Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

• No

Votes: 119 23.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 393 76.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never counted on the federal tax credit. Why should someone who is paying taxes but barely getting by have to help me to by a car? The Model 3 is a car in my price range, it is the right size, performance is great and by the way, is a great looking car!! The fact that Tesla is helping the planet is just a plus, not the main reason that I am buying the car. The upcoming Kia Stinger and Alfa Romero Giulia would be my choices if the Model 3 does not happen.
Good point on those evil government subsidies of EVs. I’ll bet you agree your home county of Stanislaus shouldn’t be receiving those millions in sweet farm subsidies either, right?

Reactions: Tonymil
I already own a P85D but when she tires of her noisy Prius, I might buy another Tesla for my wife. The $7500 tax credit is valuable, of course, but it wouldn't affect my decision. The car is so superior to its competitors that it is worth the premium.

I already own a P85D but when she tires of her noisy Prius, I might buy another Tesla for my wife. The $7500 tax credit is valuable, of course, but it wouldn't affect my decision. The car is so superior to its competitors that it is worth the premium.
We should have a race in your superior car. How about.... Houston to El Paso?

THE WHOLE POINT OF THE FED SUBSIDY WAS TO MAKE CLEAN CARS & EV's MORE AFFORDABLE!
Especially in their early development when their development costs & final price is higher than a comparable ice car!

For me, without the fed subsidy it costs 7500 more than I budgeted & planned for...
With the fed subsidy it was a 28,500 car (35k+1k for paint - 7500).
With the addition of the 2500 CA rebate it made it an affordable 26k car!
At that price I could happily afford it, at 33,500 I can't quite do it confidently.
(And yes I know I will have to owe 7500+ in taxes, which I will.)
Not everyone trying to buy what had been a less than 30k car is cash rich.

Last edited:
Good point on those evil government subsidies of EVs. I’ll bet you agree your home county of Stanislaus shouldn’t be receiving those millions in sweet farm subsidies either, right?
I cannot speak to that since I am just a "little old" retired mailman. I do believe that given our current national debt, we should be re-evaluating all tax cuts and subsidies.

We should have a race in your superior car. How about.... Houston to El Paso?

There are faster cars than the Teslas. If you need a car that can get you from Houston to El Paso as fast as possible and you don't mind spewing filth into the atmosphere and contributing to global climate change, then you don't want a Tesla. If you want every luxury feature ever put in a car, it's not a Tesla. But if you want a car that is quiet, does not contribute to climate change, has instant torque and powerful acceleration, is comfortable, and gets 5-star ratings for safety in every category, and you don't mind stretching your legs, taking a bathroom break, and having a sandwich once every 4 hours or so, then a Tesla is your best choice.

A Tesla won't win any races longer than a quarter mile or so, but for practical driving, that instant torque is sublime, there's plenty of range for most peoples' daily driving, and the dual-motor Teslas hold the road in tight turns like they're on rails.

If you can't afford a Tesla without the tax credit, then you can't afford a Tesla WITH the tax credit.
I think a significant percentage of people would take issue with this statement, and I think it would have a lot to do with what your definition of "afford" is.

For me personally I will phrase it this way: "I will not choose to afford (spend the money on) a Tesla without the tax credit, but I will choose to afford (spend the money on) a Tesla WITH the tax credit". Making a blanket statement about what people can "afford" or not in a car purchase is ill-advised at best.

I partly blame Elon for being behind schedule on the M3. He should reduce the upgrade to LR by $5K as a gesture to those with existing reservations.

Speaking as a shareholder, no, he absolutely should not. That is highly destructive to the margin on the car and would be awful for the company. The actions of government are not the fault of the company.

If you can't afford a Tesla without the tax credit, then you can't afford a Tesla WITH the tax credit.

I can afford one without credit. Heck I can even pay all cash for a loaded 3. But I value car differently; I don't need an expensive car. Any car is good for me as long as it is fun to drive, not a gas hog and have good value. I rather save the money for investment.

I would be happy enough with GTI, or base Kia Stinger; both should be around $30k after negotiate. So in my opinion why spend $36k for a 3 when I am happy with other $30k car? However a $28500 base 3 would be a great value that I can't pass.

This is just my own opinion but you can't said if any of us skip Model 3 because of lack of incentive equal to can't afford the car at all.

• Love
Reactions: DrivingRockies
But if you want a car that is quiet, does not contribute to climate change,
I stopped right here. I suppose you think the aluminum on the tesla is made by fairy dust. The batteries are made of flower petals. The electricity(I'm going to assume most owners don't have solar panels) comes from magic pixies. And those tires... Certainly no environmental impact there. Do we even need to discuss the rare metals involved in tesla production and the eco destruction that occurs in mining them?

Thanks for telling us that none of those things contribute to climate change. I wasn't sure.

Yes, but I realize it's mostly a borderline fanatical devotion to Tesla's EV mission coupled with a healthy dose of spite for these oil industry funded clowns masquerading as Republicans that will allow me to do so. There are some very nice cars at this price range with proven track records. Buying a Model 3 is still a risk in comparison--a risk I think it is wise of the government to offset. People seem to think this is about helping out people who are already doing quite well with a huge tax break. Really, it is about incentivising a desired behavior until the industry can support itself. It's a carrot to help launch this technology through adolescence until it can hold its own, and hopefully thrive, in a free market. Everyone wins if it succeeds. It's a much better (and less Draconian) approach than just setting a target date for banning all gas vehicles.

I think a significant percentage of people would take issue with this statement, and I think it would have a lot to do with what your definition of "afford" is.

For me personally I will phrase it this way: "I will not choose to afford (spend the money on) a Tesla without the tax credit, but I will choose to afford (spend the money on) a Tesla WITH the tax credit". Making a blanket statement about what people can "afford" or not in a car purchase is ill-advised at best.
I though political correctness and polite speech was not in vogue ?

How about a less clumsy "I am willing to spend <<this much>> "
Of course, as any car salesperson knows, that number is fluid.

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
Looking at inventory Model S now. ~$10k inventory discount on the car, $7500 rebate, $2500 CA rebate (maybe, but definitely won't be able to next year)...LR+PUP+FSD = 57k, spend about 15k more for a better car seems like a good plan right about now.