns me.

Excellent observations. I've noticed that too, and I think others here have mentioned it. Sooner or later that "phantom autopilot" will probably contribute to an accident, if it hasn't already. To some extend this is human nature, but I'm certain that the design can be improved.

Parenthetically I think we're going to have to get used to accidents having multiple contributing factors, like airplane safety. Right now we're stuck in an "at fault" way of thinking. We should move toward a system where accidents prompt improvements, not finger-pointing.

Reactions: Canuck
. I have been thinking that maybe there are so few Teslas in Alabama (less than 100 statewide) that I am sometimes taking my car over a road (especially in rural areas) where it is the first time a Tesla has traversed that route, and therefore mapping data is imprecise (this will improve with time).

I'm in lower Alabama near Dothan and mapping all I can! I do feel that it learns somewhat as there is a tight (ish) curve with a guardrail on my daily drive to work and the first couple tries on AP I felt the car came too close and I took over control. It now navigates the curve just fine.