Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model 3 Dissuasion?

Q1-2017 earning call reinforces that Model 3 is inferior to Model S. How does this affect you as a?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's just like selling BMW 7 series first, and then launching smaller, more affordable 3 series after. Don't know why people are having almost shameless expectation for Model 3.
Thing is, there are advantages of the 3-series over the 7-series. M3 aside, 3-series are more sporty and fun to drive than 7-series, which focus on luxury.

There's no reason to choose Model 3 over Model S.

• Disagree
Reactions: AndreN
The wording of this poll is heavily biased, so I chose:

C. not answering it.

In my mind, it's not that the Model 3 is inferior or lesser than a Model S, it just targets different people with a different value set than the Model S has.

I don't need something that big, or that "luxurious", so I'm not buying it, even though I could.

That being said, I'll still likely check every box available on the Model 3, because for me, and for what I want, a "loaded" 3 has more value dollar-for-dollar, than a similarly-priced, but less-optioned Model S.

Did everyone see new talking points that have just been leaked?

Tesla says Model 3 will have fewer than 100 configurations to Model S’ more than 1,500

Usually, Tesla would come out with expensive Performance cars first but this time, looks like the standard version of 5.6 sec acceleration is announced with no mention of any faster than that.

Looks like the Supercharger will be Pay-Per-Use which is not a big deal as it was practiced for the past several months for the S and X until its reversal for now.

Last edited:
How about another Model 3 dissuasion: Could it be less leg room for rear passengers?

Rare Interior Pics of Tesla Model 3 Show Tight Backseat Legroom and Nothing Like Spaceship

tesla_model_3_backseat.jpg

tesla_model3_back.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
How about another Model 3 dissuasion: Could it be less leg room for rear passengers?

Rare Interior Pics of Tesla Model 3 Show Tight Backseat Legroom and Nothing Like Spaceship

tesla_model_3_backseat.jpg

tesla_model3_back.jpg

The camera angle looks a little tricky here. Are the front seats angled back? are they pushed all the way back? The people who rode in the back at reveal 1 seemed to think there was plenty of legroom.

For me, it likely won't matter. My wife and I are 5'8" and 5'4", respectively. Whoever is sitting behind either of us should have plenty of legroom.

Cool. What car did you order?

So the car will be under your name? I recall reading it's not possible to transfer the reservation to someone else, even family though I could be wrong.

I didn't cancel and still awaiting updates from other BEV manufacturers as to when their products are coming to market. No point cancelling for now since it doesn't seem so easy to order BEVs aside from the Leaf (since a new one is coming) or the Bolt (issues with logistics in Canada and I don't like the Bolt styling though it seems more practical than the M3).

Some disadvantages from handover night are:

No AM radio (Model S does, but X doesn't either)

No Air Suspension

GPS enabled Homelink not listed as an option at all

Tow package not listed as an option but most likely oversight because it was tweeted last year.

When rear camera is on, other functions such as music display, navigation would be hidden
(conventional 17" can display 2 functions at a time, like music display and rear camera...)

Some disadvantages from handover night are:

No AM radio (Model S does, but X doesn't either)

No Air Suspension

GPS enabled Homelink not listed as an option at all

Tow package not listed as an option but most likely oversight because it was tweeted last year.

When rear camera is on, other functions such as music display, navigation would be hidden
(conventional 17" can display 2 functions at a time, like music display and rear camera...)
Another is that the long distance version is not nearly as quick as the new Model S with nearly the same capacity.

I really hope that dual motors or ludicrous bring the acceleration to even compete with a BMW 340i let alone an M3.

Could it be because:

1) smaller battery means slower charging rate?
2) new kind of battery, different kind of cell chemistry that just can't take faster charging rate?
3) artificially software limited?

hmmmmmmm!
Same battery capacity so that's not it.
It could be a chemistry issue or even a rumored BMS/cooling problem.
#3 is the most likely and that it's software limited. The Model 3 is so much lighter it should achieve far better times.